Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By gonzo89
  • 4 Post By Dimal
  • 3 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By gonzo89
  • 1 Post By Daniellet

Thread: Help! First purchase do I go with Lelit PL41TEM or is there a better choice?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Help! First purchase do I go with Lelit PL41TEM or is there a better choice?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The research and budget has kept me coming back to Lelit ,$900. is my absolute limit, and reading through posts you guys have give some really good advise on what is needed, I have not had a good machine at home but miss the ol'days working in cafe's and making good coffee. Now Im in the position to get a good machine, I don't want to stuff it up and get something only to find down the track that I could have made better choice with better knowledge and spent my $$$ on a let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniellet View Post
    The research and budget has kept me coming back to Lelit ,$900.
    Hi Danielle, I and several others will certainly assure you that this conclusion you come back to has a good reason.
    Once you start spending good money on a machine there are not necessarily let downs, just limitations. In saying that, those limitations are not a negative. Every persons demands of a machine are different. If you don't intend to make more than 4 lattes or espressos per session then a small single boiler machine is all you need. These machines pull a very nice espresso/ristretto, whatever you prefer. Heat up quick, decent steaming capacity for 2-4 lattes and don't have much under the hood that can go wrong.

For under $1000 Lelit's are a category killer because you have the options of a PID and a decent built in grinder (both if you can afford it). Up until just recently I owned 2 of these machines, the old re-brand model and one of the new ones. You won't have to worry about it dying on you, I have witnessed what a mini tank of a machine these truly are.

There isn't much need to go on about its quality because the machine speaks for itself and the price is excellent. One thing though.. What do you intend to use as a grinder? You said you were looking at the Pl041TEM (PID but no grinder). If you do not yet have a decent grinder I would suggest looking at the PL042EMI (no PID) which has the built in conical burr grinder. It costs only a few dollars extra (literally).

I would suggest you go in store for a demonstration. Since you are based in Melbourne I would highly recommend you get in touch with Chris from Talk Coffee who is also a site sponsor.
    Dimal and chokkidog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo89 View Post

For under $1000 Lelit's are a category killer because you have the options of a PID and a decent built in grinder (both if you can afford it).
    Just don’t get this one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47fD2NMgMrk

seriously though , any machine can arrive defective but i imagine it would be very bad luck.

personally i like the silvia / sunbeam grinder combo for under 900 (just while the dollar is hanging in there) .

the Lelits are pretty much a mechanical clone of the silvias but a gauge and PID in the package definitely makes then better value out of the box for features.

the negative for me as they havnt been in circulation as long as the sivlia which is up to V4 now and ironed out a couple of the previous issues.
    also for me adding a PID was trivial.

Personally, I think it is irrelevant that the Silvia has been around longer than Lelit and their clones. Lelit machines have been around more than a decade (and probably a lot longer than this), and for my money, they have put in a lot more development time and money into their range of products than Rancilio have into their Silvia. The Silvia hasn't really kept up with the times.... Still a great basic machine of course but not necessarily the best bang for buck these days.

I owned an Imat Mokita (Lelit clone) for quite some time coupled with various grinders along the way, and I never found the Mokita wanting, for espresso shot quality at any stage. In fact, some of the best coffee I've ever been fortunate enough to drink was made with the Mokita and never bettered by anything I've owned since. Sure, some of the machines I've owned more recently are easier to use and more convenient in a number of ways but when the quality of the coffee produced is the only yardstick, the Mokita was great.

The Lelit range of machines are great performers and so long as the owner does their bit, they won't let you down...

Mal.

TC
    Welcome Daniellet,

As always, the proof will be in the cup. I agree with the comments above and if you'd like to see it in action, we have a brand spanking PL041TEMD on our demo bench just itching to make its debut.

You are most welcome to make a time to see and decide for yourself. The rest is just internet opinion!

Cheers.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post

You are most welcome to make a time to see and decide for yourself. The rest is just internet opinion!

Cheers.

Chris
    Straight from the horses mouth

Some love their Lelit's, some love their Silvia's, but nobody said they disliked either. A test run is the only way to decide Danielle.

Also, to add to comments earlier about which machine has been around longer, it is irrelevant. Innovation gives us new things to play with and addresses the limitations/needs of a machine. A grinder and PID in a neat little package for that price is a solid deal.

Speaking of innovation, I can't take my eyes off of those "Ambient &Spresso" machines Chris. I can't wait to hear more about them once a few start to roll out the door.
    Dimal likes this.

A few months back I was in the same dilemma....buy a silva or lelit. Buy with a PID or no PID. What grinder to buy and use.

Things that I have learnt.

- fresh good coffee our ranks anything. Shit coffee will always be shit....no
    Matter how good a barista, grinder or coffee machine you use
    -buy a good grinder. You can still have an amazing coffee that is from a filter paper with fresh coffee and a good grind. I ended up getting compak push k3 but rocky is also good. Maybe start there first and sample for a month or two until you can afford machine. You will be amazed how good coffee is this way
    - you can make 1-2 coffees at a time with a single boiler machine. So unless you need to be making more than 2 coffees in one go a single boiler is fine. Also if you have to be able to froth the same time as extracting then go with dual boiler.
    - you don't need to do a coffee course straight away but it sure helps you understand your machine and grinder faster and get a better coffee. Try one of the site sponsors (I used jetblack) where they had my machine and I brought in my own grinder to learn from
    - you can always buy a second hand machine from a site sponsor or off this forum and upgrade later

What ever you do will be the right decision. Most machines are good and you just need to learn how they work. Some people are fussy and say that machine x is crap cause it doesn't do feature a or machine y can do it better for some other reason. Reality is - unless you are an expert your not really going to know the difference. And if you practice or really are that good you should be able to get an excellent coffee just about out of any good grinder with fresh coffee

Good luck

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Chris, I think this may be a good plan for me and will head down after christmas and have a good look. Thanks
    JetBlack_Espresso likes this.