Thread: New Em6910 leaking under waste tray

New Em6910 leaking under waste tray

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have my Em6910 back into the warranty repairers for a bad leak under the waste water tray for the 4th time

When used at home it leaks to the point of water running down its legs from under the tray by the time the tray is half full, it goes into the repair center and no leak, when I get it home it does not leak for 24 hours or so and then it starts up again.

This behaviour started about a month after purchase and slowly got worse.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause might be as the repairer doesn't have a clue?

Its in the repair center again currently.

Thanks

This problem was observed and rectified by Sunbeam many years ago. There was a service bulletin and spare part released for it.
    If your repairer doesn't know what the problem is, being a Sunbeam service agent, this worries me. If I were you I would be choosing another service agent from now on.

On to the problem. Where the solenoid valve dumps the drain water into the tray, there should be no gap between the water outlet and drip tray. This ensures that the drip tray catches all the water.
    On the older machines (and very select newer machines) the gap was too large or the surface of the outlet too rough or something which causes the water to leak back under the pipe and under the drip tray. This is similar to what happens when you tip water too slowly out of a cup. The water will run back under the cup and drip off somewhere you don't want it to.

Sunbeam released a brass insert for the dumping nozzle which fixed this problem. It needs to be attached with Loctite and once done, you will have no more problems.

I have attached the service bulletin regarding this repair. It contains the part number you need and the repair process. Perhaps you can print it out and take it to your repairers and ask them why they didn't know about it. Frankly, for them to be offering warranty service for a company and not knowing basic problems with the machines is appalling.

Service Bulletin #8 EM6910 Dumping Nozzle Brass Insert.pdf

Thanks for that noidle22, they fitted that on the first visit and it didn't leak for a week or so, nipple is still fitted but the machine is still leaking

Oh I did forget to add one bit to the post, the water appears to come out from under the grey plastic behind the water spout area, I was discussing the issue with the tech and he said the only water that goes there is from the dump valve, I suggested maybe replacing the valve if that was the only possibilty but he dismissed the idea.

I used to work on office equipment including Saeco coffee vending machines, but as it is under warranty I don't want to dismantle it myself.

Oh ok, that makes it a bit easier to understand then. From your initial post it sounded as though they just kept sending the machine back to you without doing anything as they couldn't replicate the problem.

Only other thing in that exact area is the silicone hose that is cable tied onto the nozzle. If the cable tie is loose or the silicone hose is damaged then it will leak.
    I've seen a lot of older EM6910's where the cable tie snaps and the hose comes off altogether but this will dump water straight onto the bench. If it's a damaged hose or something then the leak could work its way along the plastic then be seen how you are observing it.

Perhaps see if they have checked the hose and cable tie. If they've checked it, just get them to replace them both anyway.

I second noidle's comment about the silicone pipe. Same thing happened to mine.
    From memory I removed the rear cover, ran a blind shot to see where the leak came from and away I went (please be careful as here is high voltage in there)
    With a little patience (prob took an hour from go to woah) some tools and a new cable tie (didn't even look like there has a cable tie on my silicone pipe to start with) my baby was up and running. I would definitely get it repaired professionally if still under warranty as it is pretty tight to get into where my pipe popped off.
    Ray

Repairer gave up, contacted Sunbeem could not offer any suggestion and they organised a replacement through the original retailer.
    The warranty is restarted from yesterday (bonus) and there are a few small differences suggesting that maybe the first one was old stock?

Quote Originally Posted by geebee666 View Post
    Repairer gave up, contacted Sunbeem could not offer any suggestion and they organised a replacement through the original retailer.
    The warranty is restarted from yesterday (bonus) and there are a few small differences suggesting that maybe the first one was old stock?
    Hi geebee666

There are many different 6910's, roughly divided into "very old (2009 ish)" and newer models (i.e. newer than that). Easiest way to pick it: the "red dot" in the drip tray changed from round to rectangular. If you had an old style one, it would be very old stock indeed...

The drip tray on some individual ones does not fit properly - that is the other common cause of leaks.

Good luck with your next one - hopefully it is not another Monday morning one.

TampIt