Thread: EM6910 Steam knob or microswitch

EM6910 Steam knob or microswitch

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

The steam knob on my machine is very touchy. When I turn it sometimes it will turn on the steam sometimes not. If I let go of it the steam stops straight away. This is making steaming the milk tricky.

I assume I need a replacement part for this has anyone encountered this issue before or have any idea where to get the part? I can find the plastic knobs online but not any internals.

Thanks

First thing to try - take off the knob and make sure the screw in the middle hasn't come undone. I had all kinds of steam problems until I found the screw issue - tightened it and suddenly steam became predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    First thing to try - take off the knob and make sure the screw in the middle hasn't come undone. I had all kinds of steam problems until I found the screw issue - tightened it and suddenly steam became predictable.
    hello
    Sent you a PM, but trying this way too!. Can you tell me how you remove the steam knob?
    Thanks
    Bernard b

Quote Originally Posted by bernardb View Post
    hello
    Sent you a PM, but trying this way too!. Can you tell me how you remove the steam knob?
    Thanks
    Bernard b
    G'Day Bernard b

JM has moved on from CS quite a while ago (no, not died - bloody political correctness) - changed location & state. Doing well last I heard (a few months ago).

The steam knob actually just pulls straight off. Unfortunately, most are full of crud from people being careless / filthy / failing to do maintenance so they can be tricky if you haven't done one before. You can practice on the water knob - same attachment system.

For the hard core cases I usually use two wide blade knives (carefully) - one left to right, the other right to left i.e. "one under / one over" the knob and try to lever the knob straight off. So far even the worst ones have not broken (touching wood). Two thin spatulas would probably be safer...

Hope this helps

TampIt
    PS: I am pretty sure I have a spare steam tap for cost of postage. PM me if needed and I will try my exhumation skills.

The control knob itself is quite thin and gets rather brittle with age. I have repaired a couple recently where shards of plastic had broken off the skirt of the knob and become wedged under the actuator lever of the microswitch making steaming intermittent. It may pay to check for this when you get the knob off.
    Trev