Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cameronb

Thread: Lelit Combi issues.

Lelit Combi issues.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all.

So I went ahead and bought the Combi from Lelit a little while back and it worked great for a little while. Now, I can't pull a shot with it, without it leaking all around the grouphead.

The Problem
    When pulling a shot, the gauge will get up to about 8 bars and then there will be a leak around the grouphead (sometimes immediately on pressure building other times after the shot has just started), spraying water and coffee everywhere, losing pressure, and forcing me to abandon it all.

What I have tried
    Increase/decrease tamp pressure;
    Experiment with grind coarseness (I will note that I do get a shot out of a very coarse grind, at about 2 bars of pressure, which is watery and completely underextracted)
    Experiment with whether a shorter/longer warm up time is the issue.
    Test different levels of fullness in the basket
    Backflushed - although it replicates the issue well and truly before the pressure builds up.
    Took it back to the supplier for repair - although they couldn't find anything wrong on first viewing, it then replicated the issue when I went to pick it up, and then the group head, seal, shower and handle were all replaced - yet the problem remains.

The issue continues though, I worried it was user error, however I have been using both commercial and domestic machines for over 10 years and while not a pro, I know the mistakes that I can make and how to rectify these issues.

So, has anyone else had any of these issues with a Lelit, and are there any solutions that I may not have tried as yet?

Cheers
    Cameron

If the problem remained after the work was done, why was it let out of the workshop?

What 'handle' was replaced? Sounds like you're just not getting an effective seal when the p/f is locked into the group.

If it's not the group seal, is it the lugs on the p/f not being the right fit, i.e. too thin?

Are you using a standard Lelit p/f?

Really sounds like something that you need to take up with the business that you bought the unit from, to be honest. Given that the fault appeared at the service premises, and was then worked on, you need to have it completely rectified under the purchase/service warranty. Seems like a faulty component in the brew circuit needs to be identified and repaired/replaced...

Mal.

TC
    It's possible it's just coffee under the group seal. It could be variation between dispersion plate/collar/portafilter lugs, but it seems that has already been looked at- so I'm with Dimal. Best have it checked.

Standard Lelit p/f.

Sorry 'handle' was p/f just transcribed directly from the repair invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Really sounds like something that you need to take up with the business that you bought the unit from, to be honest. Given that the fault appeared at the service premises, and was then worked on, you need to have it completely rectified under the purchase/service warranty. Seems like a faulty component in the brew circuit needs to be identified and repaired/replaced...
    Yep - guy I bought it through has been great, so will take it back. Just wasn't sure whether this was an issue that other people have had with the Lelit, although on the whole it seems like a really good machine. Taking it back after Christmas for it to be looked at and will go from there.

Like I say it works for an under-extracted coffee at the moment, but I don't dare risking using it and placing it at further risk of damage, I suppose it is back to the plunger for a little while
    Dimal likes this.

I am shocked that your repairer cannot fix the issue and is generating such a high parts bill for you without a fix. Your machine has to be seriously worn out to replace the group head collar and portafilter. Is the repairer using the correct lelit gasket? Is he cleaning the surfaces during gasket replacements?

In my experience when you replace the group head gasket on the Lelit; you really need to clean the area around the gasket. My experience has shown this method works for me:

1) The best bet is to remove the group collar (chromed brass) which exposes the lower brass boiler with the group head gasket and shower screen attached.
    1a) You beed an 8mm socket (ideally connected to a screw driver socket bit). The thinner the socket the better as it can be a really tight fit.

2) Remove the shower screen if it is a mesh type. If you have a disc type you don't need to remove it, but it is good for cleanning.

3) Pull the group head gasket off from the groove it sits in

4) Use a copper/brass wire brush to quickly clean the groove. Being copper/brass it should not damage the brass as it is of similar hardness. Small stainless steel wire brushes work fine, but are aggressive. Alternatively use steel wool.
    4a) You can use the reflective properties on the polished stainless steel body to aid you cleaning the rear of the brass groove.

5) Clean the area with backflush cleaner. Mild detergent is also fine, but flush it well with water.

6) Reinstall a new grouphead gasket:
    6a) If you have it use some food safe/potable water safe silicone grease around the gasket groove and all over the gasket. This helps it seal and extends the life of the gasket.

7) Reinstall the shower screen if removed.
    7) If you have it use some food safe/potable water safe grease on the screw thread. Makes your life easier for the next removal.

8) Attach the group head collar to the screw threads. Make sure it is facing the correct way (With the machine upright, the slit should be diagonal: On the right in the front; and the left at the rear).

9) Reinstall the nuts.
    9a) If you have it use some food safe/potable water safe silicone grease around the screw thread to make your life easier into the future.

You can turn the machine upside down to make the repair a bit easier, but it is not necessary.

Good luck fixing the machine, but it seems like a bit of a joke that this simple repair is not done right the 1st time. Hopefully it will not cost you a cent more to fix it.

As above, so long as the areas the seal touches are thoroughly cleaned (and seal is serviceable) it should not leak.

Just as my old Faema E98 group slowly gained coffee oils etc behind the group seal (hardly visible) and if this wasn't thoroughly cleaned (I used hot water with coffee cleaner and scrubbing cloth) it would leak. This was the case even with good backflushing regime etc.

Cheers

Thanks again for the replies - have been happy that so far everything has been covered under the warranty. However, it is frustrating not having a machine that works over the holidays!

I hope that it is fixed the next time around.