Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 2 Post By ijenkins99

Thread: Choosing a machine in $800AUD + range

Choosing a machine in $800AUD + range

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello snobs!
    I am sick and tired of my Gaggia Baby Class 2006 after its leakiness after Rancilio wand upgrade and general low end capabilities, hard to believe but I nearly prefer my old Italian made Carezza, at least it didn't leak everywhere.
    Anyway I am using this excuse to upgrade hehe, my plan is to purchase second hand to save some $$
    In my home I make a double shot latte in the morning, then my dad makes a quad shot, then my brother makes a quad shot and then in the afternoon I might make my self another couple of double shot lattes or espressos as well as my brother making another quad shot + if I have guests they can have anything.
    So it will go through it's paces. I already have a knock-box, 58mm tamp, blind disc, milk pitcher and dosser-less rebadged Gaggia MDF with a 3d printed spout .
    I also like microfoam that is essential!

So far I like the idea of the following machines:
    Nuova Simonelli Oscar - check this out: Gumtree link removed per site posting policy
    Breville Dual Boiler (new updated model)
    Expobar Office semiauto (non e61)
    Gaggia Classic 2012 Model (mixed thoughts)
    Cheap e61, if there is such a thing

Your thoughts are appreciated, thank you for your time!

From Seb
    Last edited by Javaphile; 29th December 2014 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Gumtree link removed

I love the Gaggia Classic, but I do agree it has issues. Not sure if it is by design or cost, but that aluminium upper boiler and lower brass boiler causes all the issues in the long term. The generally the aluminium upper corrodes within 5 years around the sealing o-rings causing leaks. However I do love the concept of putting the heater elements external to the boiler. Almost impossible to burn out if the boiler is dry. If they made the upper in brass it would be awesome for me as a mostly non-milk drinker. Personally if you are considering a Gaggia Classic I would go for new (you should get 4-5 years without issue).

In regards to purchasing 2nd hand machines; just factor in unexpected repair costs. You never know what issues a machine has until you use it for a while. Athough HX machines are awesome for steam, they are more complicated with autofilling mechanisms. That might be worth considering.

Another option with slightly better steaming than the Gaggia would be a Silvia. It has a 58mm porta filter (you can keep your existing tamper), unlike most Lelits (57mm) on the 2nd hand market. These options are single boiler solutions though.

Good luck with finding an avalaible machine on the 2nd hand market and with you future purchase.

Totally agree with methos above post regarding the gaggia classic. A single boiler machine with brass boiler and embedded element would be the bomb for a lot of dommo users.

Quote Originally Posted by koshari;
    A single boiler machine with brass boiler and embedded element would be the bomb for a lot of dommo users.
    You are describing an Ascaso Dream , brass 330ml boiler, external element, 3 way valve, solid cast construction, 58mm PF.
    But, like most cheaper machines, they have poor temp control and need a PID added to brew well.
    the Ascaso Duo is similar with a separate steam boiler

G'day Seb'...

Why go second hand mate, when you could have a new one of these....
    Lelit PL41LEM Espresso Machine

These are a great little machine, excellent quality build and capable of producing excellent espresso. Worth a look anyway...

Mal.
    gonzo89 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    You are describing an Ascaso Dream , brass 330ml boiler, external element, 3 way valve, solid cast construction, 58mm PF.
    But, like most cheaper machines, they have poor temp control and need a PID added to brew well.
    the Ascaso Duo is similar with a separate steam boiler
    If I ware looking for another machine I would definitely consider one of these. They look pretty funky as well. Bit of art deco happinin there. Adding PID is a walk in the park.

TC
    I wouldn't buy an Ascaso anything in an espresso machine to be honest. If I was going to PID something <$1k, it would be a pre-loved VBM Piccolo or Diadema Perfetta.

Taking your milk consumption into consideration pretty much eliminates this though. I'd suggest the Breville if you can cope with a possible <5 year life. Alternately a good pre-loved HX. I'm personally not at all keen on the Oscar or low end Expobars, but they have their fans.

Cheris
    Dimal likes this.

Do The piccoli and perfetta have limited steaming abilities?

TC
    They are single boiler machines and need to be handled in the same way as all single boiler machines. Think boiler priming.

When I wanted to upgrade from my Quaha Napoletana II, I thought an E61 of some sort would be the way to go. Read a review in SMH that put newly released Breville Dual Boiler above all the usual suspects.. I was very sceptical, but a Myer deal that bundled the Breville Smart Grinder with the Dual Boiler was too good to pass up. After nearly 2 years of faultless operation, I couldn't recommend the Breville more highly. Great espresso and sensational milk.
    Brewster and level3ninja like this.