Thread: Sunbeam EM6910 water pump gone?

Sunbeam EM6910 water pump gone?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi before I fork out for a new water pump I was hoping someone here could offer me their advice. When I run the hot water or pour a shot with any button my machine is making a buzzing (maybe electrical) noise. I pulled the back off cleaned it up, descaled etc but noise still there. What I think has been happening is the junction above the water pump has been leaking a little water down onto the electical pump. I know this as I watched inside from the back while I was descaling the unit. The picture will hopefully explain it better than I can.

1st photo is a close up of pump which I believe is this part? http://spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/pr...2&pcid=2746412

2nd photo is zoomed out a bit where you can see the junction above the red pump which was/is leaking. I tried to tighten the zip tie.

Any help about whether this buzzing noise is the pump on its way out is much appreciated?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello diders ,
    Welcome,I have several of your sunbeam model espresso ,both em6900 and em6910 and I think they are great machines although just a bit noisy.
    Your description of the noise while brewing etc sounds like it may need priming (the pump ,that is).
    Are you getting the usual quantity of flow from the hot water spout or through the group head,if so then priming is unlikely the cause of your noise.
    While the back is off and brewing a shot (or pouring hot water)are you seeing water escaping from the bypass (pump outlet) or anywhere else?
    Cheers
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Welcome,I have several of your sunbeam model espresso ...
    Hi Mick, thanks for the reply. I noticed this morning when pouring a shot that the pressure didn't get up properly as the guage was lower than normal and the hot water spout is now coming out quite slow in dribbly spurts sometimes. The pressure definitely appears to have dropped. There was water escaping but I've since tightened the zip tie around the t intersection above pump. When you say priming isn't this something the pump automatically does? I was thinking it could be a blockage but given water dribbled onto motor while I was watching, there is a strange buzz noise and pressure has now dropped substantially I'd say water pump could be about to die?

Dear diders,
    Perhaps not correctly pumping however,there is still life in your ulka vibration pump.
    I have confirmed the operation of some similar pumps by direct electrical connection,bypassing all the sunbeam electronics.
    Three core cable with insulated spade terminals, active,neutral to the pump and earth to the inner chassis fitted with a inline switch (you could also simply connect to a switchable board).
    Once disconnected existing terminals,fit bypass cable ,energize and listen and observe pumping operation.
    Be very aware of 240volt potential..... Be very careful observe electrical safety at all times.
    If pump operates correctly (make sure you have knob open for hot water flow)you have confirmed your problem, if noisy with poor flow ,pump will have to be disassembled to clear blockage/obstruction.
    Before pulling out pump you could also try priming the pump by forcing water into the internal water tank inlet using a hose and in combination with the pump bypass.
    I'll keep an eye out for your next action to hopefully resolve your problem.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Thanks Mick all excellent ideas will give them a go tonight. One of my mates suggested taking pump out and connecting directly to 240v, ill do as you say and leave in do bypass with hot water flow open. I might try the hose thing first to inject some water as I noticed when observing the descaling solution going through from the back it was not going up the pipe properly and seemed sporadic, maybe this will help prime it. Thanks again.

To prime the water pump on this machine, open your steam tap and hot water tap at the same time. If this doesn't work then there's something else wrong.

A buzzing noise from this machine usually indicates a faulty solenoid which can affect pressure. Pull a shot through your dual wall basket and observe if any water is leaking into the drip tray from the dumping nozzle. If so, your solenoid is leaking. You can disassemble and clean the solenoid or replace it.

Hi noidle22
    I ran the test and water flowed when both steam and hot water on. I poured a shot with dual wall basket and with drip tray removed so I could see the overflow thing down the bottom and sure enough a good bit of water came out but only at the very end when the shot had finished pouring and pump stopped. So this would be the solenoid?

Thanks for the reply noidle. You may have saved me buying a new pump!

My next question is... Is this thing hard to clean? Any tips? I noticed to replace its actually more than a pump at $132!

No, that sounds like your solenoid is ok. It will dump a significant amount of water at the end of the shot, as it is meant to do, but if you couldn't see any water leaking into the tray whilst the shot was being poured that means that the solenoid is ok. The solenoids can still buzz alarmingly but function normally sometimes, this may be what you are experiencing.
    The solenoid coil is the black box to the left of the pump with the three wires going into it, this is what can buzz. I do notice in your photo that there is some noticeable green residue at the top of the solenoid coil where it meets the solenoid body. This can be indicative of a leak but at the moment it sounds like it's ok. If it dies, don't pay the ridiculous amount for a Sunbeam solenoid, send me a message and I can send you one much cheaper.

Has the pump pressure improved since you ran the hot water and steam at the same time? If so then you're good to go. If not then it does sound like the pump may be the problem. It would be a good idea to remove your shower screens and check for any coffee build up behind them as this may impede flow. Also, if your group collar or group seal is worn, this will also leak pressure during the shot. You will generally notice this as water will leak from around the edge of the portafilter but it may be a small enough leak that it reduces the pressure but is not a noticeable leak. I have seen this a few times.

To clean your solenoid valve, you use the backflushing disk that came with your machine, that's the grey disk that sits in the door of the machine. This disc will fit best inside the single wall double shot basket.
    You put a cleaning tablet, or a teaspoon of cleaning powder (available from coffeeparts.com.au) on the disk, insert the portafilter into the machine and then with the machine off, press and hold the one and two cup buttons and then press power. The lights should start to flash from left to right.
    This initiates the cleaning cycle, it will take about 10 minutes. Clean the basket and portafilter with fresh water after use.

Alternatively, you can run the cleaning cycle manually. Insert the disk and powder, press the manual button and wait until the pressure climbs and the pump goes quiet. Press the manual button again and the machine will release a lot of water and foamy, brown coloured water into the tray (this is normal and good, it means it's doing its job). Rest the machine for about 10-15 seconds then run it again. Cycle this 5-7 times.
    Remove the portafilter, rinse out the basket and disk then reinsert. Run the cycle another 5-7 times to flush it.
    Pull and discard a shot then it's ready to go. This process should be done after every 15-20 shots.
    You can backflush without the powder as well which will remove a surface layer of residue but won't deep clean like the powder will.

Funilly enough when I ran the steam and hot water together the hot water came out with much better pressure. I haven't had the machine long (2nd hand) but I have back flushed a sunbeam tablet with lots of brown water resulting. I also cleaned the shower screen x2(there was another one inside) and scraped all the crud off brew block head (I made that terminology up). I'm thinking if it was never cleaned regularly perhaps some scale dislodged in my cleaning attemps. I hear people speak of cafetta powder for back flushing what's a good descaling solution?(vinegar?prefer not) I will try your manual backflush cycle x5-7 with tablet and see how that goes. Thanks again!

Disregard my last stupid question I found cafetto descalling solution on coffee parts website!

Yeah stick with Cafetto for your cleaning needs. I use Cafetto exclusively at my shop, always does the job well and is reasonably priced.
    I'm unsure of your conclusion, but the cleaning powder is different from the descaling powder. Use Cafetto Espresso Clean for backflushing and cleaning of portafilter, baskets, group head and use Cafetto Restore for descaling.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Yeah stick with Cafetto for your cleaning needs. I use Cafetto exclusively at my shop, always does the job well and is reasonably priced.
    I'm unsure of your conclusion, but the cleaning powder is different from the descaling powder. Use Cafetto Espresso Clean for backflushing and cleaning of portafilter, baskets, group head and use Cafetto Restore for descaling.
    Yes thanks for the tip Noidle I understand one is for descaling the other back flushing. Would the 'Cafetto Vanish Descaler - 480 grams' be too caustic for my home machine? It says for commercial machines only and by use of a technician. Just seems much better value!