Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 problem

Sunbeam EM7000 problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Coffee Lovers

Our machine is 15 months old. Once we got the hang of packing and tamping, it has made consistently good coffee. The dose seems just right; too much and it won't fit into the collar. We use good quality commercial beans. Our objective is to "go for green" but this has become harder to achieve in recent months. The Sunbeam grinder has been set at #5 but recently I reduced it to #3 as we rarely get to green. Lately, the group head has self-rotated out of the collar and it's happening more often now with resultant mess and language!

I will appreciate your thoughts on why this is happening.

All the best, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RayJen View Post
    Hi Coffee Lovers

Our machine is 15 months old. Once we got the hang of packing and tamping, it has made consistently good coffee. The dose seems just right; too much and it won't fit into the collar. We use good quality commercial beans. Our objective is to "go for green" but this has become harder to achieve in recent months. The Sunbeam grinder has been set at #5 but recently I reduced it to #3 as we rarely get to green. Lately, the group head has self-rotated out of the collar and it's happening more often now with resultant mess and language!

I will appreciate your thoughts on why this is happening.

All the best, Ray
    Hi Ray

Insufficient info to be sure, however two things spring to mind for a starter.

1) The grinder needs a good clean and recalibrate. That would explain the "#5 but recently I reduced it to #3" bit. What type of grinder is it? It may need shimming.
    2) Have you removed the two showerscreens and cleaned them? 7000's tend to stay clean however correct dosing is nowhere near the "won't fit into the collar" comment. Overdosing increases the gunk between the two showerscreens exponentially. Please give a brief rundown of your maintenance routine after every shot / week / whatever.

After we have that info, it will be easier to diagnose.

TampIt

Thanks TampIt: I obviously don't know much about this. We have a Sunbeam Cafe Series Conical Burr Grinder EM0480, about 2 years old. I have done nothing much to maintain either machine so will obviously have to undertake regular maintenance. Can I remove the shower screens or is that a Sunbeam service? And I will read up in CS about how to shim.

Ray jen. Mine does the exact same thing. Called sunbeam who suggested it was a worn rubber and sent a replacement. This did resolve the problem for about a week and it then came back. I agree it is annoying and the only fix i have is to keep one hand on the Porta filter while the coffee is extracting.
    I do back flush regularly and also decade so I personally don't think it is a cleaning problem.
    I look forward to others responses on this.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RayJen View Post
    Thanks TampIt: I obviously don't know much about this. We have a Sunbeam Cafe Series Conical Burr Grinder EM0480, about 2 years old. I have done nothing much to maintain either machine so will obviously have to undertake regular maintenance. Can I remove the shower screens or is that a Sunbeam service? And I will read up in CS about how to shim.
    A no 2 phillips head screw in the centre of the showerscreens. If you have not removed them before, http://coffeesnobs.com.au/attachment..._Head_Seal.pdf has the "official instructions".

TampIt
    Tip - if it is really solidly in situ, try leaving the screw out and pulling a slightly underdosed shot. Have a big bowl under the group to catch the bits and the sprays!

Note: A combination of overdosing & lack of maintenance is the easiest way to destroy seals (and collars). Even the repair techs have long since given up explaining correct use to customers, they just send replacements whilst the machine does an ever increasing vicious circle of destruction.

My 2010 6910 is still on its original seal & collar...

My 2008 one - according to the warranty guy it had pulled over 5000 shots before I got it as "new" 18 months after it was made - thanks Hardly Normal Belmont! The collar had nearly 2mm of wear... not bad for the mere 30 shots I had pulled... After the final good repair (quite a saga) it is still going with no more hassles.

Thanks TampIt, and hoolahoopa for comment; I will do a big job on both machines and see how we go. Best from NSW, Ray