Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 - Puck sticks to shower screen

Sunbeam EM7000 - Puck sticks to shower screen

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I recently got a Sunbeam EM7000RE, and every now and again, I realised the puck stays on the shower screen and doesn't come down with the filter. Also at times, the filter and the puck stays on the shower screen and completely separates from the group head.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this (either on the same machine or other equipment). My guess is that if I tamped it too firm, this occurs? But that's only a guess.

Also as a side question (tagging along this thread); at the moment my steamer is running at a default 0.3s on/0.5s off, to create a dryer steam, should we decrease the "on" time (assuming on time means the time that the steamer spits water/air mixture)?

Thanks in advance,
    Brendan

Lots of discussions on this topic.

Aren't search engines great!?!

Java " Advanced Search - CoffeeSnobs " phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

From what your saying and my own experience is that the dreaded 'stuck puck' occurs to me when I have underdosed.
    Ie the level of the puck is lower than the ' optimum' (??)
    Search on CS for - A_M ' 5 cent test' or derivative of as I've written it. A_M was a well known member sometime ago.

Further experiences on this issue -
    I adjust / vary my puck level so that ultimately I 'read' the puck surface post shot seeking to have a slight impression of the shower screen on the surface. Plus all the other characteristics associated with a good shot ie dry (ish) puckpost shot, 30ml shot in 30sec etc etc that can be found here with research.

I generally dose having previously weighed my amount of ground beans so that once i tamp I have achieved a constant ' head height gap' at a constant desired tamp pressure.
    BTW if you havent already - matching a tamper to your basket will be a well rewarded and comparitively minor upgrade.

Yea I tried playing with different variables, now one problem is kinda solved, another one is regarding extraction amount for the double basket (60ml?). I've replied with a question here (so I don't double post): http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...tml#post551285

BTW, I checked a lot of post about the 5 cent test seems to be inactive, when I click on the link, it send me back to CS home page; but I found this one which seems appropriate: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...-unknowns.html

Found it was due to grinding too fine to compensate for underdosing on my machine. Saturated the puck and made it all muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenchen View Post
    Yea I tried playing with different variables, now one problem is kinda solved, another one is regarding extraction amount for the double basket (60ml?). I've replied with a question here (so I don't double post): http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...tml#post551285

BTW, I checked a lot of post about the 5 cent test seems to be inactive, when I click on the link, it send me back to CS home page; but I found this one which seems appropriate: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...-unknowns.html
    G'day Brenchen

As a guy who owns too many machines (including a 6910 & a 7000), even using the standard SB baskets the 5 cent test is quite an overdose.

If you get a set of scales and match the dose to your basket spec and then adjust the grind texture until the shot timing is between 20 to 30 seconds (NOT counting preinfusion) it will get you close enough. After that, tinker to your hearts content. Oh, if you are using VST baskets, the higher flow rate means the SB gauge will read at least 1 o'clock low - aim for the top of the OK zone as a minimum.

If the basket stays in the grouphead, you probably need a new spring in the p/f holder. Look up almost any site sponsor and they are very cheap... Last one I bought (years ago) was about $5.

TampIt