Thread: EM6910 basics?

EM6910 basics?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I'm about to get my first proper machine, a used EM6910. It's an older one, purchased in 2007 apparently. Have previously only used mypressi twist and aeropress at home. It's coming with an EM480 but I already own a Rocky, so the sunbeam grinder will live at work.

So I'm after some basic tips on getting the best out of the machine. Could someone point to useful sources here or elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post
    So I'm about to get my first proper machine, a used EM6910. It's an older one, purchased in 2007 apparently. Have previously only used mypressi twist and aeropress at home. It's coming with an EM480 but I already own a Rocky, so the sunbeam grinder will live at work.

So I'm after some basic tips on getting the best out of the machine. Could someone point to useful sources here or elsewhere?
    G'day redich

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...w-machine.html probably has more than you will ever want to know about a 6910. I think JM encountered every hassle a 6910 can ever come up with. Also has a lot of info as to how to use it.

FYI, you should have the older type (round button in the drip tray). Mine still pulls brilliant shots. Steaming milk is a bit of an art. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...-air-milk.html has some info about that (I posted my usual "older 6910 method" there).

PM me if you do not have the SB DVD, yours for the cost of postage.

TampIt

So, I've had my first crack with it. I might post some questions here as well as consulting previous threads.
    So the poors were fast, with little crema. The pressure guage only just got up into the yellow (about 10-11am). There's also water leaking around the group head.

i think the first thing I should do is replace the group head seal, which I suspect has never been done. Is that straight-forward to do myself? There's some on eBay for $20, is that about right?

I'm using a Rocky grinder at it's finest setting.

So, I've had my first crack with it. I might post some questions here as well as consulting previous threads.
    So the poors were fast, with little crema. The pressure guage only just got up into the yellow (about 10-11am). There's also water leaking around the group head.

i think the first thing I should do is replace the group head seal, which I suspect has never been done. Is that straight-forward to do myself? There's some on eBay for $20, is that about right?

I'm using a Rocky grinder at it's finest setting.
    G'day again redich

Contrary to numerous CS posts, the seal rarely needs replacing (unless it is actually torn).

Firstly, using a spacer under the seal (i.e. physically above the seal if it is in the grouphead) can pack the seal out to the correct clearance. I have always used cardboard (and not just in 6910s), however a number of CSrs use an icecream lid. Just use the seal as a template and cut away... Just set it so the group handle fitsd in easily but is really hard to turn all the way to the right (looking down at it).

Secondly, if it is badly maintained, the collar my have channels - you need to replace the collar. Some early 6910s have a soft collar... I have seen some shockers. Obviously keeping it clean was too much trouble...

The seal is easy to change: a no2 phillips and undo the screw.

TampIt

The seal was only $20 so I figured I might as well replace it. I noticed that replacement collars are not too expensive either. But I'm not sure what I'm looking for to assess the current collar?

I properly zeroed my Rocky last night but I'm still not getting above 10 o'clock on the pressure gauge. The grinder needs new burrs, which is the project for the weekend. I will also have the new seal and descaling liquid by then so will do those as well.

I also want to get the spout off the portafilter so I can remove the black disk (Grahame?). I tried with a srew driver through the spouts last night but it is locked TIGHT. I read that trying boiling water might help?

Okay, I got the black disk out. Prised it with a screw driver, lord knows how anyone gets the spout off the portafilter!!
    Is the consensus to leave the disk out?

Strange, my newish machine didn't have any disk.

Plastic bottom is for use with pressurised baskets. Don't use them and get rid of the plastic

Okay, I got the black disk out. Prised it with a screw driver, lord knows how anyone gets the spout off the portafilter!!
    Is the consensus to leave the disk out?
    Hi redrich

The easiest way to remove the spout - find the nearest bus seat (or anything else with wooden slats) and just lever it off. If you had done that first, a pair of needle nose pliers removes the plastic easily...

TampIt

So new seal and still leaking. Next I'll try making a gasket to put behind the seal. I tried that yesterday but it came out not quite the right size. Can you buy them anywhere?

I've now made a gasket, It brought the group handle back from about 4 to 5 o'clock. Still definitely past 6. Another gasket?

I'm getting decent shots now. Flavour-wise they're very good. But still pouring a little fast and only a few about 5mm crema in a latte glass. I've never got the pressure gauge above the middle of the yellow (12 o'clock). So I think work to do on grind/dose/tamp.