Thread: Looking to buy the Breville BES870. But only a 1 year warranty available.

Unhappy Looking to buy the Breville BES870. But only a 1 year warranty available.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Over the last 25 years I've always loaded up the warranty on espresso machines as much as possible - and been glad I did, they nearly always have problems.

So I'd pay for the retailers extended warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty and usually get 5 years warranty in total.

Now, I'm looking to buy the Breville BES870, but it only has a 1 year warranty available. What's worse, retailers no longer offer the extended warranty. I believe by Australian law the manufacturer must actually look after it for 2 years, is that right?

So why do they (Bing Lee, Good Guys, JB HiFi ) no longer offer extended warranties? Does anyone know of a retailer offering an extended warranty on the BES870?

Cheers,
    David

Go and Google "Statutory Warranty".

As product like the 870 would reasonably be expected to have a life considerably longer than 1yr, you'll likely be covered under statutory warranty for longer (by either the retailer, importers or manufacturer). How long for I don't know (not sure it is that prescriptive).

Thanks Mr Jack. I was thinking "Statutory Warranty" is only about 2 years, but then who knows, as you say it's not prescriptive. Anyway I don't think that's long enough, these are highly engineered, complicated machines and they usually do go wrong in my experience.

I just found Billy Guyatts in QLD has a 4 year extended warranty for $126 which brings it up to 5 years, see here: Breville the Barista Express

Might try them (after I get approval from the CFO that is!)

Quote Originally Posted by davidbee View Post
    Over the last 25 years I've always loaded up the warranty on espresso machines as much as possible - and been glad I did, they nearly always have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbee View Post
    these are highly engineered, complicated machines and they usually do go wrong in my experience.
    For this reason, I would look at something more traditional, even if it takes more technique to get the best out of it. The italian machines in this sector which are popular on this forum (Lelit, Sylvia, older Gaggia etc) are pretty simple devices for good reason.

Harvey Norman offers extended warranty on the Breville BES870.

There is a couple of italian combo machines on gumtree in WA