Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brianleon

Thread: silvia wont steam or give hot water

silvia wont steam or give hot water

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello
    Yesterday I changed the group head seal on my rancilio silvia, it was badly in need of a change and I lay the machine down to remove the old seal. The next shot I produced was ok ,no leaks but when I try to steam I get no pressure(or little pressure)same with hot water, I can hear the pump ok but the water only pours out weakly.
    I cant think what the issue is,coincedence (meaning I have missed something) or is the seal to blame, pump ok boiler ok I am puzzled.
    cheers for any help. Just did a decent shot,hot water from kettle and im ok for coffee but my machine is crook any help appreciated.
    brian

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Any chance you've dislodged a bit of scale which has settled in an unfortunate location when you returned the machine to the upright position (or perhaps when you had it on its side)?

Hope so Barry ,everything seems operational. Will investigate on weekend in fact when I steam it up light goes on boiler heats up light goes off---no steam out of wand but if I pour a empty shot steam comes out of group head. very strange.

Hello Brian,
    As Barry was hinting at,descaling would be most worthwhile at this point,next question is how recently have you successfully used a blind basket or similar to back flush your Rancilio?
    The fact you have successfully produced a shot of coffee suggests the above two tasks may get both your Silvia's steam pressure and water flowing again.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Good idea gonna back flush right now.I am seriously at a loss to understand how changing a group head seal can then cause new issues,although the old seal had gone hard ( to long between service I know). Its 10 years old and I use it every day had a few services ,a few seals changed and its never let me down . What a great product may have to buy another.
    mulquemi likes this.