• 1 Post By dlight
  • 1 Post By gonzo89
  • 5 Post By Bazzo
  • 2 Post By metho

Thread: Hard time deciding....

Hard time deciding....

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

Long time lurker and need some advice. Looking at getting my first machine and grinder, but stuck with what to choose for my usage/budget. ( $1500 - $2000 )

First up is usage, it would get used two-three times a day by me as my wife does not drink coffee. Mostly just long black and shots. When others do come around it may need to produce one-two milk drinks.
    At this stage im looking at the following machines and i'll list the grinders after that.

- Lelit PL41 LEM or TEMD if I wanted PID on it.
    - Rancilio Silvia
    - VBM Piccolo ( that would be the far end of the budget )
    - Isomac Zaffiro ( that would be the far end of the budget )

Grinders:

- Mazzer Mini
    - Macap M4
    - Compak K3 WBC

Or any other grinders within that range as I know the grinder is just as important.

Any help or experiences with any of these would be a great help. Being in Perth there are limited places to go and try the gear, so will be going in to purchase a bit blind. ( unless anyone knows some places )

Thankyou.

Classic + k3 works for me.

There's a fantastic Bezzera on sale in the second hand section in Perth! A fantastic machine which produces a great brew. They are built really well so don't let the second hand tag put you off. I have a near identical one.
    Dimal and gonzo89 like this.

It seems like you're set on a grinder with a doser, going by the choices above. I personally prefer the doserless versions, where there is a lot less coffee wastage. Maybe consider the Compak K3 push/touch or Macap M2M - they are great grinders, and would probably free up a few more dollars for your coffee machine.
    gonzo89 likes this.

I'd avoid the Sylvia, very difficult to have any sort of temperature consistency. The secret to great coffee is having very consistent equipment, so the variables are you and the grind. I've gone from a Sylvia to a Breville BES920 and the difference in the coffee is quite remarkable, consistently good shots..

I'm with DaveD, far prefer a doserless grinder for home use.
    gonzo89 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mwcalder05 View Post
    There's a fantastic Bezzera on sale in the second hand section in Perth! A fantastic machine which produces a great brew. They are built really well so don't let the second hand tag put you off. I have a near identical one.
    I'm with you on this one MW, well priced and an absolute beauty of a machine (i own one). Plus it's in Perth so you could go take a look if you're curious.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks for the input all, pretty much didnt go with anything on that list in the end
    Went for the Lelit PL60T V2 and the Lelit 43mmi grinder from jet black espresso, should be good when it arrives.

Cant wait!

Best of luck with your decision. The Lelit machines are good machines. Just have patience when starting and get better with your skills. No one is ever good with thier first go.

And always get good fresh beans I cannot stress this enough!
    gonzo89 and kopigeek like this.