Thread: Leaking from Sunbeam 6910

Leaking from Sunbeam 6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

I was lucky enough to pickup a 6910 for not a lot of coin, gave it a clean up etc and looks the goods. First thing I noticed though was the group handle was not tight when insert and straight out in front of the machine (6 o'clock)? Anyway tried a pour sitting the group handle at the location, yep coffee coming out of the back of the group head , towards the back around 11 o'clock. Tried another pour with the handle at about 430, poured quite good. Question is should the group handle be at 6 o'clock or further around to the right when pouring? Interestingly the words on the group head (secure firmly >) shows the arrow further to the right.

So are my seals stuff? Group head stuffed? Or is this normal?

Also when pouring, the pressure gauge goes up and down, is this normal? It fluctuated in the acceptable range which I guess I have the right tamp etc

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

takiniteasy,
    Welcome,I've just finished reassembling an identical machine to yours,I reckon these are great machines however,the metal the group head mount is made of,is quick wearing and soft,resulting in gradual sloppy/loose fitting handle which are then usually forced by their unsuspecting users to the point of altogether failure of the mounting bolts.
    The remedial action here would be a new group head mount...not sure exactly what they are called,to buy new are unreasonably expensive.
    I've replaced a couple and are a bit fiddly although not too difficult (after you have done your first one),I get to the point of being able to replace with only having uncoupling four copper pipes...I'm quite pleased about that.
    Once having done the changeover,I've found using bee's wax on the brass connectors makes for a more secure and easier refitting.
    Your machine may only need a new gasket or spacer to return it to a better seal however,inevitable the replacement will be eventually needed.
    The pressure gauge may be bouncing all over the place due to the variation in delivered pressure,because of the leakage of the group handle,the spacer or gasket replacement should reduce or hopefully eliminate that.
    I have been able to pick up not working em6910 for next to nothing,these have provided my with ample spare parts to repair all the machines I've repaired so far,I do purchase replacement seal/gaskets though,usually online.
    If I had your machine,I would lift the top cover and check the bolts holding the group head mount for soundness then confirm whether the group head is worn or just needing seal/spacer,hopefully you could get it right with minimum fuss!
    cheers,
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by takiniteasy View Post
    Question is should the group handle be at 6 o'clock or further around to the right when pouring? Interestingly the words on the group head (secure firmly >) shows the arrow further to the right.

So are my seals stuff? Group head stuffed? Or is this normal?
    The group head does wear and you can get paper spacers to fit under the group gasket to bring the handle back to the center.

I've seen one where not only had the metal worn but it had also distorted (inwards) so the PF became impossible to insert and the owner had to use a dremel to grind off this to recreate clearance - he's actually had to do this twice.

Quote Originally Posted by takiniteasy View Post
    Also when pouring, the pressure gauge goes up and down, is this normal? It fluctuated in the acceptable range which I guess I have the right tamp etc
    See this - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...-bouncing.html

It confuses me how they plumbed the internals so this happens as no other machine I have ever used could be made to behave so weirdly