Thread: help needed please! Rancilio Silvia not performing!

help needed please! Rancilio Silvia not performing!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there all,
    I would love some quick advice/help if anyone can kindly....
    I have an early model Silvia which is 10 years old. Due to different circumstances it has sat idle for 4 of those years, in 1 and 2 year stretches. I have stored it correctly during those times, filling it up with de-mineralised water and then emptying it. It has always served me well and performed well right up until last week.
    My Rocky was always set to around 5 and I would give it a decent tamp. All of a sudden the coffee stopped flowing out. I then had to change the grind setting to 10 (looked way to coarse) and just sit the tamper on the grounds using only the weight of it just to get a normal flow. If I did that normally the coffee would run out way too fast. It looks ok and tastes not too bad but I know its just not right....
    anyone have ideas??
    thanks in advance,
    Dom

Dear Domclem,
    I'm sorry your having problems with your Silvia,have you preformed any maintenance or adjustment recently that may have altered settings?
    You could do a quick pressure test (with blind filter),try back flushing....do you get the "sneeze" of exhausted pressure into your drip tray?
    Have you checked behind the group head "shower screen",perhaps there's a buildup of coffee/oils/residue restricting flow.
    Is the shower screen itself clear.....not blocked?
    Is the water pump sounding "normal " or sounding different,possible blockage from dried residue?
    Is the flow of water through the group head "normal"?
    See how you go with these suggestions,get back to us if problems.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

hey Mick, thanks for the reply....I'm planning on doing these things when I get some time...Is there any way of testing the flow of water? Is it done by volume?

domclem,
    Rather then check your water flow ,I'd do a three way valve clean/check to just confirm it's correct operation,seems to me your machine may have some residue partially blocking things,back there.
    Just do a search for three way valves,(Silvia) you will find lots of "how to".
    See how you go there.
    Cheers,
    Mick.