Thread: Mods for EM6910

Mods for EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all - just thought id give a tip for all EM6900/6910 owners. We all know how hopeless the clip on plastic tabs on the wands so you dont burn your hands are.... too small, spin around too much, dont even wrap around the whole wand so you cant help but burn your hands!
    -------------
    Ive fixed the problem with simple cheap mod, which looks the biz and works a treat!
    -------------
    Remove the 2 factory tabs with some pliers and a screwdriver for levering them off.
    Cut 2 lengths of braided black automotive heater hose (internal is about 12mm), about 50mm long.
    remove the nozzles just for now.
    lube the tubes with water and force them up over the first bend, but not all the way -leave say 10mm still on the main down shaft of the wand.
    replace nozzles.
    steam out steam wand and eject water from water wand for about 1 min.
    Leave too cool.
    the rubber will now grab with some memory.
    YOU NOW HAVE A PROFESIONAL FEEL AND LOOK ON YOUR ALREADY SEXY SB WANDS!

MORE MODS TO COME I WILL KEEP THE THREAD GOING

Re: Mods for EM6910

REMOVE THE SILLY RED WATER FLOAT THING in the drip tray.... btw the drip tray goes sweet in the 2nd draw of dishwasher - no defects yet from this.

a photo of the above 2 mods is attached

My next Mod worked a treat also. This was to hook the machine up to the mains water. This will be completed in 3 stages.
    1)Hook mains water up via a tap in the top of the unit - all stainless steel for good looks - also ceramic valve taps for no leaks! - remember this is mains!
    2)Install a 12v circuit with inline 12v solenoid valve with a switch
    3)install a slimline industrial capactive switch on the OUTSIDE of the water tank, but on the inside of the metal rear door, for low level water detection, and a timing relay for refill delay.

First stage is complete and working a charm - i see the water low and i turn the tap for a second or 2 and im full! BTW the mains line goes via a 2 stage filter system, and then of course through the gauze mesh filter @ top of tank.

And another view

NICE

I like the tap thing...no more running to get water to fill her up.

I like that tap mate...but you can have the heater hose...I have never had a problem with the plastic tabs personally, but each to their own.

I reckon with such a big water chamber plumbing in, as a fill point is not somthing I would do, but again if it floats your boat...

Cheers

it floats my boat :-)

Last post on mods for a while guys. Removed the plastic thingy in the PF (not really a crema enhancer). Please feel free to add mods guys to this thread! The 6910 isnt the easiest machine to mod!

Yeah the plastic insert is used to protect the espresso from hitting cold stainless steel when extracting (this is of course assuming the consumer knows nothing about the benefits of preheating protafilters, letting the machine get up to temp etc.)

yeah thats it. I over pre-heat my machine with PF in, and run through about 1/2 shot without coffee yet to get it right. BTW the SB PF is chrome plated brass - same as the pro units. i know because my chromes wearing off already revealing some sexy gold tones! :-)

I tend to do the same - Ive been told that if the PF is cold, then the espresso tends to come out sour. So I run a couple of shots of hot water through the PF to get it up to temp before I tamp my coffee grind onto the filter basket.

Lawrance

Quote Originally Posted by gaggiaboy link=1179573165/0#10 date=1179658746
    yeah thats it. I over pre-heat my machine with PF in, and run through about 1/2 shot without coffee yet to get it right. BTW the SB PF is chrome plated brass - same as the pro units. i know because my chromes wearing off already revealing some sexy gold tones! :-)
    Yeah...I chopped up a portafilter and definitely brass.

mmm brass

Sounds like the Sunbeam EM6910 porta filter is a reasonably good quality unit then, if brass is employed in its construction. No wonder it feels nice and heavy. :-)

I have a few of these PFs and while they are heavy and solid, the tolerances arent so good...

EG, 2 PFs from same EM6910 model, have different tightness ... one has to be pulled further right than another.... well made?? Yes and No...

I like the plumbed water filler. Although I would use a pressure reducer where I tap of the mains and therefore use a much smaller visible pipe to the machine. Many office water purifers/chillers use a plastic 4mm hose with pressure reduction, as rate of flow is relativly unimportant in these applications. I have found the large tank make it less of a prioity than other machines though.

I flush the PF with a shot of hot water if i need a coffee NOW, but have founds that it preheats itself reaonably quickly if left on the group when I have more time.

Whats the problem with the red float. Many people here have said it the first thing they remove (either that or the plastic thing in the PF). I find the float a great way to stop overflows onto the bench.

yep gotta a pressure reducer before my filters. Dont like using plasticy crap - gotta be stainless braid all the way for me! (once the hose gets under the bench its plastic hoses into the filters).
    The float well, i just dont think it looks good, it tended to bob around, and it gets a bit dirty. I just find it plain uncessasry- i chuck my hole tray in the dishwasher say once a week anyway so never overfill.
    But thats the beauty of it all ! customisation! you like it one way, i another!
    Anyone else got mods?

in my machine the red nipple works well and is a reminder when I am not as regimented as I should be about cleaning the tray....

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1179573165/15#18 date=1179871671
    in my machine the red nipple works well and is a reminder when I am not as regimented as I should be about cleaning the tray....
    Im the same...

Quote Originally Posted by marcstolk link=1179573165/15#15 date=1179817117
    I have a few of these PFs and while they are heavy and solid, the tolerances arent so good...

EG, 2 PFs from same EM6910 model, have different tightness ... one has to be pulled further right than another.... *well made?? *Yes and No...
    I have found that the PF from the EM6900 and the EM6910 to be quite different, although visually, they look the same.

I found that the thread where the pour spouts screws onto are different between the two PFs and the EM6900s PF tends to bind a bit when Im trying to get it in and out of the group head.

Maybe its just that the build tolerances are pretty poor.

:(

I just removed the plastic disc from the porta filter. I was avoiding this job as it sounded hard to do. However, I found a way to do it without even using a tool.

After pulling few shots I left the handle in for about 20mins. When the handle was nice and hot I wrapped the spouts in a tea towel to get a good grip and so I wouldnt burn my fingers. To my surprise, the spouts came off easily. Then I could see the two tabs that held the plastic disc in position. I simply squeezed the tabs between my fore finger and thumb and it just fell out. I screwed the spouts back on and it was "Job done" in under 30 seconds.

Maybe having the handle hot made the job easier?

Yep it maybe has. The tabs are a lot harder to pop out with your fingers when cold.

i did it cold - PF upside down on bench and smashed it out with a allen key and a hammer!

i just unscrewed the bottom and popped it off! funny i didnt even realise it was there before reading this, i though it was teflon coated or something hmm. much better without it

Nice work Dave :)

Wonder whether heatshrink tubing would work on the wands... single layer might not provide enough insulation I guess.

i dont think thick enough yeah

I might give it a try anyway, maybe a layer of heatshrink over the top of some soft rubber tubing would work. Ive found those plastic tabs pretty useless too!!

Quote Originally Posted by yorgous link=1179573165/15#21 date=1180949170
    I just removed the plastic disc from the porta filter. I was avoiding this job as it sounded hard to do. However, I found a way to do it without even using a tool.

After pulling few shots I left the handle in for about 20mins. When the handle was nice and hot I wrapped the spouts in a tea towel to get a good grip and so I wouldnt burn my fingers. To my surprise, the spouts came off easily. Then I could see the two tabs that held the plastic disc in position. I simply squeezed the tabs between my fore finger and thumb and it just fell out. I screwed the spouts back on and it was "Job done" in under 30 seconds.

Maybe having the handle hot made the job easier?
    Id guess that having the PF hot might soften the loctite, but I wouldve thought the expansion of the metal would make the thread bind tighter? I removed the insulator the same way, using a piece of dowel for leverage on the spout as the manual suggests, but couldnt get the spout fully threaded back on while the PF was still hot.

Edit: theres a whole thread on just this topic here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?nu...8543;start=all. The black plastic thing is called a Graham. For reasons unknown.

On variance between PFs - I bought David Ms machine which came with a naked PF - Ive found that there is a fair bit of variation between the normal and naked PFs. The normal PF locks in just past perpendicular whereas the naked PF locks in just before. Doesnt cause any problems though - both baskets fit both PFs perfectly and both PFs lock in with no leaks, so I dont think its indicative of poor manufacturing standards. The different PFs probably just came off different production lines :) </off topic>

As m@ mentioned the black plastic thing is known as "graeme". Im pretty sure it was named that due to the grime that builds up underneath them. ;)

Mine came out quite easily cold. After removing the spout i used the handle of a wooden spoon and pop out it came. Not a mark in sight.

we should make a official day of the year nationally "anti-graeme day", a unitied front to remove all graemes from our porta filters ilves -there freedom depends on it

Manufacturers should be forced to put health warnings on the machines box. This photo should be enough to deter anyone from using a PF with Graham (or Harry in this case) in place... :o

thats one dirty harry - what machine?

That is the result of a four year one-(bad)-coffee-a-day habit on my wifes trusty old Sunbeam EM3500 Bar Espresso.

Whats really disturbing is that the coffee shouldnt even make it under the Harry - its supposed to swish around in a little chamber in the top of the plastic insert, then out the two plastic spouts (generating a rich crema in the process ;)).

I tried the portafilter Harry-free but the single hole in the pressurised basket aligns perfectly with the hole in the PF for the screw that holds the Harry in place. The steam jet from the pressurised basket blew whatever did make it into the cup straight back out and all over the place!

Needless to say, the only option available to me was to upgrade to the 6910! ;)

nice thread matt

Only a little off-topic ;)

Wonder whether I could mod the group on my EM3500 to take the 6910 p/f ;)

have u any use however for the 3500 now you have 6910?

At this point Im planning on getting my hands on some unpressurised Krupps baskets and taking her to work :) Coffee mightnt be fantastic (Ill have to pre-grind the beans at home in the morning) - but cant be worse than the stuff from the canteen here!

What about insulated stainless steel hose for the wands?

flexible suff? well that is actually rubber internals with a stainless braid around it, meaning that the steam is actually dropping in heat as it runs through the wand, and turning back to water - which we dont want! i had this on my gaggia @ one point - wasnt the best. then i had actual stainless pipe as a wand which wasnt 2 bad m but nothing runs the heat and steam like chrome plated brass!

m8 i c what u mean.. mmm... im thinking of doing something with my worrk also - we run instant and i bring my plunger sometimes...but.... yeaha machine would be nice

since i started this thread with mods on my 6910, thought id add my latest addition - naked PF.