Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryjoda
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: Upgrade Path from a V2 Silvia

Upgrade Path from a V2 Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I've got a V2 Silvia where the silver is peeling off the part where the portafilter locks in (not sure what the correct name for the part is). Its looking a bit worse for wear and I'm thinking of upgrading in this price range (up to 1500/1600).

My requirements are this:
    - I'd not like to buy a second hand machine. So I'd prefer not to be directed to the for sale sub forum
    - I make 2 milk coffee's a day during the week and 2-4 each weekend day
    - I'm not too fussed about having a single boiler machine
    - I'm not too fussed about the time it takes to heat up or the time it takes to switch between pulling shots and steaming milk
    - I'd like something that is around the same size.

Any recommendations? Based on price alone I'm considering a Domobar Piccolo.

Quote Originally Posted by nickm View Post
    Hi All,

I've got a V2 Silvia where the silver is peeling off the part where the portafilter locks in (not sure what the correct name for the part is). ...
    its called the group shroud , and a new one can be bought for $45.
    ..or just remove it , and polish the brass group for an even better appearance !
    upgraditis is a normal affliction, you don't need to make excuses to look for a new machine.!
    ....and it's not expensive compared to upgrading to a new wife / GF/ partner !

thanks, any idea where i can buy a replacement?

dmo
    Quote Originally Posted by nickm View Post
    thanks, any idea where i can buy a replacement?
    Rancilio Silvia Group Head Cover

Regarding the mention of upgraditis in blend52's post above, I've found it can be cured, at least temporarily, by removing and replacing worn components and making everything look shiny and new again. You could replace the shroud, also take the top off the Silvia after powering down after pulling a shot, being sure not to burn yourself on the boiler, and check for leaks. Fix any leaks and the resulting damage they may have caused as a start.

Thanks, but i've got my heart on replacing the shroud (ordered the piece and will work on it on the weekend) selling the V2 Rancilio (not sure how much i'd get) and updating my setup.

I've got the Silvia with an Ibertal Challenge.

Normally I dont suffer from upgrade-itis but I'm splashing out a heap of cash on a new kitchen and other updates to the home so i figure an extra 2k wont hurt as much now (machine & grinder) in the perspective of the bigger reno.

Thoughts on how I can spend 1500 on a machine and around 600 on a decent grinder?

Stretch your budget a few hundred and you could get a Domobar Junior paired with a K3. That maybe a little to much coin but I think it is worth it and makes a worth while jump from a Silvia.

I currently have a Silvia V3 going strong for over 5 years. I don't think I could spend 1500 on a single boiler when I could have brand new HX for a little more. It feels more of sideways jump then step forward to a degree IMO. I will be upgrading in a month or two from a Silvia K3 combo and I am leaning towards the Domobar Junior. A few more $ but a serious upgrade from a Silvia compared to the Piccolo, no disrespecting the Piccolo.
    block likes this.

I agree with Ryjoda's comments above. I'm in the same position with my Silvia v2. I think I would really look forward to the instant steam on an hx machine.

How about a package like this?
    Special offer: Vibiemme Domobar Junior & Compak K3 Push/Macap M2M | Talk Coffee

Have had a Domobar 'Junior' for several years and has been a great machine!!

thanks guys will see if i can extend the budget a bit more. Space is a bit of an issue so I'll have to work out the dimensions

TC
    Our demo might also be worth considering.
    grebe likes this.

Thanks I will have a think about whether I can stretch as I'm looking at a new grinder as well