Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon

Thread: Question:How to replace the Rancilio Silvia Group Cowling

Question:How to replace the Rancilio Silvia Group Cowling

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I have a V2 Rancilio Silvia and my cowling (or rancilio group head cover) has flaked.
    Rancilio Silvia Group Head Cover
    Coffee-A-Roma - Rancilio Group Surround

I'm trying to get it off but cant for the life of me work out how i unscrew it.

I was going to post asking how on earth do i do this, but i found some good resources that hopefully will make my life and all future rancilio owners lives easier

Miss Rancilio Silvia cover removal
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsKBRZxwBMs
    https://caferesearch.co.uk/rancilio-...up-head-cover/

An alternative method of dealing with a degraded Silvia plastic group head cover

Mine started flaking a month or two after I got it. I just put up with it for a year or so, occasionally cutting a finger on the sharp flaking chrome. Finally it dropped off, cleanly, leaving almost nothing visible even with some hard staring from all sorts of angles.

I took a hard look at what was left: A nice brass group head, although a little 'unfinished' looking, the brass was all dark and dull looking.

So I took out a drill and a wire brush attachment and polished it up for about ten minutes. Not enough to make it shiny and polished, it's too textured, but enough to make it look like it's supposed to be that way. Finished off with a rub with some Brasso (brass cleaning stuff available in South Africa and Australia and probably other places). Massive improvement over the chintzy plastic cover which does about nothing for you, and cost nothing.

I have no advice on how to get it to break off cleanly, I was just lucky. But you can use one of the links in the top post to remove it if you can't get it to break.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The easy way to fix it is to rely on your ACL rights. See:
    https://www.accc.gov.au/business/tre...ts-obligations
    Just make a claim on your retailer for a new one, as often as is necessary. The importer will soon develop an understanding not to import defective components in the first place and insist on better quality from the manufacturer. Problem solved for everyone.

Warren a V2 could be 12 years old! While I know there isn't a time limit except something like reasonable life, 12 years is probably over that. There has been at least 3 newer versions since then. Probably being a bit harsh on the importer.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Warren a V2 could be 12 years old! While I know there isn't a time limit except something like reasonable life, 12 years is probably over that. There has been at least 3 newer versions since then. Probably being a bit harsh on the importer.
    Yes, internet search shows the ACL commenced on 1 January 2011. So 7 year old machines might qualify. Importers are in a better position than consumers to access the risks in importing equipment and can probably insure against some risks, however insurance is the art of collecting the premium and ducking the claims. Cheers.

Might apply to the V3 machines then. Didn't realise the ACL was only 7 years old.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
    The easy way to fix it is to rely on your ACL rights. See:
    https://www.accc.gov.au/business/tre...ts-obligations
    Just make a claim on your retailer for a new one, as often as is necessary. The importer will soon develop an understanding not to import defective components in the first place and insist on better quality from the manufacturer. Problem solved for everyone.
    And you'll discover that the goods will cost significantly more if importers need to cover a warranty on all components for that period of time (i.e. 7+years). Which is fair enough, but you have to take the rough with the smooth. BTW, the OP was made 3 years ago.
    Casa Espresso and 338 like this.