Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By Xanthine
  • 1 Post By Xanthine

Thread: Em6910 replacement PCB?

daz

Em6910 replacement PCB?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does anyone know where I can get an replacement PCB for the em6910?
    My em6910 has been playing up and has been diagnosed as the PCB. Thanks.

Do you have experience working with 240V and soldering?
    If so, send me a private message and I can organise one for you.
    daz likes this.

daz
    it may pay to post a detailed description on the fault for comment by other members before swapping the board - depends on how confident you are about the original diagnosis.
    Trev
    daz likes this.

daz
    Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    I've had plenty of experience soldering and working with 240v. I build valve amplifiers as a hobby. Thanks, I'll send you a PM.

daz
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthine View Post
    daz
    it may pay to post a detailed description on the fault for comment by other members before swapping the board - depends on how confident you are about the original diagnosis.
    Trev
    Thanks Trev.

Ok, the machine accidentally got dropped from a short height (approx 15cm) when we moved house. Since then, there has been some inconsistent issues. Sometimes the steam wand doesn't work, or the water pump randomly pumps out water, or the indicator light remains flashing green. There is also a loud hum when you turn the machine on at the powerpoint.

I took it to a local authorised service agent who diagnosed that the power board needed to be replaced (and possibly some other parts) and it would cost at least $300 to fix it. For that price, I can pick up another em6910 second hand. I'm seeing whether it's economically viable to repair it myself, or throw it out.

If you decide not to repair it rather than throwing it out toss it in the Pay It Forward section.

Java "Recycle rocks!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Hi daz
    Those symptoms you describe certainly sound like it could be a pcb fault.
    Since you seem confident working with mains appliances I wonder if you have opened the machine up to make a few checks.
    You may have cracked the board or broken a solder joint to one of the heavier components like the power supply transformer.
    A close inspection of the board with a magnifier may reveal something.
    It would also pay to check that all of the plugs are seated securely in their sockets.
    You can download the service manual available in this section and it has diagrams of the board layouts and circuit diagrams but just be aware that there have been some changes with later versions. On some I know of the triacs driving the thermoblocks have been replaced with relays mounted on a separate 'sub' board. This sub board has the only 3 solder connections for the neutral, steam and hot water thermoblocks.

The other place to check would be the control and indicator board at the front.
    This has plug in connections which may have loosened but no weighty components so is unlikely to be damaged by the fall unless impacted when dropped.

If you do buy a secondhand replacement machine just be aware that these are often poorly maintained and may need a good cleanup with proper backflushing and decalc, especially the steam thermoblock.

Good luck with it!
    Trev
    daz likes this.

daz
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I should have come here in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Hey Luke, did you get my PM message? I would like to buy a replacement PCB. Thanks!