Post By noidle22
EM6910 water level float
The failure of the low water indicator is a common occurrence with the EM6910.
Out of curiosity, I popped a non-working float open to see why such a simple device like a magnet in a sealed box should be so prone to failure.
Here are some photos of what I found-
As can be seen, what was once a little bar magnet sitting in its holder at the bottom of the float was now a mass of black magnetic particles clinging together in a strange shape because of their magnetism. In amongst this were a couple of larger chunks of magnet which had not yet fully decayed.
All of this re-arrangement had disrupted the magnetic field of the original bar shape, preventing it from closing the contacts in the reed switch which hides under a blob of white silicon on the control board just the other side of the plastic 'wall'.
I'm not sure if the breakdown of the magnet would have been caused by water getting in or just a poor quality magnet to start with.
Seems to be a common problem. I found a small magnet at home and taped it to the inside of the machine where the float runs and no more red light!
Yes, I had a magnet out of a computer hard drive stuck inside the back door for a while but eventually scored another float out of an old machine - it's much nicer to have the low water indicator working as it should.
Replacements are readily available online although I do object to paying as much again for postage!
Being a repairaholic I have thought that it wouldn't be too hard to put another suitable magnet back in the case and glue it back together. Some of the little rare earth magnets available online for as little as $1.50 (posted!!!) would work well.
The main thing stopping me has been finding a suitable adhesive to reseal the case. It would have to be waterproof, able to bond thermoplastic and not contain toxins which would leach out into the water.
Some online research revealed that hot melt glue, my first choice, is not recommended for continuous immersion in water and could contain nasties.
The other possibility was good old Superglue which is evidently insoluble in water once set and, in a very similar form, used for medical suturing.
I would be interested to hear others thoughts and suggestions on this. ( yeah, I know it's trivial but ... whatever floats your boat!)
I've replaced the magnet in the past but put 2 in there so there was less empty space as I seem to remember having inconsistency with one magnet.
The way I sealed it and the way I repair most damaged plastics is to use a soldering iron to melt the plastic together to form the seal. A crude form of plastic welding I guess.
This also works to repair most plastic breaks eg. broken threaded sections of plastic parts so they can be screwed into again, repairing broken headphones and also, my favourite, repairing broken touch pads for coffee machines. There's no way I can justify spending over. usually, $150 for a bit of plastic with some touch switches on it.
Some new plastic, metal reinforcement and a liberal application of heat and it's like new.
I bought a new one of those floats, from someone in Australia, as well as some other bits.
I forget the name, but it has "appliance" in the heading I think.
Found the place as a result of posting on here, got a group head seal from them too.