Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Iano1980
  • 1 Post By Iano1980
  • 2 Post By TampIt
  • 1 Post By zorroz

Thread: Where to buy new EM6910?

Where to buy new EM6910?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys I'm in the market for a new EM6910 but have noticed they are hard to come by these days. The ones I have seen at Good Guys and Myers are sold with a grinder. Is there a place that sells them on their own brand new? Thanks

zorrow,
    Unless you check out the clearance outlets ,in most cities,you are unlikely to encounter just the em6910 on its own ,for sale.
    May I suggest you go ahead and purchase the set,if you choose not to use the grinder ,place it on Coffee snobs "for sale" ,you might make a profit !
    cheers,
    mick.

That machine is out of date - EM7000 is the newer model.

Why buy new though? There are literally thousands of 6910s going dirt cheap as they have been a popular choice for midrange consumers for nearly 8 years.

I have one and whilst it's had a couple of issues, nothing major and keeps going strong. Spare parts for an EM6910 very easy to find as well.
    rawill and mulquemi like this.

Thanks guys. Yes I have noticed some near new ones on ebay and scumtree under $200. I'm thinking its the best option and with all the info on this forum it shouldn't be too hard to fix. Cheers

Bang for buck, honestly I think it's hard to go past one. Only other model that's a dual boiler which could be compared would be a Breville BES900 - they were still nearly double the price of the Sunbeam brand new.

Get an EM6910 that's in decent nick - no leaks, good steam, no temp fluctuations and good seals etc - the coffee it's capable of making is damn impressive.

No, they are not as durable as an Italian made machine (quite obviously) but considering parts are so cheap and plentiful, I happily accept the trade off.
    mulquemi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iano1980 View Post
    Bang for buck, honestly I think it's hard to go past one. Only other model that's a dual boiler which could be compared would be a Breville BES900 - they were still nearly double the price of the Sunbeam brand new.

Get an EM6910 that's in decent nick - no leaks, good steam, no temp fluctuations and good seals etc - the coffee it's capable of making is damn impressive.

No, they are not as durable as an Italian made machine (quite obviously) but considering parts are so cheap and plentiful, I happily accept the trade off.
    G'day Iano1980

"Bang for buck, honestly I think it's hard to go past one." I couldn't agree more. Considering a secondhand 6910 is about $200, it is truly a bargain for those without wads of cash. Buying new, I would suggest the extra $100 for a 7000 is worth every cent.

My 9 month old "no 1 machine" 7000 is at a temporary home so I am back with my older 6910 (made 8/2008) for a week or so. After the first three days I am convinced the coffee out of my 6910 is just as good as my 7000. I do have to work a little harder to control it (I tinker the preinfusion a little) and it is already getting noise complaints from SWMBO, but otherwise no issues.

FWIW, I reckon the 6910 does better microfoam in my 300ml jug. The 7000 wand angle does not go far enough "out horizontally" for such a small jug. No difference between the two with any of my larger jugs (up to one litre). Mind you, it could just be my "old school" technique...

Apart from user error and / or lack of maintenance, the easiest way to kill a 6910 (or any other espresso machine) in Perth is to use the local corrosive acid, er, I mean tap water. Even a pile of Stradas fed the stuff "neat" died in three months over here.

Maintenance: Knowing your machine and its quirks is critical if you want longevity. Since a rash of "previous vendor induced" problems all fixed by mid 2011, my 6910 has had no probs at all - although it will need a spacer under / over the seal in the next few months of use due to the gap slowly settling in. Note: unless you let coffee get between the group and the seal, both the collar and seal should last for years (just like my mid 80's La Pavoni 2 group - one seal replaced around 10 years ago). The 6910 needs an A to Z clean every 250g of coffee and the user must take extreme care not to slurp milk up into the steam wand (... and the manual is outright complicit in that issue). The 7000 can go for 750g+ and does not tend to drink milk "after the event" at all. That plus its quieter nature gives the 7000 my vote for the easiest machine to live with domestically by a wide margin - it keeps itself pretty clean without much effort. To me that is easily worth the extra cost of the 7000 - especially if there are multiple "Baristi". However the last three days have convinced me to keep the 6910 as a long term spare (why sell it for a pittance, eventually some "good cause" in the family will probably end up with it gratis).

I would also suggest most "Italian made machines" are not as durable as the myth - I have had to replace plenty of parts (o-rings, seals, showerscreens, even the odd pump or mainboard) in most of them over the (too many) years. To be fair, most espresso machine issues are caused by users not working within the design limits and / or not employing a "suitably rigorous"* maintenance regime. Even an Olympia Cremina (Swiss made, probably the best manufacturing quality of manual espresso maker on the planet) needs some TLC on occasion.

TampIt

suitably rigorous*: For instance too many machines rust out if the drip tray is not located properly. For the life of me I cannot see how anyone could fail to put a drip tray in properly, however I have seen dozens of cases where it is obvious that they didn't / couldn't even manage that basic function - and on $10,000+ machines as well as cheapies. Shudder. I reckon nothing is truly idiot proof.
    alexm1 and rawill like this.

Ah yep, one thing that's often been mentioned is that they sound like a Western Star truck. My Miss 3yo calls it "Dad's noisy thing"

Thanks for the great info guys. I picked up a good 2nd hand one and its been great fun. So much info on this site that has really helped me enjoy making and drinking coffee. I actually look foward to switching that beast on in the morning and brewing a good cup
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Yes a great machine,
    as I have commented in other threads, one day, when it dies, has done about 8000 shots so far, I will probably get a 7000, or its successor!