Like Tree18Likes
  • 2 Post By kyeba
  • 1 Post By kyeba
  • 2 Post By artman
  • 4 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By metho
  • 5 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 3 Post By TC

Thread: Advice: BES870, Lelit Combi, or another alternative?

Question Advice: BES870, Lelit Combi, or another alternative?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    First time poster, after some advice about buying a new machine as a present for my Dad.
    Me and my sister both work in coffee and we probably drink 3-5 cups each morning between us 3. Currently we've got a Delonghi Magnifica S but after working regularly on the La Marzocco Linea Classic at work, i'm starting to become antsy for an upgrade.
    Done a bit of researching and as much as i'd like to have a grinder independent from the machine, we just don't have the bench space for it. So unfortunately we'd have to have a grinder built in (as with both the BES870 and the Lelit Combi). Aside from that, just curious on suggestions! There aren't any major criteria apart from the aforementioned, no need for a particularly quick warm-up or anything.
    If you need any further info from me, just let me know! This'd be his major present so wanna make sure I get my money's worth. Currently slightly leaning towards the Lelit.

EDIT: We're a mostly white coffee household

Cheers,
    Luke

The Lelit will out last the Breville far far longer and has better construction, would be my pick
    Dimal and JetBlack_Espresso like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kyeba View Post
    The Lelit will out last the Breville far far longer and has better construction, would be my pick
    Cheers! Any word on the difference in maintainence between the two? I presume the Lelit would need more?

I'd assume both would have equal maintenance in replacing seals and back flushing water/chemical. Plus the breville has a water filter that needs replacing every 2 months. Have a look at this good deal on a Lelit if you haven't already.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...brand-new.html
    Dimal likes this.

Go the lelit, my 860 v silvia no contest (duh) others at home still think the 860 is simpler, not really though you should be able to help him with any troubles

have you seen a Lucy for sale either(silvia combo)

The silvia is a more compact machine I will check but probably about half of the grinder is inside the foot print of the lelit (I have one to fix) someone will know the footprint of a rocky, barattza virtuoso? If they only extend by 5-10cm when place again the side,
    Different tack, has anyone ever wall mounted a full on grinder (rocky) like a old relic that I started on

Goodluck mate in the hunt
    James

uploadfromtaptalk1436462765376.jpguploadfromtaptalk1436462799688.jpg

I would go a Lelit/Silvia over the Breville, they are built to last. Very simple and you can get parts to fix if required. You can also get the Silvia with a build in grinder, similar to the Lelit combi, cant recall what Rancillio call it? My first machine was a Nemox Cafe Del Opera (like a Lelit combi), still going strong and it must be almost 10 years old now.

Cheers

Site Sponsor
    The Rancilio combi is called the Lucy. No longer made,

charlie

I wouldn't go the Lelit personally. They have very wet steam and Latte art doesn't come out very well at all with wet steam. However, for around the $1500 mark you can get a ECM Giotto on ebay or gumtree which would out do all the machines mentioned here..

Maybe its worth saving a few extra pennys?

I've seen people make better coffee on a sunbeam EM6910 than a Lelit / Silvia and they still last several years! You'd want to upgrade before it dies. You'd also save around 95% of your cash.
    When talking about lower end machines (yes this includes my crummy BES920), it's all much of muchness because weather you spend $700 - $900 on a silvia / Lelit or $50 on a sunbeam EM6910 (which I've seen so many people on facebook latte art groups do) at the end of the day they're all bottom end machines. The magic happens when you start heading upwards into the ~$2500+. You can buy a second hand $2500 machine for around $1500 though.

Oh and avoid breville, I got sucked in and I'm counting down the days till tax time so I can finally get rid of it!
    Last edited by neofelis; 10th July 2015 at 06:51 PM.

Something doesn't seem right. Even with my older Nemox that has the lower temp steam thermostat, the microfoam is very good with the right technique.

Cheer
    Dimal and gonzo89 like this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by neofelis View Post
    I've seen people make better coffee on a sunbeam EM6910 than a Lelit / Silvia and they still last several years!
    I wouldn't read too much into that statement. I'd be happy to have a crack on a bog stock Lelit or Silvia for that matter against any Sunbeam...

You can buy a bike, but it's not much use until you can ride it well!

A single boiler machine will need more care than an appliance machine, but should also outlive one many times over...If the budget's not there, but the motivation is, I'd recommend the single boiler as it will be worth something at sale time. Sale time for appliances is too frequently known as hard rubbish collection day.

The Lelit machines can steam milk fine. Some brands and models of the combi have the paranello steam arm which is not that great. Removing the parenello tip can work, but the nipple is quite large.

That being said Lelit combi with a steam tip and 145C thermostate is pretty awesome. Maybe not HX awesome, but pretty damn good.
    gonzo89 likes this.

Site Sponsor
    I wouldn't go the Lelit personally. They have very wet steam and Latte art doesn't come out very well at all with wet steam.
    Not true. As an example of what's possible we just had a beginner put a nice heart on his latte at the end of our barista course this morning using his 42TEMD!!

When talking about lower end machines (yes this includes my crummy BES920), it's all much of muchness because weather you spend $700 - $900 on a silvia / Lelit or $50 on a sunbeam EM6910 (which I've seen so many people on facebook latte art groups do) at the end of the day they're all bottom end machines. The magic happens when you start heading upwards into the ~$2500+.
    No. The magic happens when you have equipment that you know how to use properly. I'm sure we've all seen great coffee made on modest equipment and terrible coffee made on $30K equipment.

charlie
    Barry_Duncan, Dimal, TC and 2 others like this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    No. The magic happens when you have equipment that you know how to use properly. I'm sure we've all seen great coffee made on modest equipment and terrible coffee made on $30K equipment.

charlie
    Too true Charlie.

All too often the tradie blames the tools for lack of a mirror to assess the real issue.
    Dimal, gonzo89 and JWILL like this.