Thread: EM7000 plus EM0700 combo - help needed

EM7000 plus EM0700 combo - help needed

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

I recently purchased the sunbeam EM7000, combined with the EM0700 grinder for an extra $50. I did a quick search, and aside from the thread titled, 'EM7000 first impressions'. I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Double shots are fine, but I am having trouble extracting a good single shot, so I was hoping I could come here for some advice.

The shots always only drip out, they don't pour, and they taste acidic.

-The beans are fresh. (I have tried three different types. Similar results with all).
    -The needle always goes to the middle of the orange section, which is apparently good.

I thought maybe I was tamping too hard, so I have tried a lighter tamp, even one where I put very little muscle in it. I got the same result.
    I always leave about 3-4mm between the coffee and the top of the basket.

I have considered that it could be the grind, but as I mentioned earlier, the double shot is fine.
    I have the grinder set on 10. If anyone is familiar with this grinder, it is towards the fine end of the 30 possible settings, with 30 being the coarsest.

Am I filling the basket too much?
    Based on youtube clips, I should slightly overfill the basket, even it out and tamp it.
    Is this correct?

I am looking for a nice mouse tail pour, like I get with the double shot. What should I be doing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Machine is choking if the shot is only dripping. Go for a coarser grind.

Quote Originally Posted by applor View Post
    Machine is choking if the shot is only dripping. Go for a coarser grind.
    Thanks for the advice. I actually thought I'd give this a go this morning, before I saw your post.
    I bumped the grinder up to 13 and the pour started nice, then it choked, then nice again.
    I then bumped it up to 15 and it was all good. Nice mouse tails all the way through.

Also, I mentioned this in the other thread about the 7000. Does anybody else find it not hot enough? My brown sugar isn't even dissolving. This can't be normal.
    This is with the temperature at the highest it will go.

They are set at the factory to ~92 degrees - standard temperature for espresso...

You can bump it up a few degrees in the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by applor View Post
    They are set at the factory to ~92 degrees - standard temperature for espresso...

You can bump it up a few degrees in the settings.
    Already done. It should be on 96 now. See my second post.
    Regardless, surely 92 degrees is enough to melt sugar?

EDIT: Just read that brown sugar melts at 160degrees. I had no idea. Still, I have never had this issue before when I had the, (God forbid), Nespresso machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cubic25 View Post
    Already done. It should be on 96 now. See my second post.
    Regardless, surely 92 degrees is enough to melt sugar?

EDIT: Just read that brown sugar melts at 160degrees. I had no idea. Still, I have never had this issue before when I had the, (God forbid), Nespresso machine.
    Do not confuse dissolving with melting, the two are not the same. Also just as an FYI sugar does not melt, it decomposes.

Java "Just as an aside" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!