Thread: Breville Barista Express Extraction problems

Breville Barista Express Extraction problems

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me! I've had the above machine since April and haven't had too many problems making a nice coffee until a few weeks ago. The machine was struggling to get out of the pre extraction zone like it didn't have enough pressure I rang Breville they told me just to reset it and it should be fine. Which it was for a day or two. Now i can't seem to make a nice coffee, I have wasted so much coffee trying and I'm over it! I'm using the same beans I always have so I would assume they aren't the issue. And I'm not doing anything differently.
    I find using the automatic dose turned all the way to less provides way too much coffee for the single holder, the grind is on about 13 it takes about 7 seconds to start then only extracts for 18 seconds. I have experimented with the grind from 2-16 and 13 used to be great, the pressure used to sit half way in the zone which i find tastes best. I just can't seem to get consistently nice coffee

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

You should be aiming to get the pressure reading between 12 and 1 o'clock on the pressure gauge.

Don't bother with the single basket, it is too difficult to get consistent results. Use the double basket if you want consistency. You will also need a scale to weigh your coffee.

A dose of 16gm of ground coffee in the double basket with the grinder set between 3 and 5 should put you in range. Aim for a thick syrup flow and stop the shot as it thins out and blondes.

If you set the dial on grinder for a single at about 8gm, just grind twice for 16 gm.

Good luck and report back on your results.

Cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your reply. I've played around with it a bit today and funnily enough I have had more consistent coffee with the single basket using 8gm beans on grind 11, when I tried the double basket and 16g it was under extracted using the same grind. It is still only extracting for about 19 seconds for a single but coffee tastes nice! Now to work on the double!

Thanks again,

Michelle

Rbn
    Fow what it is worth, probably not much!
    I use a single VST basket 6g on my EM6910, naked P/F so I can see what is happening.

No point in wasting the coffee if no one else wants a shot.

Now to your issue, if you were making coffee to your liking and then somehow you couldn't you have to back track to try and figure out what changed.

I guess I think it is doubtful your machine changed, but of course it could have, stranger things have happened.
    So think of all the variables, different beans, different tamping/dosing technique.

I don't know, just making noise to get you analysing your issue.
    The other thing you could try to do is hook up with someone who has a similar machine and have a try there, to attempt to eliminate or confirm a machine issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shell77 View Post
    Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your reply. I've played around with it a bit today and funnily enough I have had more consistent coffee with the single basket using 8gm beans on grind 11, when I tried the double basket and 16g it was under extracted using the same grind. It is still only extracting for about 19 seconds for a single but coffee tastes nice! Now to work on the double!

Thanks again,

Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

If your coffee is under extracted, you need to grind finer. A 19 second pour is too fast again indicating that your grind is too coarse.

Is your pressure gauge hitting the 12 to 1 o'clock region on the dial? If not, again you grind is too coarse.

The aim is for 1:2 extraction in 25-30 seconds. So, for 16gm of ground coffee, the aim is for 32 gm of extracted espresso. Taste your coffee before adding milk or water and see if it is to your liking. Adding milk will mask any shortcomings in your espresso, either under or over extracted.

It is usually easier to dial in your grind moving from too fine to less fine. That is start with a fine grind that chokes your machine and then grind less fine until you get the pour you are after.

Sam

Rbn
    And, to add to the confusion!
    Courtesy of some posts on here I started tinkering with infusion, especially on the low end EM4800, EM5600, just tried 10 seconds.

When you start the pour you get a short preinfusion cycle, when it goes full pressure, I cut it off, waited 10 seconds and started it again.
    I does the preinfusion cycle again, that was a marked improvement, in both pour characteristics, and more importantly, taste.

However I have not got it right.
    I am also tinkering with this approach on the EM6910, but it needs it less, but about a 5 second wait before going to the full pressure pour, then cut it when the blonding starts,or in my decription, watery pour starts, just after the golden crema stops.

Maybe all irrelvant trivia, but you know what new converts to anything are like!
    That's me!

Hi there I'm new to this forum had the same problem with my barista express from breville which I have about a week now from upgrading from the breville bean to cup .I tried as you said bring between 4 and 5 and bring amount at 4 o' clock position and getting good results thanks guys.