Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Newbie Seeks experienced advice

Newbie Seeks experienced advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys im looking at starting into the coffe business shortly as a caffee owner operator. Before I do that I have decided to turn my passion for coffee into a realization by first getting a good system for my home to perfect my talent before unleashing on the unsuspecting public I was using a breville $150 dollar machine and blade grinder to practice but want to step it up.

I am looking for advice on what machine I should get, I do not want to buy one of the mainstream brands - Breville, sunbeam etc. I can afford to pay up to 2.5k for a machine and grinder but would prefer to stay around the 1.5 k mark if I can this is where I need your help.

I also don't want to wait 8-40 mins every morning to make a cup of Espresso so I think i need a thermo block? system I'm not sure.

I live in South Australia and I am also looking for a good coffee roasting shop where I can go to get freshly roasted high quality beans.
    If you guys could help me out that would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading and have a amazing day!

Hi,

Welcome.

Check out the sponsor section, Sponsors

If you want somewhere local, you may want to check out Complete Cafe Services as I think they have some refurbished and demo machines. For local coffee beans, you may want to check out Red Berry Espresso, Patio Coffee, D'Angelo, The Coffee Barun, or even Scottbase (coffeesnob member) for some advice.

Note, I have no vested interested in any of the above.

Cheers

If you plan to open a cafe, I suggest a prosumer e61 based espresso machine. The e61 is used on commercial machines and will be exactly the same experience as the prosumer models.

Within your budget of 2.5K with a grinder, are the heat exchanger e61s. Your grinder choices would include the Macap M2M and Compak K3 Push.

Check out the Sponsor websites.

could I get a idea on where to purchase the e61 summer and the macap m2m from a good place in Aus? Kind regards

Quote Originally Posted by Davetaylor View Post
    could I get a idea on where to purchase the e61 summer and the macap m2m from a good place in Aus?
    Quote Originally Posted by sam678 View Post
    I've seen more than a few people fall by the wayside simply because they can't grasp the importance of investing in the coffee side of their

café venture. Too often I come across the philosophy of " I can make great coffee by buying the best coffee and

just pushing the right button on the 'a for auto' machine".

The other one goes something like this...."I'll buy cheap equipment, hire cheap labour, buy cheap beans and make a fortune from making awesome coffee,

because I'm passionate about it"

You don't have to spend mega bucks and buy top shelf equipment that doesn't suit the rung of the ladder that you'll find yourself on

but far too many people say they have a passion for coffee, want to serve great, if not the best coffee in town but then turnaround and buy

junk 2nd hand equipment that is too old, poorly maintained, was never any good to start with (or all three), or they buy the

cheapest possible new equipment without understanding why it's cheap and what its limitations are. This applies to both machines and grinders.

Buy yourself some decent equipment. One of my better clients, who went the retro route with their coffee machine, had their original Faema e61 2 group set up

on their kitchen bench for 6 months prior to opening so they could learn to use it properly and hit the ground running with a good understanding of how

things work. They are now going gang busters and haven't even had their first birthday. They have the philosophy of; "if we concentrate on the coffee,

the money will walk in the door again and again and then come back with it's friends and family".

If you can't be bothered waiting "8-40 minutes every morning" it suggests that you will struggle to "bother" to invest in the time

and patience required to get things right with your coffee.

p.s. ..... put a timer on your machine power supply so it heats up before you get up.
    Last edited by chokkidog; 3rd August 2015 at 10:56 PM.
    Dimal, Vinitasse, gonzo89 and 1 others like this.

"My passion for coffee" and "I also don't want to wait 8-40min every morning to make a cup of espresso" are not statements that really go together. But as Choki says you can use a timer so get your machine warming up before you get up each morning. Or what I do on mornings when I have limited time is get up and go straight to the kitchen to turn my machine on before I do anything else. I then go and get myself ready for the day and by the time I've done that my machine is ready to use.
    I would suggest that you go and do a weekend home barista course somewhere. Some of the site sponsors run them so check them out. It will be an easy way to be introduced to quality equipment and coffee and you can have a look at a machine for yourself while you're there.
    rawill and gonzo89 like this.

TC
    could I get a idea on where to purchase the e61 summer and the macap m2m from a good place in Aus? Kind regards
    Here's one.... August special: Vibiemme Domobar Junior & Compak K3 Push/Macap M2M | Talk Coffee

Dave,

I don’t know anything about cafés in South Australia, however here in Sydney they are spreading like a plague. At Chatswood, near me, about 10 new ones have sprung up in the last year. This is good for me and other consumers as the availability of well-made coffee has improved but competition will cause some cafés to fail.

Have you had any experience in running a business? One thing is being able to make great coffee. The other thing is to be able to run your café at a profit.

I suggest that you do a coffee brewing course and get some experience working in an existing café before starting your own.

Good luck.

Barry

My new machine and thanks for all the advice guys! :)

Dimal and gonzo89 like this.

After reading alot of extensive help from you guys and from coffegeeks I have decided to go with a ECM TECHNIKA IV and a MAZZER super jolly-mini-lux

Thanks for the help! And I will take your advice on board ! Kind regards!

Hey Dave

Wow. Nice :-)
    This will be an excellent machine to learn on. Take the very good advice above from chokidog, Leroy & Barry
    1. Learn on your own prosumer machine. Learn how to solve extraction problems, you can't have customers waiting while you try to work out whats wrong. Try different beans and blends and how different extract times, doses, tamps, grinds affect the taste and texture.
    2. Do a basic barista course and a basic cupping course.
    3. Get some cafe experience if you can. Have a look at how busy baristas are in cafes and how many staff they have.
    Someone I know who setup their own cafe a few years ago spent $50k for setup - all that gear and decor adds up fast.
    4. Then reconsider :-)
    Have fun

Mike

Damn this was a quick turn around from initial question to killer machine...

I'll keep a close eye on the marketplace.

Tremendous. I'm guessing you at least doubled your preferred budget. Makes you much less of a candidate for upgraditis - a serious affliction for many 'snobs.

I can afford to pay up to 2.5k for a machine and grinder but would prefer to stay around the 1.5 k mark if I can this is where I need your help.

Thanks for the comments guys im guessing i bought a good machine from the comments which is great to hear! I was wondering if you guys know or like Dibella coffee or RIO coffee? I have both at the moment and trying them out; ill be doing a barrista course on the 29th and will be looking at some work at a Caffè aswell

Kindest regards
    Dimal likes this.

That's good to hear Dave. And yes its a nice setup you have. You will really like that machine and so will your friends when they see it and taste your shots. Have fun and learn lots on the Barista course and good luck with cafe work :-)

Mike

Thanks Mike! I have a few photos of some Di'Bella coffee that I was given for free as a sample in case I decided to use them as my supplier in the future. I talked to an artisan barrister when I bought the machine on how to make a shot and dial in the machine.
    I'm not saying i'm any good but I tried to follow his advice as much as I could. Basically he told me I should be looking to fill 30 mil of coffee into a shot glass for 1 shot of coffee in 30-32 seconds. After 30 seconds exactly this is my result with Di'bella could I get some critique? I normally drink my coffee with milk and a little sugar but for tasting this brew I did not use either. It tasted very bitter with a slight sourness any ideas what I've done wrong? Here are some photos of what it looked like.

Well this is showing a lot more promise. That's a great looking set up you've gone for there. And that shot looks pretty good, but appearances can be deceiving. 30ml in 30sec is good for a single shot or a double ristretto. How much ground coffee did you dose into the basket? If it was around 8-10g then that's a single espresso shot. If you dosed 14-18g (or more) then you're looking at more of a double ristretto. So while 30ml in 30sec is a good start it could still be underextracted if you've dosed a 'double' shot.
    For a beginner I'd be recommending at least a 2:1 ratio using the double shot basket. It's more forgiving when you're pulling a shot and the drink you produce is probably easier on the tastebuds too.
    So if you dose 16g of ground coffee into the double shot basket you should get at least 32g of espresso in your cup. This should equal close to 40ml including crema and still take around 28-30sec. Keep an eye on the stream of espresso as it comes out of the spout. It should be a thin 'rats tail' and the shot should usually be stopped just before or just as that stream starts to 'blonde' (ie. lighten in colour noticeably. This is only a rough guide though as different beans will make a big difference to colour and sometimes 'blonding' is a good thing and sometimes not). Flavour in the cup is more important than all these numbers though so don't get hung up on them.
    Also as you're doing this with professional ambitions in mind I'd be recording as much as possible. Write notes, film yourself, whatever works. Good luck.

. I talked to an artisan barrister when I bought the machine on how to make a shot and dial in the machine......
    .... It tasted very bitter with a slight sourness any ideas what I've done wrong?
    i doubt you will learn much of coffee making from a. " barrister" !
    ..seriously Dave , if you intend to be professional about this, you should go on a coffee course with a reputable supplier.
    gonzo89 likes this.

Hi there Leroy

I've posted a few pics of what I do to make a double shot. This is how I was shown and Im not sure if I should measure out the dosage or do it by eye like I was shown? This is the results

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    i doubt you will learn much of coffee making from a. " barrister" !
    ..seriously Dave , if you intend to be professional about this, you should go on a coffee course with a reputable supplier.
    I guess I can take that one I did not give you enough information. The person who showed me owned RIO coffee a master roaster an artisan barrister and multi-millionaire. I will be doing a full course with RIO Coffee they included it with the machine kind of them to do

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    I guess I can take that one I did not give you enough information. The person who showed me owned RIO coffee a master roaster an artisan barrister and multi-millionaire. I will be doing a full course with RIO Coffee they included it with the machine kind of them to do
    I think you might have slightly missed B52's point Dave. A 'barrister' is a person who represents you in a court of law. A 'barista' makes your coffee. You could, of course, be both, but it is not a common moonlighting outlet

Have a good one.

Hi there Leroy

I've posted a few pics of what I do to make a double shot. This is how I was shown and Im not sure if I should measure out the dosage or do it by eye like I was shown? This is the results
    Ah I see. You're dosing your double filter basket to make two single shot espressos. Yep that's a good starting point. It's a bit hard to tell from still photos, but if anything you could be over extracting a little bit. Someone with this or a similar machine will be able to answer better, but those 'rats tails' look a little fat. You could try a couple of things. The first and easiest would be to do everything the same but stop the shot sooner, maybe around the 26-28sec mark rather than 30-32sec. Are you timing from when you turn the pump on or from when you first see coffee come from the spout? The other thing to try would be a slightly finer grinder setting.
    I wouldn't worry too much cause if you're doing a course soon they'll bring you up to speed. As far as dosing goes I'd recommend weighing your dose at this stage. You can still do everything as you are now just weigh your portafilter before and after you've dosed the coffee. That way you'll know how consistent your dosing method is. Eventually you'll want to be able to dose consistently without scales as in a work environment you won't often have time to be weighing doses. (Unless you're using a single dose grinder that does it for you). But for now I'd recommend measuring and recording as much as possible.

If you want to see a nice looking extraction jump on YouTube and look for Jetblack Espresso's video demonstrations of the Profitec machines. Similar level machines to yours and they get some very nice looking extractions from them.

TOK
    Hi there.

Am I the only one that isnt entirely happy with whats going on in this thread?

OP joins CS 2 days ago. Starts thread 24 hours ago and knows not much. Includes at least a couple of bits of nice bait (the usual cliches..."passion for coffee" etc) in the post, as picked up by others already.

By the end of the day he's got himself into some fancy equipment, and the next morning is posting photos on line showing someone that has a reasonable command of all that already making coffee.

At this rate he will be in his new cafe open for business by Monday, roasting professionally by the following Monday, leasing the porsche by next month.

Just sayin.....

And happy to retract if this is all legit.

TC
    Good to see all going well Dave...

Now where can I get me one of those Super Jolly Mini Luxes?

Hi there TOK

Most of the people on this forum and everyone ive met in the last week have gotten me to where i am now. I have only done online reading listened to the pros on this forum and i owned a $140 entry lvl breville machine and blade grinder before that. I like to read what people have to say that is constructive and put into action and me mispelling barista probably points to how new i am I had a laugh

Thanks for the links to the youtube chanels
    In reply im starting my timer from when i push the lever up not when i see coffee coming out is that wrong?

Kind regards

me mispelling barista probably points to how new i am I had a laugh

And the fact that you initially defended/misunderstood that mistake had me willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that indeed you were not a fraud (ie a genuine novice - tho learning quickly!)
    Last edited by WantRancilio10; 5th August 2015 at 01:19 PM.

Thankyou

Well, Dave, if your café venture falls through .......there might be an opening for you in infomercials. ;-)

Could I get a reply from Leroy when you are free I just made 3 consecutive 2 shot baskets using the method i posted in the photos. I came to an average for those 3 baskets of 21 grams of ground coffee powder. What advice would you give here? to try and grind finer this making more volume in my basket and getting down to the 16 gram of ground coffee to make a 28 second shot with 40 ml of liquid?

Kind regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Good to see all going well Dave...

Now where can I get me one of those Super Jolly Mini Luxes?

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I'm guessing you probably know exactly where to get one I haven't looked you up but I'm going to guess you might sell these machines ???

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I'm guessing you probably know exactly where to get one I haven't looked you up but I'm going to guess you might sell these machines ???
    TC is just pointing out in his own way that the 'super jolly' the 'mini' and the 'lux' are 3 different models of Mazzer grinders, so one can't own a 'super jolly mini lux'.. But given all the naming confusion in this thread, I'm not surprised those names have been conflated. Don't worry about it.

BTW I'm jealous of your coffee machine.

Could I get a reply from Leroy when you are free I just made 3 consecutive 2 shot baskets using the method i posted in the photos. I came to an average for those 3 baskets of 21 grams of ground coffee powder. What advice would you give here? to try and grind finer this making more volume in my basket and getting down to the 16 gram of ground coffee to make a 28 second shot with 40 ml of liquid?

Kind regards!
    Someone with the same or similar machine will be better to answer. But at a basic level 21g is plenty for producing two single shots. When you say the 'average' was 21g, what were the three individually? They should all be within about 0.5g of each other (at the most). I'd say that you should be extracting for around 30sec (timed from when you turn the pump on). How many seconds after turning the pump on do you first see coffee start to pour from the portafilter spouts? That will make a difference to the overall time.

Hey Leroy

I didn't want to sound biased but every shot weighed exactly 21 grams each time. I filled the basket tamped it weighed it, emptied it and went again doing this 3 times in a row got me 21 grams exactly each time. Now I only have a $16 scale maybe its not fine enough to pick up in the .00 of grams?

As for my coffee im now trying some cheap Vittoria beans that I got from the supermarket and I've had to dial the grind in really fine to be able to get 40 ml of liquid in 21 secs from the time the pump is turned on. I read somewhere because the coffee isnt as fresh as the stuff I was given earlier as a sample from Dibella coffee the coffee will lack viscosity and therefore run to fast. Just using cheap beans because I am trying to work on my milk stretching and texturing and latte art which is going really slowly

I have good quality beans that Ill use soon they are about 5 days old from their roast date at the moment so I think I have till 14 days so another 9 days to use them?

I'm a long time reader of coffeesnobs on and off and I finally decided to sign up just to say that there appears to be a bunch of really jaded people on this forum. Give the guy a break, I think his blind enthusiasm is great and my god if you don't have that to start a small business you'll never get it started. Thinking the guy is a troll and not thinking about what he is doing is a bit much? Dave if you get your shop running and I'm ever in the town your setting it up in I'll definitely come by and have a coffee More people need to get out there and just jump head first into what they want to do instead of standing on the sidelines sucking lemons and throwing stones .
    kopigeek likes this.

Newbie Seeks experienced advice

Quote Originally Posted by supernashwan View Post
    I'm a long time reader of coffeesnobs on and off and I finally decided to sign up just to say that there appears to be a bunch of really jaded people on this forum. Give the guy a break, I think his blind enthusiasm is great and my god if you don't have that to start a small business you'll never get it started. Thinking the guy is a troll and not thinking about what he is doing is a bit much? Dave if you get your shop running and I'm ever in the town your setting it up in I'll definitely come by and have a coffee More people need to get out there and just jump head first into what they want to do instead of standing on the sidelines sucking lemons and throwing stones .
    How to make friends and influence people.........not.

Is this the worst first post ever? Maybe, maybe not. I just re-read the whole thread and I can't see anything all that negative in there. There were a couple of honest posts where people expressed their opinions about hesitations around the OP's venture, and one from a long time member who's no doubt seen his fair share of dodgy posts and threads and was just wondering about the OP's intentions. Just an honest post and far from a personal attack or anything. What I DID see was that the majority of posts were either supporting the OP in his quest or attempting to give actual and productive assistance.
    So I'm not sure what your post is really trying to achieve. If anything it will just make the doubters more suspicious.

And Dave about coffee freshness - what you've said is a fair generalisation. Coffee roasted at home using an air method is more like 2-10 days after roast for its usable window. But coffee bought fresh from a local roaster can be good from about 4-5 days up to 3 or 4 weeks, or even longer if you're not using it for espresso.
    Dimal, chokkidog, TC and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    But coffee bought fresh from a local roaster can be good from about 4-5 days up to 3 or 4 weeks, or even longer if you're not using it for espresso.
    What makes the commercial coffee last longer?

Rbn
    I liked the look of his set up, and to me the two shots of the pour looked good.
    I would like to get that with my pour, as long as it tasted the way I like it.
    I want it sweetish, not going bitter, and I do not use sugar at anytime, only the espresso and stretched milk, hopefully silky with little or no foam.

Only thing I could add for Dave is, how about using a naked P/F so you can see exactly what is happening.
    I use Naked P/F and 7g VST basket.

Hi guys im looking at starting into the coffe business shortly as a caffee owner operator. Before I do that I have decided to turn my passion for coffee into a realization by first getting a good system for my home to perfect my talent before unleashing on the unsuspecting public I was using a breville $150 dollar machine and blade grinder to practice but want to step it up.

I am looking for advice on what machine I should get, I do not want to buy one of the mainstream brands - Breville, sunbeam etc. I can afford to pay up to 2.5k for a machine and grinder but would prefer to stay around the 1.5 k mark if I can this is where I need your help.

I also don't want to wait 8-40 mins every morning to make a cup of Espresso so I think i need a thermo block? system I'm not sure.

I live in South Australia and I am also looking for a good coffee roasting shop where I can go to get freshly roasted high quality beans.
    If you guys could help me out that would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading and have a amazing day!
    ...One piece of advice is dont get your machine or grinder through a coffee company,you will be tied to there brand.and believe me there are some ordinary coffees out there,mainly the mainstream ones that are the worst,stick with Andy.and buy somthing simple,i serve possibly 4 to 8 kgs a day and use a simple Wega atlas and a second hand La Povoni grinder.not a single issue with either one.,good luck

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    More people need to get out there and just jump head first into what they want to do instead of standing on the sidelines sucking lemons and throwing stones .
    I suspect this advice should come with a few riders I'm all for people pursuing their dream, but when that extends to plonking a few hundred K into a business that they do not (yet) know much about, it can amount to (quite costly) foolishness (I'm not referring to the OP....just a general statement). Hasten cautiously
    chokkidog, Vinitasse and TOK like this.

TOK
    Hi there.

Re post #39.

Afraid that is a gross exaggeration and over simplification. There is a lot more to a supplier client relationship than that.

Going it entirely alone and buy coffee by mail order without local service is ok while it's ok....and when the sheet hits the fan it is far from OK and going it alone is not for everyone.

The OP might like to select his coffee supplier first, then see how it can help service his business. The client should be able to then make up his mind what he does and doesn't want from his chosen supplier.

Keeping suppliers at arms length is good for neither party and experience has shown, that the advice in post 39 is definitely not for everyone.

Hope that helps.

TOK
    Quote Originally Posted by saeco_user View Post
    What makes the commercial coffee last longer?
    Different methods of roasting result in different effects on the resulting product including imparting different characters to identical coffee from the same bag of greens.

Much home roasting is done using 100 percent air (convection) roasting, while much commercial roasting is done either by 100 percent conduction OR a mix of conduction and convection.

Hope that helps
    Vinitasse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post

Is this the worst first post ever? Maybe, maybe not. I just re-read the whole thread and I can't see anything all that negative in there. There were a couple of honest posts where people expressed their opinions about hesitations around the OP's venture, and one from a long time member who's no doubt seen his fair share of dodgy posts and threads and was just wondering about the OP's intentions. Just an honest post and far from a personal attack or anything. What I DID see was that the majority of posts were either supporting the OP in his quest or attempting to give actual and productive assistance.
    So I'm not sure what your post is really trying to achieve. If anything it will just make the doubters more suspicious.
    Perhaps you need to re-read the thread with your positivity glasses on and find that there isn't a lot there. I don't want to go back through the thread and point out this bit and that bit etc. Yes people have expressed their opinions, none have lauded the guy for trying to make a go of things. Essentially my post is more about trying to just make people being a bit kinder on peoples endeavor's instead of picking apart his posts and going "I had a laugh can't wait for your coffee machine to start up, so mustn't be passionate", "I had a laugh barrista/barista", "I had a laugh bought a expensive coffee machine quickly so he'll obviously sell it soon because of the supposed no passion" etc. I know it is the internet and negativity is abound. But I've usually found this place to be fair to people and hope it isn't going downhill.

PS - I don't want to this to go off topic anymore so if you are going to reply telling me I must be completely wrong. Don't bother.

TOK
    Actually I think you are quite wrong and people including me who sometimes make statements that some others seem to find blunt, think very hard before doing that.

The problem in forums can be that people are encouraged to do totally nonsensical things, and those that dole out the encouragement are not the ones risking their hard earned... essentially meaning, "talk's cheap".

How valuable will any discussion be, when it is restricted only to all those lovely "positive" people who will tell anyone and everyone how great they are for having a go, even when the ideas just don't smell right. Political correctness gone mad.

It does no one harm to get an occasional shot of reality from others that have been around a while.

Hope that helps.
    Vinitasse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tucrazy View Post
    Hi,

Welcome.

Check out the sponsor section, Sponsors

If you want somewhere local, you may want to check out Complete Cafe Services as I think they have some refurbished and demo machines. For local coffee beans, you may want to check out Red Berry Espresso, Patio Coffee, D'Angelo, The Coffee Barun, or even Scottbase (coffeesnob member) for some advice.

Note, I have no vested interested in any of the above.

Cheers
    That's helpful advice. 🏻

Quote Originally Posted by sam678 View Post
    If you plan to open a cafe, I suggest a prosumer e61 based espresso machine. The e61 is used on commercial machines and will be exactly the same experience as the prosumer models.

Within your budget of 2.5K with a grinder, are the heat exchanger e61s. Your grinder choices would include the Macap M2M and Compak K3 Push.

That's helpful advice. 🏻

Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    I've seen more than a few people fall by the wayside simply because they can't grasp the importance of investing in the coffee side of their

café venture. Too often I come across the philosophy of " I can make great coffee by buying the best coffee and

just pushing the right button on the 'a for auto' machine".

The other one goes something like this...."I'll buy cheap equipment, hire cheap labour, buy cheap beans and make a fortune from making awesome coffee,

because I'm passionate about it"

You don't have to spend mega bucks and buy top shelf equipment that doesn't suit the rung of the ladder that you'll find yourself on

but far too many people say they have a passion for coffee, want to serve great, if not the best coffee in town but then turnaround and buy

junk 2nd hand equipment that is too old, poorly maintained, was never any good to start with (or all three), or they buy the

cheapest possible new equipment without understanding why it's cheap and what its limitations are. This applies to both machines and grinders.

Buy yourself some decent equipment. One of my better clients, who went the retro route with their coffee machine, had their original Faema e61 2 group set up

on their kitchen bench for 6 months prior to opening so they could learn to use it properly and hit the ground running with a good understanding of how

things work. They are now going gang busters and haven't even had their first birthday. They have the philosophy of; "if we concentrate on the coffee,

the money will walk in the door again and again and then come back with it's friends and family".

If you can't be bothered waiting "8-40 minutes every morning" it suggests that you will struggle to "bother" to invest in the time

and patience required to get things right with your coffee.

p.s. ..... put a timer on your machine power supply so it heats up before you get up.
    A couple of reality checks, but also lots of really good advice. 🏻

"I had a laugh bought a expensive coffee machine quickly so he'll obviously sell it soon because of the supposed no passion"
    Incidentally my post about him getting an ECM so quickly after talking about a thermoblock was jokingly anticipating a further upgrade to a LM GS/3... rather than giving up. I was impressed, and hopefully my first machine can be an ECM!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    Dave,

I don’t know anything about cafés in South Australia, however here in Sydney they are spreading like a plague. At Chatswood, near me, about 10 new ones have sprung up in the last year. This is good for me and other consumers as the availability of well-made coffee has improved but competition will cause some cafés to fail.

Have you had any experience in running a business? One thing is being able to make great coffee. The other thing is to be able to run your café at a profit.

I suggest that you do a coffee brewing course and get some experience working in an existing café before starting your own.

Good luck.

Barry
    Yet more good, balanced, informative advice and we're only at post 8. 🏻

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Incidentally my post about him getting an ECM so quickly after talking about a thermoblock was jokingly anticipating a further upgrade to a LM GS/3... rather than giving up. I was impressed, and hopefully my first machine can be an ECM!
    Humour is not allowed 'readeral'.
    Vinitasse and TOK like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast