Thread: EM6910 Steam switch issue - need advice

EM6910 Steam switch issue - need advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi community,

I've had a 6910 for almost 7 years now. Been a great unit, only had to replace the steam pump once and minimal other issues. It was a wedding present so it's just been awesome. It is starting to show it's age now. The rubber buttons are starting to break around the edges allowing moisture into the board and it occasionally shorts out. I opened it up the other dayton see if bugs we're causing the problem, and in doing so I've created a new problem. The steam pump now no longer completely shuts off. As soon as the unit comes up to temperature the steam pump kicks in as though it's going to produce steam, but as only JUST on, so only a small amount of steam comes out the nozzle, and water is pumped out into the tray. The steam still works fine when I turn it on, but I'm sure it isn't good for the steam pump to be on all the time like this.

I've noticed there's a few little bits of plastic that have broken off the steam switch, I think from me trying to put it back together. I've attached a photo to show the switch. My guess is that these little bits break the link in the switch so it shuts completely off, but without them there it keeps it active? I'm not sure. Any advice on a quick fix would be great. I'm not looking to spend money on this unit for new parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've noticed there's a few little bits of plastic that have broken off the steam switch, I think from me trying to put it back together. I've attached a photo to show the switch. My guess is that these little bits break the link in the switch so it shuts completely off, but without them there it keeps it active?
    The steam (and hot water) switches are both quite fragile and it looks like you are correct in assuming you have broken it putting the top of the machine back on.
    The switch is not securely fixed in position and just sits over a couple of plastic pins so it is prone to jumping out of place and getting broken as the top is pushed down over it.
    From your photo it looks as though the actuating button and lever have both fallen out when it broke and it has it gone closed circuit, so you will have to replace the switch.
    Here is a photo of a complete switch assembly -

DSCF5115.jpg

If you are OK with soldering you should be able to source another similar switch from somewhere like Jaycar and replace the broken one, or take the machine to a repairer and have it fixed.

Trev