Thread: EM6910 Not producing honey drip coffee

EM6910 Not producing honey drip coffee

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,
    I have acquired a 6910 recently and I have had the usual issues like a lot of other people such as having to put a new seal in it as well as a spacer as the group head had worn dramatically. The machine was producing nice honey drip coffee in the optimum pour range with just about any beans I purchased. I thought I had this coffee making process nailed until the new rubber seal broke after a couple of weeks due to the group head being so worn. So then I decided to bite the bullet and replace the collar following the instructions from this site.
    Everything seemed to go back fairly nicely and now for the first time the group handle sits at 12 o'clock perfectly and there is absolutely no leaks. However despite the nice mechanical improvements I can no longer produce a decent coffee. At first I thought it might be the grinder I was using as this was an Aurora blade grinder, total nasty cheap stuff. Yet it was grinding a mix that my machine was working with nicely in the past.
    So I went and purchased a new 0480 to grind with and purchased some decent beans. No luck coffee still lifeless and watery when it pours through even in the optimum pour range. I am kinda lost at this point as I can't think of anything else I should do. I will also mention I did a descale with the Sunbeam tablets just prior to the collar replacement.
    I am sure there are a lot of savvy people with EM 6910 experience on this forum that could suggest a few things. No doubt its a process of elimination and I am eager to get started as my wife wants to know why the hell I am persevering with this coffee machine. I keep assuring her that I will get there in the end with the help of well educated Coffee Snobs.

If you aren't getting leakage around the group head anymore, it must be the grind of your beans. I could be asking stupid question, and sorry if it is, but are you across the grind/tamp aspects of espresso.

The other thing I'm thinking is if the portafilter is sitting lower once locked in now. If it is, there may be too large a gap between the level of the tamped coffee and the group head. This would contribute to channelling, resulting in a poor shot. that's just my thoughts of what it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchybar View Post
    Hello,
    I have acquired a 6910 recently and I have had the usual issues like a lot of other people such as having to put a new seal in it as well as a spacer as the group head had worn dramatically. The machine was producing nice honey drip coffee in the optimum pour range with just about any beans I purchased. I thought I had this coffee making process nailed until the new rubber seal broke after a couple of weeks due to the group head being so worn. So then I decided to bite the bullet and replace the collar following the instructions from this site.
    Everything seemed to go back fairly nicely and now for the first time the group handle sits at 12 o'clock perfectly and there is absolutely no leaks. However despite the nice mechanical improvements I can no longer produce a decent coffee. At first I thought it might be the grinder I was using as this was an Aurora blade grinder, total nasty cheap stuff. Yet it was grinding a mix that my machine was working with nicely in the past.
    So I went and purchased a new 0480 to grind with and purchased some decent beans. No luck coffee still lifeless and watery when it pours through even in the optimum pour range. I am kinda lost at this point as I can't think of anything else I should do. I will also mention I did a descale with the Sunbeam tablets just prior to the collar replacement.
    I am sure there are a lot of savvy people with EM 6910 experience on this forum that could suggest a few things. No doubt its a process of elimination and I am eager to get started as my wife wants to know why the hell I am persevering with this coffee machine. I keep assuring her that I will get there in the end with the help of well educated Coffee Snobs.
    G'day Crunchybar (another addict I see...)

I just posted a bit on water on http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post560938 a couple of days ago. So many of the newer cleaners taint the coffee for a litre or two, that may be the culprit. I have even had a couple of them foul up the temp / pressure of the machine. I know, I am not a fan of them at all, so call me biased.

The other main possibility is if you are using the dual floor basket - it works with most blade grinders but fails with anything decent. Swap to the single floor, grind fine enough so a proper dose pours in 25 to 30 seconds (not counting preinfusion) and it should be close enough to fine tune later.

Please repost after you have excluded those IF you still have a prob.

Good luck

TampIt

Thanks to both Members for the above advise. I have done some more investigative reading on the site and I seem to now be making progress by changing the grind and the way I tamp the coffee and the level. Today I seem to have really hit the sweet spot and am now getting real coffee. The machine has certainly changed since the replacement parts and now has to be used quite differently to what I was use to.
    Its tough business making decent coffee.

Rbn
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchybar View Post
    ts tough business making decent coffee.
    Isn't that the truth.

It took many posts from the "wise men" on here to help me get any way along the journey at all.
    Tampit and Journeyman were really patient with me, but so were others.

The big myth is that all you need is a machine, grinder, and beans and you are good to go.
    That is far from true, like most things in life it takes practice, practice, practice, and there are so many variables.
    But I should stop now.

So just enjoy the journey, and the coffee, you will be soon, if not already making better coffee than you can get in most cafes.

Rbn

Rbn
    So Crunchybar, have you got to the stage where you can get a drip of treacle yet.
    I haven't but then again,
    inspite of expert help from this forum, I am still a slightly educated novice.