Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry_Duncan
  • 1 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Sunbeam EM7000 or Breville Barista Express BES870?

Sunbeam EM7000 or Breville Barista Express BES870?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Everyone,

1st time poster here.....My 9 y.o. Sunbeam Cafe series coffee machine has finally given up the ghost over the weekend & I'm keen to replace it, so keen in fact that I've actually bought a EM7000 from Hardly Normals today for $689 (I think this is pretty good price?).

However, I did like the look of the Breville BES870 "Barista Express" so I just wanted to know, once & for all whether I did the right thing?

I'm concious that there is two major differences between the two in that the E7000 has a twin boiler so I can froth & brew at the same time & the Breville has an inbuilt conical burr grinder.......but everything else, i.e. pressure, Electronic PID temperature control, true low pressure pre-infusion, & dedicated hot water outlet, water filtration system etc... seems to match up? I was offered a price of $649 for the Breville....

Have I bought the best machine for the money; I'm only making 1-2 cups of latte each day & I already have a burr grinder however space in the kitchen is tight???

Cheers

Matthew

Just curious - if everyone says the breville is better are you planning on returning the sunbeam?

Good question!

I'm not sure, I'm just curious to know what people on a forum dedicated to coffee think, that's all.

From what I can see/read, I think I have made the right choice but I just want to double check.

Cheers

Matthew

Rbn
    Have they changed the EM7000 from thermobloc to boilers.
    I didn't think so, and I suspect this is the major difference betwee the two systems.

Rbn
    My old EM6910 has probably pulled in excess of 7000 shots.
    Still going well, with VST baskets and naked P/F.

Matthew, Hello and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

I understand that both the Sunbeam EM7000 and the Breville BES870 have thermoblocks, not boilers. Although Breville call theirs a thermocoil which is much the same.

I have not used a Sunbeam so cannot compare machines but I did own a Breville BES860 the prior machine to the BES870 and I had to modify the grinder to get my coffee fine enough.

Four years ago I upgraded to a Breville Dual Boiler BES900 which makes better coffee. The BES870 is still working well for a friend.

I would suggest that you stick with your EM700 and work on your grind, dose and tamp to get the best results you can out of it. The coffee you use is very important for the results you get.

Barry
    rawill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    Matthew, Hello and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

work on your grind, dose and tamp to get the best results you can out of it.
    Yep. A good grinder with fresh beans is a must. A grinder upgrade may be your best next step. A good grinder will last forever-ish so buying one in-built can be a false economy as the machine probably won't last nearly as long.

Thanks Everyone,

1st couple of coffee's this morning weren't great so I need to practice.

I've dialled the grinder
    (EMO480) all the way back to 7 (was set at 16 when using dual floor basket) but it's still not perfect as I'm getting a black extraction during what I think is the pre-infusion stage & then whilst the stream is "mouse tail" in nature, I didn't extract a big crema & it tastes watery? If I dial the grinder back to 5 or 6, it doesn't extract at all & the pressure gauge was off the scale?

Is this more to do with my tamping?

I'll keep trying & maybe try with the dual floor from my EM6900?

Cheers all

Matthew

Sounds like old beans.

Java "Always fresh beans" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Hi Javaphile,

More than likely as they're run of the mill, Vittorrio "Organic" blend I picked up for sale in Woolworths about a month ago for half price ($15 kg from memory) so I don't know how old they are.

I'll buy some fresh coffee tomorrow (Adelaide's The Grind "Supa Crema") & have a play!

Cheers

Matthew

Sunbeam EM7000 or Breville Barista Express BES870?

Yep, fresh beans will be needed to make the ultimate judgement. Once you've got some it's just getting the grind/dose/tamp mixture right. Are you able to weigh your doses as well? This could be useful at least while you're working things out.
    Fresh beans, a setting of 6 or 7 on the EM0480, about 16-18g of coffee in your portafilter and a suitable tamp should be good starting point. Make adjustments from there, but only adjust one thing at a time so you can keep track. And adjust in small increments whether it's the dose or grind setting or tamp.
    And I'm guessing you're using that crappy Sunbeam tamper that came with the EM7000. The one with the black plastic handle? If so I'd recommend getting a better tamper at some point. Good luck.
    rawill likes this.

Hi LeroyC, Thanks for the tips. Any suggestions for what tamper would work well together with a VTL 18g basket?

Quote Originally Posted by mattjaylor2809 View Post
    Hi LeroyC, Thanks for the tips. Any suggestions for what tamper would work well together with a VTL 18g basket?
    I don't know what a VTL basket is sorry. You don't need to spend heaps, but spending a bit more to get a reasonable one will mean it's a keeper for a long time. I'd go for something with a flat or very slightly convex base (like some of the Cafelat ones), but someone else might have a more specific recommendation for your set up.

Hello Mattew,

If making only 2 drinks a day, you donít need an expensive fancy tamper. As long as the disc is flat and fits into the basket without jamming.

I once made one from a bit of the branch of a gum tree that was the right diameter and it worked well.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 19th August 2015 at 11:52 AM.

Rbn
    Thanks Everyone,

1st couple of coffee's this morning weren't great so I need to practice.

I've dialled the grinder
    (EMO480) all the way back to 7 (was set at 16 when using dual floor basket) but it's still not perfect as I'm getting a black extraction during what I think is the pre-infusion stage & then whilst the stream is "mouse tail" in nature, I didn't extract a big crema & it tastes watery? If I dial the grinder back to 5 or 6, it doesn't extract at all & the pressure gauge was off the scale?

Is this more to do with my tamping?

I'll keep trying & maybe try with the dual floor from my EM6900?

Cheers all

Matthew
    Your coffee equipment is good enough to make coffees as good as if not better than most cafes.

Just saying, so keep at it.
    Fresh beans and follow good Leroy's pointers.

I have an EM6910/EM480.
    Naked P/F, VST baskets.

I can choke my machine if I get it wrong.
    Not that it matters but my pressure needle goes to just on the red.

Pour is slow dark drips, going to a central stream, then going honey coloured, then blonding.

After advice on here recently I have been starting the 1 shot button, stoping after the preinfusion stage,
    waiting 5 seconds and starting it again.
    I normally cut it just as it starts to go off honey to watery.

Only timed it once, but that was about 25 seconds.
    For my liking I need a bit more crema on the top.
    More tinkering needed by me.

And after a hint from a person on here I checked my showerscreens.
    They were overdue for a clean - Ouch!

Enjoy your coffee.

Rbn

AND, although I never did this, some say start out with a double rather than a single basket.
    Much easier to dial in they say.

I have almost always used a single shot basket with its own issues.

Hi Guys, excellent advice all-round so thanks to all. I have a few follow up questions though, i.e. what do you mean by Naked P/F? Do you mean a straight through basket as opposed to a dual floor? I've also noticed you can buy ridged or non-ridged VST baskets; what are the diff's, pro's & con''s? Cheers all, matt

Hello Mattew,

A naked or bottomless portafilter has had the bottom cut off or is made without a bottom to funnel the flow.

Look it up on the net and you can find plenty of pictures and stories about them.

It allows you to see how the flow is. If ok the coffee runs in a single stream in the middle while if it channels unevenly it may squirt in all directions.

I use one whenever using my single basket which is most of the time.

Barry

I've also noticed you can buy ridged or non-ridged VST baskets; what are the diff's, pro's & con''s? Cheers all, matt
    All you ever wanted to know about them, and then some: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...been-like.html

Java "Basket what?" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

god-shot1.jpg

Naked!

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether there is a naked group handle that fits the EM7000? I'm not sure my technique is "ready" for this but on the other hand, it may give me tips on what I need to focus on?

Cheers all

Matthew

Hi. Late answer, but I used that grinder with the 6910 and then upgraded to the Breville Smartgrinder. Far, far better coffees. The Sunbeam grinder was so inconsistent, the Breville much better. Wait till you see the Smartgrinder for $199 or less and snap it up.