• 1 Post By gminoz
  • 1 Post By gminoz
  • 1 Post By tristanp
  • 1 Post By Stt022

Thread: brugnetti simona top deep clean

brugnetti simona top deep clean

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys

I picked up a simona the other day secondhand, so I want to clean it up as well as I can. I've backed flushed it a lot, but still get tainted water coming through. I'm happy to look at a descale, but was wondering how that is done when this model has no water spout, so I can't drain the boiler that way.

If anyone can point me to some information on this I'd be very grateful. Doesn't seem to be much info around on this machine

Thanks!

It's a great little machine that gives me good results and no trouble. Coffeeparts.com.au has some parts for it (gaskets, shower screen, pump etc).
    Mine was filthy when I got it but some elbow grease, lots of back flushing, new group head gasket and shower screen etc brought it back to top performance. I should get it professionally serviced one day, but I've had it probably seven years (?) and it's given me little to worry about. I have no idea how old mine is, but 20 years and still going strong seems likely.

Enjoy, and put some pics up as you go.
    LeroyC likes this.

brugnetti simona top deep clean

G'day fellow Simona Top owners,

We should start a club! Or at least a Simona Top owners thread. I don't think there's many of us out there and as you say there's bugger all info online. The Simona Top Yahoo User Group has a bit of info on it, but it's not very active so you won't get any recent advice on there.
    I don't know any tricks to emptying the boiler sorry. I emptied mine when I brought it back to NZ from Sydney. I did so by removing the anti-vac valve from the top of the boiler and tipping the water out. Obviously this isn't an easy task and is probably best done at floor level, maybe even outside, with some towels to protect the machine and a helping hand if necessary. If you want to get an undiluted mix of descale solution in the boiler this is the only way really.
    The other option is to drain the water reservoir, make a concentrated mix of solution to put in there and pump it into the boiler. This is obviously a bit less accurate, but it has the benefit of getting some cleaner through the lines from the tank to the boiler. Good luck with it, let us know how you go.

Show us a pic when you get a chance. Here's mine:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439934450.543674.jpg

That is a good looking little machine...
    LeroyC likes this.

The boiler has a drain plug for descaling - it's a bit fiddly to use plus you get the opportunity to burn yourself (and make sure you unplug the power before unbolting the plug).

A nice compact machine but the one I used for a couple of years had a super fast rebound so we had to do a cooling flush before every shot (possibly the HX had a hole in it but another one I used had the same behaviour)
    LeroyC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kaanage View Post
    The boiler has a drain plug for descaling - it's a bit fiddly to use plus you get the opportunity to burn yourself (and make sure you unplug the power before unbolting the plug).

A nice compact machine but the one I used for a couple of years had a super fast rebound so we had to do a cooling flush before every shot (possibly the HX had a hole in it but another one I used had the same behaviour)
    There you go. The boiler is wrapped on mine so I missed that bung. It must be what the lump is under the insulating wrap that I can see at the back of the boiler.
    I agree that the rebound is fast, but I don't mind. It's good practice to flush between shots on any HX machine anyway and the Simona has a nice big drip tray so you don't need to be constantly emptying it due to regular cooling flush. I've been using a Rocket Evo recently and the drip tray on the Simona is much bigger than that by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrmontboy200 View Post
    That is a good looking little machine...
    Why thank you good sir.

Thanks for your responses guys. I'll drain the boiler this weekend and see what I find. LeroyC I'll have to get mine as clean as yours before I post a picture, or I'll be ashamed! Do you think that the insulating wrap is worthwhile? Do you knwo what it's wrapped in?
    Agree on the flush, it's good practice to clear old grounds from the cup before, and the drip tray is generous.
    LeroyC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gminoz View Post
    Thanks for your responses guys. I'll drain the boiler this weekend and see what I find. LeroyC I'll have to get mine as clean as yours before I post a picture, or I'll be ashamed! Do you think that the insulating wrap is worthwhile? Do you knwo what it's wrapped in?
    Agree on the flush, it's good practice to clear old grounds from the cup before, and the drip tray is generous.
    Wrapping the boiler can almost never be a bad thing, especially in a compact little machine like the Simona. The major benefit is that it will stop the water reservoir from getting ridiculously hot. It still gets warm, but I believe that without the insulation it can get seriously hot. Overall it's better for temp stability as well from what I've heard, but I couldn't say for sure. Mine's just wrapped in a heat resistant foam, but there are lots of options. There's a thread on CS somewhere about wrapping boilers, check it out.

Cheers, will do

I'll join in the family reunion. Here's mine:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440148839.262653.jpg
    Dimal and LeroyC like this.

Excellent!!

and mine
    LeroyC likes this.

oops, dropbox link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlrrwv5hf7...11101.jpg?dl=0

Not sure how old it is, s/n is ST006, scratched on by previous owner I guess
    LeroyC likes this.

Looks good.
    LeroyC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gminoz View Post
    oops, dropbox link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlrrwv5hf7...11101.jpg?dl=0

Not sure how old it is, s/n is ST006, scratched on by previous owner I guess
    Nice looking Brugnetti.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Nice looking Brugnetti.
    Thanks LeroyC. They are a solid, simple machine. The Iberital grinder seems to work well with the Simona, so I can only blame myself for bad coffee!

New and looking at a used Brugnetti Simona

I found a Brugnetti Simona used on Craigslist for $500. It looks to be in very good condition and was mostly decoration on someones countertop. I don't think its a top because it has the cup buttons in the top left of the controls. I can't seem to find any info on this model. What are the differences between this one and the top? I'm on the fence about buying it because of the lack of information online.

Thank you for your help.

It looks like this one: http://www.londonespresso.com/photo/SI_MA.JPG

(Just figured out how to edit my post)
    Last edited by Stt022; 6th December 2015 at 04:29 AM. Reason: updated photo

Hey mate,

Yeah that's the base level Simona. Here's the same pic but showing the basic specs if you haven't seen them already.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449371545.996865.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Hey mate,

Yeah that's the base level Simona. Here's the same pic but showing the basic specs if you haven't seen them already.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449371545.996865.jpg
    What would a good price be on a very lightly used unit? I can't find any references and the seller is looking to get $500 USD.

I don't know what prices these go for in the US but my TOP cost me $350AUD a few years ago (when the Aussie dollar was probably at parity with the US). Mine needed a lot of cleaning up though.
    I'd image $500 US would be a bit on the high side. That said, an HX at that price is probably hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by tristanp View Post
    I don't know what prices these go for in the US but my TOP cost me $350AUD a few years ago (when the Aussie dollar was probably at parity with the US). Mine needed a lot of cleaning up though.
    I'd image $500 US would be a bit on the high side. That said, an HX at that price is probably hard to find.
    Yeah I agree. It's hard to put a price on things and you can't always compare as it's somewhat relative to each particular situation. I bought my Simona Top DE about 18months ago for AUS$440, which at the time was about US$420. It's in pretty good nick with a couple of extra touches like an insulated boiler, new OPV set to 10bar and braided hoses. I've already upgraded the steam wand and treated some rust. So compared to mine $500 might be a bit high. But then again if it's in really good condition it's still a good price. The only other small HX you could possibly find for that price would be a NS Oscar. At the end of the day it's up to you and what you'd feel comfortable paying. My opinion is that it's fair without being a bargain.

So I ended up getting it. Luckily I talked him down on the price because the non-top version pictured above is actually a single boiler unit, not a HX as you noted above (and what I originally thought it was). The guy had no clue what type it was and I didn't know the Simona came in a single boiler version. So I may have paid a little more than I should have but the thing looks like its brand new and runs perfectly. I'm not planning on making a bunch of drinks at a time so this will work for what I need.
    tristanp likes this.

HX or not it's still a quality machine. People would happily pay that price for other single boilers so as long as you're happy with it that's the main thing. It'd be good to see a photo or two. Hope you enjoy it.

I think I have to post a few more times before I can attach photos.

hmmm must be more than 10 posts...

Since I need more posts I do have a question. Where is the best place to purchase parts. Mainly new gaskets. I'd like to change them since the machine is older.

If you can't get them locally, coffeeparts.com.au has a variety of parts for these machines.