Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rickd

Thread: Silvia Auber PID cutting out

Silvia Auber PID cutting out

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

I hope you can help me out of a dilemma that is annoying me?

I have a Silvia with Auber PID that has been running flawlessly for a couple of years. Now it has developed a habit of randomly powering off the PID and in doing so no longer heats the boiler.

Most times it works fine if I am making two coffees, but more than that it is a lottery.

I have opened it up and checked/ re terminated all connections and all appears OK.

I am at the stage where I will order the controller from Jetblack Espresso (where I purchased the kit). Before I do that though I thought I would throw it out to anyone that has seen this symptom before. Maybe my connections are still dodgy, but I don't think so.

My wife really appreciates any help/ advice.

Cheers,

Rick

G'day Rick...

Could be a bad solder joint on the PCB, a dodgy Electrolytic Capacitor, etc etc....
    If you have an electronics tech. mate who could have a look at it for you, that may lead to a happy ending but not worth the time to fix in a commercial situation...

It's definitely the PID Controller, eh and not the SSR?

Mal.

Suspect a faulty switchmode power supply, heat related failure. Probably easiest to replace, unless it's blindingly obvious when you open it up

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day Rick...

Could be a bad solder joint on the PCB, a dodgy Electrolytic Capacitor, etc etc....
    If you have an electronics tech. mate who could have a look at it for you, that may lead to a happy ending but not worth the time to fix in a commercial situation...

It's definitely the PID Controller, eh and not the SSR?

Mal.
    Thanks Mal,

I tend to think it could be within the PID controller, SSR is working fine and I think unlikely to be the cause.

I will get a new controller and see how it goes.

90% of the time it is only the two of us having a coffee so not really a major problem, just annoying.

Thanks again
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_machinist View Post
    Suspect a faulty switchmode power supply, heat related failure. Probably easiest to replace, unless it's blindingly obvious when you open it up
    I tend to agree, not easy to open up anyway.

I think replacement is the answer,

Thanks for the reply