Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gerry123

Thread: Help which machine do I go for

Help which machine do I go for

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All, Firstly thanks for the add looks like a great forum. I am after some advice after deciding to put my toe in the water and buy my first manual coffee machine, I am not out to spend a fortune however am looking for something that will make me a decent coffee in the morning. At this stage I have three in mind, the Breville BES810BSS, Sunbeam Café Series EM6910 and the Rancilio Silvia V4. Any advice you guys could provide would be great including other machines that I should be looking at. Also I have been told not to buy a machine with inbuilt grinder, your thoughts? Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mgillard View Post
    Also I have been told not to buy a machine with inbuilt grinder

Welcome
    There are pros and cons to buying an in-built but generally the advice is don't. The grinder is the most important bit really and a good one could probably last you forever. The machine won't.
    So what's your budget? Location?

[QUOTE=WantRancilio10;562272]There are pros and cons to buying an in-built but generally the advice is don't. The grinder is the most important bit really and a good one could probably last you forever. The machine won't.
    So what's your budget? Location?[/There are pros and cons to buying an in-built but generally the advice is don't. The grinder is the most important bit really and a good one could probably last you forever. The machine won't.
    So what's your budget?TE] Sounds Logical, was hoping to spend around $700 however depends on my research, based in Ballarat Victoria.

In the cup, a Silvia or Lelit PL41 are the most capable of giving you the best results but youre looking at second hand if your budget includes buying a grinder. A pre-requisite to get the best out of Silvia is a good grinder. Another slightly lesser machine you could consider is a gaggia classic.

A 6910/7000 paired with a sunbeam 0480 grinder is okay if you want to buy new. The 0480 is not as suited though with more high end machines.

I just bought a bes840 breville the infuser
    Theyre $379 from target australia
    I paired it with a matching grinder from myer on special at $129

Instead of the sunbeam EM6910 id recommend the EM7000 which is the next model up
    Theyre about $700 though alone

Im still dipping my toes atm too

Best of luck

I've just bought a EM7000 & really happy. Still tinkering with my 0480 grinder but best tip is the throw out the tamper & replace with one matched to your basket. Good luck!

Rbn
    I have had the EM6910/EM480 combination for about 3 years, bought used from my son after he had pulled in excess of 5000 shots with it.
    It has served me well, and is still going strong.
    Some minor repairs were needed because of neglect, but I knew that when I bought it, otherwise it was going to the waste bin.

I have now paired it up with VST baskets, 7g,15g, and a naked P/F (bottomless)

For the money a combo like this will do you well for a very long time..
    Took me a while to get my grinding/tamping processes where I wanted them, and they still need work.
    But the coffee is good.

But I think I will go for the EM7000 if this machine dies.

+1 for the EM7000. I dont even have the EM480 grinder, I have an EM440 grinder shimmed (got it as a present) and it works well for a good quality coffee each morning. For me fresh beans is the most important, coupled with a matched tamper to your basket - a pullman one . The Sunbeam baskets in the EM7000 are great imo dont change it unless you get the bug to try the VST. If you have a choice go the EM480
    rawill likes this.

Save for a couple more weeks and get a silvia and rocky combo. You'll be glad you did in the end.

Site Sponsor
    The Silvia and Rocky are a very decent combination. Also consider the Lelit PL41LEM and 43MMI for around the same money.

On the subject of an inbuilt grinder or "combi machine" - I don't think it's much of an issue. Some say if one part breaks you're without the other part while it's in getting fixed. OK. But decide for yourself how much of an inconvenience this will be for you. Personally, I probably wouldn't bother making coffee if my machine or grinder broke so wouldn't mind if the other half of the equipment was also in workshop. A good reason for wanting to go separate is that you don't want the particular grinder that is built in. The grinder that is in the Lelit combis is the same as the PL43MMI (concial burr with micrometric adjustment) so it's a decent grinder but if you want something bigger or different then separates are the way to go.

The benefits of a combi are clearer to me:
    1. save money
    2. save bench space
    3. cleaner (coffee drops onto the drip tray if there is overspill from the grinder rather than onto the bench)
    4. easier to transport if you like taking your equipment away with you.

When the budget is around $1,000 looking at the combi can save you money over separates (42EMI) or get you a bonus PID for a similar price (42TEMD) to separates.

charlie