Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By Matt6
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By WantRancilio10

Thread: Calling all Lelit owners for advice!

Calling all Lelit owners for advice!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys I am considering the PL41TEMD machine and have a few questions.
    Charlie from Jetblack assures me that 57.5mm stamper will fit can you verify?( I do believe him however I looked at a PL42 locally and the 57mm had no room to move and they don't have a 57.5mm to test, so I guess just confirming this)
    Do you use the Lelit tamper? Is it any good?
    Do you use the Espro tamper? Is it any good? ( I would love to get a Pullman but a waste on a 57mm)
    Does the grindenstein knock box fit under the group head? With the portafilter in?

Do you rate the machine or wish you bought the silvia?

Cheers Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt6 View Post
    Does the grindenstein knock box fit under the group head? With the portafilter in?
    Why on earth do you want to do this Matt?

Do you rate the machine or wish you bought the silvia?
    Can't imagine too many people would think that way mate.
    When I had an earlier version of the Lelit (way back when), the only direction I saw myself heading was up to an HX machine or Dual Boiler job. Anything else (bar Lever machines of course) would only be a sideways step at best or at worst, a step backwards....

Best thing you could do would be to try and get some hands on demo experience between different machines and make up your own mind from there...

Mal.
    TC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post

Can't imagine too many people would think that way mate.
    He's trying to decide which to buy - not considering a sideways move. However, as you say, we might have owned one or the other but not both, so how would we know!

Hands on is a difficult opportunity to find in Hobart

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Why on earth do you want to do this Matt?

I too am intrigued as to why one would want a knockbox to fit under the group head (would make an ordinary latte mug). Maybe there's a bench space issue? But then you wouldn't need it to fit with the portafilter locked in.
    Vinitasse likes this.

Hi guys, just to clarify, I wanted to know if anyone after buying the Lelit was disappointed and wished they had bought the silvia instead. Not a sideways move, a regretful move if that makes sense. Of course if I owned the Lelit (which I don't) I would be looking at an upgrade like you said to twin boiler or HX, not a silvia. As wantrancilio said I'm trying to decide which to buy, sorry if I didn't make that clear, I guess just looking for advice. The guys at Oomph were kind enough to give me a hands on demo of the Lelit PL42 I was considering however they don't stock the silvia and having never played with one hard to compare. As wantrancilio said hands on is difficult in Hobart, very limited choice.
    Now the knock box under the group head quandary, I was asking to determine if it would fit for storage as it is a space issue and I may have been wrong in assuming that most left their portafilter in the group when it's off. I had a laugh not a new brew method or a designer cup, sorry to disappoint. Cheers Matt
    Barry O'Speedwagon likes this.

Don't leave the pf in the grouphead. You'll compress the seal permanently and need to replace it sooner.
    I didnt know the Lelit was now locally supplied. Good to know.

Cool, my mistake. Yep Oomph in Mornington, they said they get their stock from Jetblack.

Rightio...

If I was in a position to choose either a Silvia or the Lelit, I would always opt for the Lelit as in my view, it is much better bang for buck. The question of whether a 57mm Group is inferior (or not) to a 58mm Group is also not really relevant as during the years I owned my early Lelit variant, I managed to pour some of the best espresso I've ever had and was in no way inferior to that which I produce these days, with a 58mm Group machine.

The Lelit machines are designed and built to perform to a very high level, and to keep on doing so for many, many years. I would never hesitate to recommend one of these machines to anyone at that price point...

Mal.
    kopigeek and Matt6 like this.

From what I have seen with the lelit machines is that they offer way more than a Silvia, and the Silvia isn't improving their game to match lelit. I haven't used a lelit but if the videos from jetblack espresso are anything to go by, the combi looks like it kills the Silvia.

Oomph in Mornington, they said they get their stock from Jetblack.
    Good name drop - I wonder if that makes them the nearest thing to a Tassie sponsor of this site!
    Speaking of name drops, Oomph is Roger Woolley. He makes a fine roaster for a fair to middling former Australian wicketkeeper (83/84)
    Dimal likes this.

I started my journey with a Lelit Combi that I used for years... never really lusted after a Silvia.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments.