Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TampIt

Thread: Sunbeam EM6910 leaking after replacing shower screen seal

Sunbeam EM6910 leaking after replacing shower screen seal

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My machine was starting to leak around the shower screen seal so I replaced but it is now much worse. Water and grounds pour out all over the place. I thought I might have a faulty seal so I took it out and put the old seal back in. Same result, water pours out everywhere - much worse that before I replaced the seal. Any ideas?

I'd guess that the seal is not properly seated.
    I just replaced the seal on my Expobar today and I know it requires a bit of poking and prodding to ensure I have it right.
    Although on mine, if it is not seated correctly I cannot lock the Group Handle in place.

Any chance you can take a picture of it?

Quote Originally Posted by andmac View Post
    My machine was starting to leak around the shower screen seal so I replaced but it is now much worse. Water and grounds pour out all over the place. I thought I might have a faulty seal so I took it out and put the old seal back in. Same result, water pours out everywhere - much worse that before I replaced the seal. Any ideas?
    G'day andmac

... where to start?
    The 6910 seal is a multi sectioned beast. There are two showerscreens which need to be fitted correctly or it will leak or tear. Often the first showerscreen tears the seal far too frequently because it is not seated correctly (recalls "Neanderthal technicians slowly dragging their knuckles up the steps" comment). Just running your fingers around the seal to check it is seated correctly or, even easier, actually looking at the way it is seated would prevent that SNAFU simply & effectively.

Another issue - the collar is not adjustable. Earlier 6900 / 6910s have a soft collar which wears and increases the clearances. Later ones are still prone to careless individuals who allow coffee grounds to get between the p/f and the seal. Think "grinding paste" and you can work out what happens next. When the clearances get too large the seal leaks.

Easy fixes:
    1) Replace the seal if it is torn
    2) cut out a piece of cardboard (or three) the size of the "top" of the seal. Put them into the grouphead and then put the seal in next. You have just reduced the clearances and the seal can work again.

Hope this helps

TampIt
    PS: I have never had to replace a seal or collar on any machine I bought new, not even after twenty years of heavy use... and that includes two 6910s (one 2008 and one 2010). Mind you, I always keep the group / seal area scrupulously clean...
    GreenBeanGenii and rawill like this.

Hi TampIt

I tried your easy fix and packed a couple of rings of cardboard above the seal and wah lah no more leaking.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Thanks Fatboy

I followed TampIt's advice and managed to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by andmac View Post
    Hi TampIt

I tried your easy fix and packed a couple of rings of cardboard above the seal and wah lah no more leaking.

Many thanks for your assistance.
    You are very welcome. If I came over as harsh, I get frustrated when simple maintenance procedures are not followed and the machine's reputation suffers as a result. There is no reason your 6910 will not last for many troublefree years.

Enjoy your cuppa - the rest is not relevant anyway.

TampIt

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    I get frustrated when simple maintenance procedures are not followed and the machine's reputation suffers as a result. There is no reason your 6910 will not last for many troublefree years.
    Keep this up and we'll have Sunbeam on board as a sponsor!

Quote Originally Posted by WantRancilio10 View Post
    Keep this up and we'll have Sunbeam on board as a sponsor!
    G'day WantRancilio10

No chance of that being my motive, however if it does that then Breville would have a similarly priced partner here. Sounds like a good plot to improve CS finances... I admit to standing in awe of Andy's commitment, so any extra sponsors must be a good thing for this site.

I value my independence too much to be a shill - I could give the SB designers quite a few of my 6910 / 7000 grievances, not to mention the (insert expletives of your choice) mental defectives who wrote their manuals. In the case of the latter, they do not even tell you how to remove the showerscreens - Coffee Cleaning Essential, Sesame Street chapter one, first paragraph.

Mind you, I could also furnish a (very) long list of Italian "commercial machines & grinders" whose maintenance routines are out of control because of the shitty materials they use in some of the basic areas. I feel they "do a Honda" (named and shamed by Choice many years ago in an article which concluded they could give their cars away for nothing because their outrageous spare parts and service bills would easily cover the cost).

The perfect machine and grinder for home is still a long way off I fear.

TampIt

G'day andmac

TampIt
    PS: I have never had to replace a seal or collar on any machine I bought new, not even after twenty years of heavy use... and that includes two 6910s (one 2008 and one 2010). Mind you, I always keep the group / seal area scrupulously clean...
    Hi TampIt, I'm interested how you go about keeping the group head and seal clean.

My prices is as follows. After I've made my coffee, I run water through the group and rinse the portafil under a running tap. next I wrote the group head with a chux wipe. Finally I backlash the unit. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly so I'd like to see what others are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by dimmy View Post
    Hi TampIt, I'm interested how you go about keeping the group head and seal clean.

My prices is as follows. After I've made my coffee, I run water through the group and rinse the portafil under a running tap. next I wrote the group head with a chux wipe. Finally I backlash the unit. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly so I'd like to see what others are doing.
    G'day dimmy

Back to 1970... how did I get to be so old? Using a big, high volume commercial machine, I was taught to drop all "possible to detach" metal bits (showerscreens, baskets,m p/f metal even some of the plumbing, etc. etc.) in a covered bucket of solvent each night. All non-metal bits (e.g. the p/f handles, rubber seals, o-rings etc. etc.) were thoroughly cleaned via hot water and detergent - and also left to soak overnight if there was any doubt as to cleanliness. First morning job - rinse & reassemble everything, test via a shot and then (...and only then) reverse flush it. According to teacher / guru at the time, anyone who reverse flushes a machine with existing coffee spread all through the path deserves exactly what they get. That La Cimbali had almost no replacement parts and zero "work time failures" over a fifteen year period. A four hour shift was fairly constant heavy going, and I was a lot younger then. So I would guess it did 500+ shots a day workload (it could easily be well over double that).

Luckily times have changed a lot. For either an SB7000 or 6910 my routine is similar, without the "every night" timing. There are also a (lot) less detachable parts on the SB's!

After warm up I ALWAYS do a single pre shot flush - essential as all parts of these machines are not fully up to temp when the row of idiot lights first come on. Pull the shot(s). Finish with a single post flush. After each session I drop the naked p/f complete with basket into a jug (one of my 500ml milk jugs is a perfect fit) - with just enough water to just cover the metal bits. That helps to prevent coffee grounds drying in the basket. Every 250g or so of beans I remove the showerscreens and ... drop them & the basket(s) in a small sealed jar of solvent overnight. I use a naked p/f, so the p/f stays fairly clean - it only needs an occasional wipedown. Scrub thoroughly in the morning and rinse properly before use. Repeat whole cycle until it is a habit...

Rockingham is just south of Perth's pollution belt - clean air means clean water given a little care. I am lucky enough to use pristine twice filtered rainwater here so no deposits or scale are an issue (even after an 18 months inspection / stripdown). If it built up crud, I would use white vinegar in the 7000's thorough cleaning cycle every 500g or so of beans (depends on the buildup). For the 6910, I would have to also let it sit in the machine for a while as the cleaning cycle is not as effective. Even then, it takes at least a couple of litres to clear the "wonderful" taste of vinegar out. Does wonders for subtle SO's. All the various commercial cleaners I have tried are even worse than vinegar for lingering tastes (YMMV, also, I could not possibly have tried ALL of them).

Hope this helps

TampIt

HI Tampit

What solvent are you referring to?

G'day dimmy

Luckily times have changed a lot. For either an SB7000 or 6910 my routine is similar, without the "every night" timing. There are also a (lot) less detachable parts on the SB's!

After warm up I ALWAYS do a single pre shot flush - essential as all parts of these machines are not fully up to temp when the row of idiot lights first come on. Pull the shot(s). Finish with a single post flush. After each session I drop the naked p/f complete with basket into a jug (one of my 500ml milk jugs is a perfect fit) - with just enough water to just cover the metal bits. That helps to prevent coffee grounds drying in the basket. Every 250g or so of beans I remove the showerscreens and ... drop them & the basket(s) in a small sealed jar of solvent overnight. I use a naked p/f, so the p/f stays fairly clean - it only needs an occasional wipedown. Scrub thoroughly in the morning and rinse properly before use. Repeat whole cycle until it is a habit...

Hope this helps

TampIt
    Great information. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
    HI Tampit

What solvent are you referring to?
    If you can be bothered reading Journeyman's "my new machine" you can check out the flames and hysteria when I mentioned it last time. It is also the standard for cleaning laminex and great for dissolving lungs (especially children's)... Just don't breathe too much of it. It is still the only solvent I know for removing coffee or ingrained milk after all else (even ultrasound baths!) has failed.

TampIt.