Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBeanGenii
  • 4 Post By Andy
  • 2 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 2 Post By coffeechris
  • 2 Post By Andy
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Best bang for the buck Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine 2015? (budget $600 - $800)

Best bang for the buck Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine 2015? (budget $600 - $800)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Yesterday, I saw the Breville Infuser for sale at Myer for $400(was $550) and the sale ends on 18th of October. I’ve been wanting to buy a Semi-automatic Espresso machine for a while because I want to know how much better the black coffee tastes on it compared to the Aeropress that I’m currently using to make my black coffee. My budget is around $600, I could go a little higher if needed but I'd prefer to stay close to $600.

The Rancilio Silvia V4 has more positive reviews on productreview.com.au than the Breville Infuser but they cost $779 at newcoffeeitalia.com.au which is over $350 more than the Breville Infuser that's on sale right now. And after watching the Rancilio Silvia vs. Breville Infuser YouTube video, they seem to be about the same quality.

I've also looked at lever/manual espresso mahines but they are also pretty expensive with a starting price of $800 - $900. But if it makes a superior cup of black coffee than the traditional Semi-automatic espresso machines, than I might consider it. What are your guys opinions of manual/lever espresso machines? Are they worth the hassle and high price for making a good cup of black coffee?

The Little Guy Stove top Espresso Maker is also interesting and I might consider it if it makes superior black coffee than the traditional Semi-automatic espresso machines. But after watching the Youtube video of it in action, it seems to take a really long time just to make a single cup of black coffee.

I don't need a Grinder since I already have the Breville Smart Grinder BCG800. I also don't need a steam wand since I only drink black coffee, but almost all espresso machines comes with it anyway.

So what's the best bang for the buck espresso machine primarily for making black coffee in 2015?

Last edited by Heinstar; 27th September 2015 at 11:46 AM.

To ensure correct warranty, why not consider using any of the site's Sponsors?

In Sydney, there are Sponsors that offer the Rancilio with that little bit extra. Sponsors are in other states as well.

What is that you ask? After sales service and a kind of personal interest in allowing you the customer have that great coffee you want.
    I use my brother's Silva to make simply delicious short blacks. The local machine does not quite do the same.....
    Andy and Dimal like this.

Blog Entries
    Best bang for buck is the Behmor Brazen @ $249 delivered!
    CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Other Stuff - Behmor Brazen Plus - Coffee Brewer

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinstar View Post

I don't need a Grinder since I already have the Breville Smart Grinder BCG800. I also don't need a steam wand since I only drink black coffee, but almost all espresso machines comes with it anyway.

So what's the best bang for the buck espresso machine primarily for making black coffee in 2015?

[/FONT]
    Given this, I'd consider a Bacchi stovetop (if you have either gas / halogen stove). Not cheap ($500-$600) for a stovetop machine, but the espresso quality is awesome.

If it doesn't need to be espresso, then the Brazen is the go.
    GreenBeanGenii and LeroyC like this.

Can confirm out of all the black coffee makers (filter coffee) I have had and have in my collection. The Brazen is a clear winner based on not only price but ability to adjust and perfect the coffee to suit what you are after. I must admit I have not tried the Breville infuser and the ones i'm talking about make filter coffee.
    Chris
    Dimal and LeroyC like this.

So it sounds like I don't really need an Espresso machine to make a great cup of black coffee. I'm not really into filtered coffee. I'm using a Able Fine Disk for my Aeropress to make my black coffee because I prefer to keep all of the coffee oil/crema and the full-bodied taste. If I was to use a Drip/Pour Over coffee maker, I'd have to use the ultramesh filter with it. Perhaps something like an Able Kone Filter with a Chemex since I already have the BonaVita variable temperature gooseneck kettle.

I still want to know what Long black tastes like using the dark roast coffee blends that I regularly use with some sort of Espresso maker. So I'm probably going to get both Breville Infuser and Able Kone Filter to see which one produces better tasting black coffee.
    Last edited by Heinstar; 27th September 2015 at 05:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Everyone I know only uses the gold mesh basket, works a treat and "big body" is nearly always the first descriptor.
    GreenBeanGenii and LeroyC like this.

Must say have always prefered paper filters however when i got this there was no need. The gold filter works well. The grind can be played with a bit in terms of a little finer to achieve what tasye you desire.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinstar View Post
    So it sounds like I don't really need an Espresso machine to make a great cup of black coffee. I'm not really into filtered coffee. I'm using a Able Fine Disk for my Aeropress to make my black coffee because I want to keep all of the coffee oil/crema and the full-bodied taste. If I was to use a Drip/Pour Over coffee maker, I'd have to use the ultramesh filter with it. Perhaps something like an Able Kone Filter with a Chemex since I already have the BonaVita variable temperature gooseneck kettle.

I still want to know what Long black tastes like using the dark roast coffee blends that I regularly use with some sort of Espresso maker. So I'm probably going to get both Breville Infuser and Able Kone Filter to see which one produces better tasting black coffee.
    I must say, Heinstar, I'm at a loss as to how you arrived at that conclusion from the discussion in this thread

The Kone idea makes sense.
    LeroyC likes this.

Best bang for the buck Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine 2015? (budget $600 - $...

Breville Infuser for black coffee? No. Great little machine for what it is, but not even close to a Silvia in terms of quality, it's just easier to use that's all. A Rancilio Silvia is capable of producing outstanding espresso, but may not pair that well with a Breville grinder. The other options mentioned sound much better.
    Another home espresso machine option would be a Gaggia Classic. A lot more user friendly than a Silvia, will be more foregiving paired with a Breville grinder and is capable of producing excellent black coffee.
    Last edited by LeroyC; 27th September 2015 at 07:14 PM.
    Dimal likes this.

joe
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Breville Infuser for black coffee? No. Great little machine for what it is, but not even close to a Silvia in terms of quality, it's just easier to use that's all. A Rancilio Silvia is capable of producing outstanding espresso, but may not pair that well with a Breville grinder. You're other options sound much better. Another home espresso machine option would be a Gaggia Classic. A lot more user friendly than a Silvia, will be more foregiving paired with a Breville grinder and is capable of producing excellent black coffee.
    I agree with LeroyC.
    For the money, a Gaggia Classic is most probably the go.

Consider second hand and get a seriously good shot machine http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...t-710-neg.html - yes, I'm obviously biased but I'm sure others would agree...

Nothing wrong with the Breville grinder provided it's working properly.
    Last edited by WantRancilio10; 27th September 2015 at 06:41 PM.