Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gonzob

Thread: Dripping Silvia

Dripping Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all.

I don't use the steam wand on Silvia much, but when I do, after the machine cools down and I turn it on again, the wand drips. I tighten the knob, and it's always loose a bit, even though I'm sure I tighten it after I finish steaming. I assume the seals are gone, and I'm waiting for the new ones to arrive.

Any thoughts about what else it might be?

Gonzo

Gonzo,
    Hello again,all steam wands will and do eventually leak/drip.
    As the sealing washers compress over and over again,all elasticity is eventually lost,even ceramic sealing found in conventional plumbing do fail albeit longer life.
    Your replacement seals will sort out the leak/drip,always worth confirming the sealing face of the spindle is in good condition as well (usually last beyond the life of the machine).
    Replacement washers are such an economical cost negating the more expensive alternative.
    I find it a good "bonding exercise" to open up your favorite machine,to keep it ticking over!
    cheers,
    Mick

My Silvia does the same thing. I put it down to that during steaming the seals expand due to the heat, then when the machine cools the seals contracts and loosens up a bit.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Poor Silvia.....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Poor Silvia.....
    Yes, she's getting on in years a bit... but, good news! Together we have overcome her dribbling problem!

A couple of o-rings and a seal and now she's as good as new. Of course, as with any Italian lady, the techniques required to get under her skirts were onerous. Getting the steam valve out needed a strip down to her underwear.

Also, even though the valve has a nominal "hex" body, because of the protrusion for the wand, there's no-where to get a spanner on to disassemble the valve. I ended up mounting it in a vyse, but it scored the body a bit. Not good engineering.

Anyway it's done.

Gonzo
    sprezzatura likes this.

Gonzo,
    Good to hear your Rancillio is happily functioning again,Im often having to grasp similar "soft metal" components ,using a engineers vice and found timber (wooden) facing's (pine ply is OK also) ideal as no marking/damage occur however,vice tension must be carefully applied until components are securely held,works fine for me anyway.
    Cheers,
    Mick.