Results 1 to 26 of 26
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 4 Post By TC
  • 4 Post By chokkidog
  • 3 Post By WantRancilio10
  • 3 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: BES870 BES920 EM6910 EM7000 Choice Magazine rankings

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39

    BES870 BES920 EM6910 EM7000 Choice Magazine rankings

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    As per the thread title Choice Magazine ranked these machine as follows (apologies for the formatting).

    Overall Taste Ease of use Milk frothing Temp consistency
    BES870 82% 85% 78% 80% 70%
    BES920 81% 80% 82% 80% 100%
    EM6910 80% 80% 77% 80% 100%
    EM7000 78% 75% 80% 80% 90%

    Please provide feedback as you see fit, do these scores bear any resemblance to members experience? Basically I had decided to buy a BES920 but I'm doing one last round of research for completeness.

    Also what size filters do each of these machines use, does filter size influence taste? Choice mentions that the EM7000 has a commercial size filter basket, is this an important feature?

  2. #2
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by byronator View Post
    As per the thread title Choice Magazine ranked these machine as follows (apologies for the formatting).

    Overall Taste Ease of use Milk frothing Temp consistency
    BES870 82% 85% 78% 80% 70%
    BES920 81% 80% 82% 80% 100%
    EM6910 80% 80% 77% 80% 100%
    EM7000 78% 75% 80% 80% 90%

    Please provide feedback as you see fit, do these scores bear any resemblance to members experience? Basically I had decided to buy a BES920 but I'm doing one last round of research for completeness.

    Also what size filters do each of these machines use, does filter size influence taste? Choice mentions that the EM7000 has a commercial size filter basket, is this an important feature?
    How many machines of each particular model did they test? If they only tested one machine of each type then you can discount at least some of the results straight away. The only one of the four that doesn't have a 58mm PF is the BES870. Others are probably better placed to comment here, but I know that there are plenty of members that are very happy with their EM6910s and BES920s, whereas the BES870 usually sees people wanting to upgrade sooner rather than later and I believe the EM700 has some new design features that aren't that popular with the techs (is that right noidle?).
    Dimal likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    The only one of the four that doesn't have a 58mm PF is the BES870. Others are probably better placed to comment here, but I know that there are plenty of members that are very happy with their EM6910s and BES920s, whereas the BES870 usually sees people wanting to upgrade sooner rather than later and I believe the EM700 has some new design features that aren't that popular with the techs (is that right noidle?).
    Your comments make sense to me, more so than the choice scores! There is nothing on the Choice review page that indicates value for money is a criteria, they're saying outright that the BES870 makes better tasting coffee than the BES920 which I find hard to believe.

  4. #4
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Always best to leave choice to evaluating toasters and kettles.
    Dimal, dolmar, saroadie and 1 others like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Always best to leave choice to evaluating toasters and kettles.
    .......and even then. ;-D

    but seriously, in the taste test all machines scored within 4 x 1/100ths of each other!!!

    Must have some seriously good coffee tasters down there at Choice.

    Load of bollocks.
    Last edited by chokkidog; 14th October 2015 at 07:26 PM.
    Dimal, TC, Vinitasse and 1 others like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    346
    I'm a member of choice. I don't recall reading anything coffee related useful.

    Forums can be a great place for groupthink to thrive. But 'snobs membership is broad and deep enough to be pretty certain that the peer-reviewed assessments here are more reliable. The choice rankings defy everything I've read on the forum about those machines.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by WantRancilio10 View Post
    I'm a member of choice. I don't recall reading anything coffee related useful.

    The choice rankings defy everything I've read on the forum about those machines.
    Well said.

    Yet another biased report (imho) of a topic. To boot, their new format makes life too hard to dissect a word easily. I have also noticed less users comments. They might be like me and just disenchanted with the company.

  8. #8
    Senior Member noidle22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    1,170
    Their temperature stability measurements were probably a milk thermometer into a cold cup with a shot poured onto it. Useless. I doubt they have a scace available.

    The BES920 is the best and the other 3 are more or less the same in this regard. The other 3 use PID controlled thermocoils which all perform basically the same. I think the Sunbeam's would have an advantage over the 870 simply because of the increased thermal mass of their group head systems.

    Personally: 920>7000>6910>870

    Why did all 4 have the same milk frothing score? The 920 is the easiest and best, the EM7000 is more powerful than the EM6910 but the temperature sensor is a gimmick and the 870 uses the brew thermocoil to steam but does do a very good job of it.

    Personally: 920>7000>6910>870

    Overall taste is subjective and can have no real quantifiable measurement. Read other members experiences with each machine as a guide.

    Personally (contrary to what I just said) I would go 920>870>7000>6910 (no OPV on the Sunbeam's)

    Ease of use? They're machines with buttons and dials, it can't really be difficult.
    I think the Breville's may have an advantage as they have instructions clearly printed on the water tank in regards to changing the charcoal filter and the cleaning cycle is prompted and is easier to do than the Sunbeam's.
    Programming is more or less the same across the 4 and steam/hot water functions are simple.

    Personally: 920>870>7000>6910

    The 58mm baskets mean you can fit more coffee in and have a broader choice of tampers and filter baskets. The 870 has a 54mm basket and there are basically no aftermarket tampers or baskets for it.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39
    Thanks noidle22, great information, you've confirmed my original decision. Although it seems that the BES920 is on the way out, The Good Guys and JB have stopped selling it and one online seller had it flagged as discontinued.

    I remember reading a review of several home espresso machines 2 or 3 years ago performed by a few professional baristas. The machines ranged from very cheap manual machines to $3000 fully automatics. The verdict was that the BES900 was clearly the best and one of the baristas said the coffee produced was as good as a commercial machine. Ever since that review I've been aiming to upgrade to a BES900, that is until the BES920 came out.

  10. #10
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    I just received a phone call from them.

    They're interested in purchasing some gear (I won't steal their thunder) for their next round of "evaluations" by their team of "experts in coffee".

    Don't think my suggestion that they can do a whole heap better went down all that well...
    Lukemc likes this.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5
    Hi - I am looking at choosing between the 870 and the 6910 - I can get the 870 for $610 (from JB - lowest haggle price) and the 6910 for $549 (TGG - maybe a bit cheaper after haggling) - I only drink a couple of cups of flat white a day so which would be better for me (previously had a capsule machine) - Thanks

  12. #12
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowhornet View Post
    Hi - I am looking at choosing between the 870 and the 6910 - I can get the 870 for $610 (from JB - lowest haggle price) and the 6910 for $549 (TGG - maybe a bit cheaper after haggling) - I only drink a couple of cups of flat white a day so which would be better for me (previously had a capsule machine) - Thanks
    Unless there's a real compelling reason get the 870 due to it having an inbuilt grinder I would go for the 6910 every time. Just make sure you partner it with a half decent grinder, something like a Sunbeam EM0480 or either the Breville Smart Grinder or Dose Control at the least.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5
    Thanks - the Sunbeam comes with a Grinder included (looks like it is a EM0480) - been trying to justify the price for a BES920 but can't justify the price for the amount of coffee I drink.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Unless there's a real compelling reason get the 870 due to it having an inbuilt grinder I would go for the 6910 every time. Just make sure you partner it with a half decent grinder, something like a Sunbeam EM0480 or either the Breville Smart Grinder or Dose Control at the least.
    +1
    compelling reason - eg bench space is an issue.
    if the 870 machine or grinder broke (outside warranty) would you bother to get it fixed? If not, you're starting from scratch. If you want to upgrade the machine or grinder, you would need to replace both.

  15. #15
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowhornet View Post
    Thanks - the Sunbeam comes with a Grinder included (looks like it is a EM0480) - been trying to justify the price for a BES920 but can't justify the price for the amount of coffee I drink.
    Many people have started with that very combo and had years of happy service from it. Geez I'm even more than satisfied with my little Sunbeam EM4820 at work, so I'm sure you'll be quite happy. Just make sure you get some shims with the grinder as this is the only thing that might need to be done to get those two working well together.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5
    Cheers - any particular place to get the shims (or just ebay) ?

  17. #17
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    461
    Yellowhornet, are you interested in secondhand?

    6910's go for around $200-400 and there's a red bes900 on gumtree (Perth) that's been on there for ages at $700 but he's just come down to $650. Still too pricey in my view but if you got it for around $500-$600 depending on condition that would be ok.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5
    Prob wouldn't go for s/h on a Breville and shipping from Perth to Brisbane would also be a PITA not being able to see the machine in operation first

  19. #19
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowhornet View Post
    Cheers - any particular place to get the shims (or just ebay) ?
    The grinder should have at least one fitted already and it may even be supplied with a couple of spares. If it doesn't and you can't get it grinding fine enough call Sunbeam and they'll hopefully send some to you free of charge once you've provided proof of purchase. It's probably not a bad idea to have a couple anyway. Failing that they have been available on eBay in the past, that's where I got them from.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney North Shore
    Posts
    1,326
    There was a time that both Breville and Sunbeam would post out shims for their grinders at no cost. Give them a phone call.

    Barry

  21. #21
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    461
    Sunbeam still do as of one week ago. If you want it asap some service centres provide them for free though I did have one try and slug me $11 for it.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39
    I ordered a BES920 from The Good Guys eBay shop and the store allocated to fulfill my order has run out of stock and offered the brand new replacement model instead, which I accepted. I notice that Breville are now listing a BEP920 which must be what I am getting. Anybody know what Breville has changed from the BES920?

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39
    Oops not sure if anything is changed on the Breville website but the person who spoke to me did tell me it's a new model so I'm a bit confused.

  24. #24
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    461
    Nothing. I think the "P" is just Breville's designation for a seperate grinder included with the coffee machine.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39
    Previously I was getting supplied with the BES920 and the smart grinder separately now I'm going to be supplied with the BEP920 package, only difference is that it comes in the one box. I think that Breville may cease offering the BES920 stand alone, at least that's my take on what is changing.

  26. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5
    Thanks everyone for your help - I purchased a PU6910 and EM0440 today from David Jones - they price matched with Rertravision (no shop near me) for $498 so think I got a very good bargain



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •