Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Xanthine
  • 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 1 Post By DaveD

Thread: Nemox Napolitana info sought

Nemox Napolitana info sought

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am seeking info on the Nemox Napolitana as I have been offered a 3yo one for $150 and see it as an opportunity to 'play' with something other than a Sunbeam 6910.
    The problem is that there is very little info on this online, and what I have found is confusing because of the variety of 'Napolitana' machines available under various brand names and models.
    I have not had a chance to look at this machine yet and the owner is not familiar with any of it's technical details.
    I know that it is a single boiler combi machine but am not even sure if there is a three way valve on this model.
    Any comments on this machine would be greatly appreciated to help me make the decision of whether or not to purchase it.
    Trev
    LeroyC likes this.

Have a look at this info from Greg Pullman. The Pullman Tamper | Imat / Quaha Tech Tips

A Quaha Napoletana sold recently for $350 in the for sale section, so it sounds like you have a good deal going.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Have a look at this info from Greg Pullman. The Pullman Tamper | Imat / Quaha Tech Tips

A Quaha Napoletana sold recently for $350 in the for sale section, so it sounds like you have a good deal going.
    The Nemox Napoletana is nothing like the Quaha Napoletana, which is what the OP was referring to when they mentioned the confusing model names. The top level combi machines in this range are the Quaha/Imat Napoletana, the Nemox Caffe Del Opera and the Lelit Combi. The are all very much the same machine with a 57mm commercial group, 3-way valve and Lux style conical burr grinder. They are possibly still making some in the old Nemox factory (Imat and Lelit?), but each brand has slightly different specs. The Nemox Napoletana is basically the same as a Saeco Via Venezia Combi. It has the smaller 53mm (or 54mm?) group, 180mm stainless boiler, and NO 3-way. The portafilter may or may not be pressurised, I can't remember, but that would be the only real difference with the Saeco other than presentation. They're probably not a bad little machine, but I'd take a Breville BES860 over one I reckon.
    Xanthine likes this.

Ah, didn't realize that! My bad.........
    LeroyC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Ah, didn't realize that! My bad.........
    Easy mistake to make and I think more than a few people have been caught out by it.

Red face

I have played with a few of these models (IMAT, NEMOX, Quaha and Mokita) for me (work and home) and my family; and I have to say personally that the Nemox models are the cheapest built of all.

For the following reasons in the examples I have seen:
    -The are mostly stainless steel externally (sometimes they come in black painted steel), but have a galvanised plate to hold the boiler and pump that rusts.
    -If a stainless steel model, the steel is of a lower grade:
    --Not highly polished
    --Not austenitic (not much chromium in the stainless steel and it is magnetic)
    --possibly thinner, but not sure.
    -The over pressure valve is a plastic pump bleeder type.
    -Weird model name that differs from most of the other brands.
    -Smaller water tanks, but easier to remove.

Lots of people like the look of the Nemox models, but it is subjective.

IMAT (without 3-way valve) and Mokita (with 3-way valve) models seem to me the best built to me with the best stainless steels and quality brass internals.
    Quaha have good internals like above, but have cheaper stainless steel exterior that is non-austenetic (still better than Nemox).

I haven't looked at the internals of the newer Lelit so cannot comment on it.

Don't get me wrong, I use a Nemox Dell Opera for work, but I have painted the rusting galvanised plate holding the boiler and upgraded the over pressure valve to a large brass valve from an old Gaggia. Makes the same great tasting coffee as the other models

Thanks to all who replied so promptly to my request for info.
    I was hoping it would be one of the more 'substantial' Italian single boiler machines which I could ultimately substitute for my 'spare' 6910 (well, one of them!) to see for myself what temperature surfing and PIDing was all about as well as presenting my barista (wife) with some new challenges, but this one does not sound like it will quite fit the bill. Also, I tended to be put off by it being a combi machine since I already have a K3 grinder which I am more than happy with. Maybe upgrade-itis is starting to bite! - better have a nice coffee to calm it.
    Trev