Thread: Request for some tips to a new BES870 owner

Request for some tips to a new BES870 owner

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello Everyone,

Just recently I became a new proud owner of Breville BES870 coffee machine. Thanks to the other posts on this forum, I think that I went through all the initial problems in under a few hours, covering topics like:
    - use of stale beans (could never get the pressure gauge to exit pre-infusion range)
    - tampering force (the shaving blade provided with the device kept taking off too much grind, resulting in fast brew)
    - leaving the PF in the group head for too long with the grind, giving a bitter-sweat flavor to the brew

Since 2 days ago, I have started using it with a freshly opened pack of Vittoria Organic roasted beans and have driven myself into a corner where I get (kinda) proper shots only under the following conditions:
    - Use single-walled single cup basket, AND
    - grind the beans with grinder setting ~3 (out of 18 I guess), AND
    - brew immediately, otherwise the flavor is off.

I am completely unable to get the pressure gauge to reach espresso range if I use 2 cup basket under above conditions. Moreover, when using a single cup basket I still get rather short time of brew (under default settings the device was delivered with, 1 cup program runs for ~12 seconds at best, out of which for 4 seconds nothing happens, then for 4 seconds I get a small stream of really dark liquid and then for 4 seconds I get light-brownish kinda viscous pour).

Could somebody based on their own experience let me know, if this is still all caused by me using beans from Coles (already ordered freshly roasted ones, thanks BeanBay!), or are there any other common mistakes with the technique I am applying, which might end up with the aforementioned problems?

Kind regards,
    Matt

Request for some tips to a new BES870 owner

I'm going to guess that once you use the beanbay beans your problems will go away as the Coles beans will be stale.

I don't have an 870 but I wouldn't be able to get a decent pour out of supermarket bought beans (unless they have a roasted on date) on either of my machines.

Always weigh your beans out, as they will stale very quickly in the hopper due to the heat.
    18 grams for the double basket, if you haven't got scales yet a slightly rounded basket of beans is near enough 18 grams. Forget about the single basket it's pita to get right.

I've had my BES870 for a few days now. Have made numerous cups trying to get the pressure right with the Vittoria beans in the single wall 2 cup filter basket for whole beans. Today I decided to try the the dual wall filter basket for the preground coffee and it works perfectly on same settings as the single wall single cup filter. The dual wall filter baskets have only 1 very small hole on the base putter wall, which gives pressure in the espresso range.

Quote Originally Posted by Apaw View Post
    I've had my BES870 for a few days now. Have made numerous cups trying to get the pressure right with the Vittoria beans in the single wall 2 cup filter basket for whole beans. Today I decided to try the the dual wall filter basket for the preground coffee and it works perfectly on same settings as the single wall single cup filter. The dual wall filter baskets have only 1 very small hole on the base putter wall, which gives pressure in the espresso range.
    All of which suggests that your Vittoria beans are old, stale, tired and probably better off in the bin than in your cuppa

Quote Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Since 2 days ago, I have started using it with a freshly opened pack of Vittoria Organic roasted beans and have driven myself into a corner where I get (kinda) proper shots only under the following conditions:
    - Use single-walled single cup basket, AND
    - grind the beans with grinder setting ~3 (out of 18 I guess), AND
    - brew immediately, otherwise the flavor is off.
    I found I was not tamping with nearly enough pressure. Since I increased the pressure my shots have been perfect when using newly opened Vittoria beans, grind setting 3 and the 2 cup single walled basket.