• 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By sprezzatura
  • 2 Post By KJM
  • 1 Post By KJM

Thread: Leaking NS Oscar

KJM

Leaking NS Oscar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This machine has not been used for quite a while, and I discovered the pressurestat was not working. So I have a new pressurestat and decided to 'tidy it up a bit' internally. (It is modified - anti-vac valve, flow restricting jets in the group, OPV etc..) Which I did, and turned it on....

I have a problem with water leakage from the push fit fittings that hold the teflon tube. I think almost ALL of them leak!! I have new tube, and thought I'd just replace the tube. Which I have done, but they continue to leak. Anyone have any bright ideas as to how to fix this? I assume it is some level of dirt in there, but it all looks perfectly clean to me (I removed a few teflon shavings, but it does look clean!). I can see how the thing is assembled, but I don't have a suitable (jewelery sized) pin spanner to unscrew the bit at the end to take the fitting apart. It looks like there is some sort of O-ring or something in the bottom... Given the water everywhere, I'm suspicious of something either aging (O-ring) or corrosion (sitting there for 18months unloved...) since it looks like multiple simultaneous failures..

Anyone with any ideas?

Cheers
    /Kevin

Any photos of the offending fittings mate?

Mal.
    GreenBeanGenii likes this.

That manifold assembly is full of o rings - five if memory serves - the press fittings can wear out over time, especially if they're brass gas-style ferrules.

The entire assembly is called a 1/4" double fitting. Part number 07300363 - ask one of our sponsors if this part is available as you may need a new one if the press fittings are worn out.
    GreenBeanGenii likes this.

Wonderful! The diagnosticans of CS on board to give aid.

KJM
    Thanks to all.. @sprezzatura - one of the press fit fittings on that part leaks, I'm not after the whole thing, I'm trying to fix the teflon to brass joins. I note that the NS part you quoted seems to have a completely different style of fitting on it Which might say a lot about the durability of the originals. The actual manifold is dead simple to take apart and has two O-rings, both of which I've replaced from my O-ring tins

I guess I'll need to source some 1/8BSP to teflon compression fittings and just replace the whole lot. Mine is leaking from one of the three on the manifold, one on the HX fill and I suspect the one underneath on the pump, but I've not double checked that. The new fittings they use look like a simple compression/flare with a brass olive in it, so they'll be really simple.

I'm used to seeing the push fit things on airlines and the like, and they seem to work well there. When I get these off, I will take them apart and see why they've decided to not seal anymore

Thanks to all for the assistance!

Mal - the fittings leaking are the ones the pipe goes into in this Youtube vid, but that machine has a leak from the O-ring on the end of the manifold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGWDjo1-9o

Cheers
    /Kevin
    Dimal and sprezzatura like this.

Gas olive ferrules are inexpensive - your local BBQ or gas cylinder shop will have them. If you're near a Pirtek they'll have NSP/BSB goodies galore!

KJM
    Ah! Excellent thought... I also thought about air fittings, but the gas ones are really good... Stupid me not thinking of those! Beer debt to you!

/Kevin
    sprezzatura likes this.