Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MrFreddofrog
  • 2 Post By TampIt
  • 1 Post By TampIt
  • 1 Post By TampIt

Thread: Regret buying an EM7000 from Sunbeam? i do

Regret buying an EM7000 from Sunbeam? i do

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Now they have made me angry. Sunbeams EM7000 - my review. machine is Always breaking down. Taken it 3 times to be repaired and now it has failed for the 4th time, Sunbeam says it is out of warranty. We asked for a new machine the first time and each time after that. After losing the machine for 3 weeks at a time while repairs were being done and then having to deliver it to the closest service agent after driving an hour to Nowra, from Wollongong, picking it up as well. Time wasting while warranty dies. Do not regret using Sunbeam by not buying their rubbish. The machine also sounds like a truck when you make a coffee. If any one is asleep in the house, they wont be for long. Product sucks as much as the service (or lack of it).

That sucks. Jump onto your state's consumer protection website or just call them to lodge a formal complaint. It's pretty easy to do though it can be a protracted process. Assuming you haven't bought it at auction where you essentially have no consumer protection rights, a normal retail purchase (even "Buy Now" on ebay) will mean you have quite extensive legislated rights that often far exceed companies warranties.

It will be a case of what is the expected life of a coffee machine at the price you paid. eg a $3000 coffee machine should last longer than a $50 one bought in Coles.
    KizZ84 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeamnogood View Post
    Now they have made me angry. Sunbeams EM7000 - my review. machine is Always breaking down. Taken it 3 times to be repaired and now it has failed for the 4th time, Sunbeam says it is out of warranty. We asked for a new machine the first time and each time after that. After losing the machine for 3 weeks at a time while repairs were being done and then having to deliver it to the closest service agent after driving an hour to Nowra, from Wollongong, picking it up as well. Time wasting while warranty dies. Do not regret using Sunbeam by not buying their rubbish. The machine also sounds like a truck when you make a coffee. If any one is asleep in the house, they wont be for long. Product sucks as much as the service (or lack of it).
    Mate I have had one of these machines for well over 18 months now. I have not had an issue with it. It is very quite and does not sound like a truck unlike my previous one the 6910 sunbeam. Which was a good machine apart from the noise. I suggest you call them again and threaten an action in small claims. You will find that with the history of issues you have had (assuming you have kept all the communication) then you should get a replacement machine.

Not truly a review though.

Not a word on the reasons for the non functioning and interaction between Sunbeam & consumer.

The review needs more meat, imho.

IMO just a troll. Very few 7000's break and no known faults unless you count those who believe routine maintenance should be done under warranty.

... and no, 7000's do not sound like a truck - they are one of the quietest domestic espresso machines out there (try my La Pav 2 group - although that sounds more like a jet than a truck).

TampIt
    PS - If it is genuinely faulty, I concur with the posters who said complain to Small Claims.
    GreenBeanGenii and rawill like this.

No idea of it's a proper review or not but just for info I had to return not one but two 7000's last year to hardly normal that I bought for my parents. Both leaked constantly from the steam wand. Got my money back in the end and purchased a different machine. It does happen. They were both very quiet I have to admit!!

Just about any machine, particularly those with a vibratory pump, that has its water canister butting hard up against things it's not meant to (which is easily fixed) is liable to scream

Rbn
    For every dodgy product, no matter what brand, there will be many many more that do not give trouble.

My early EM6910, (round button on the drip tray) must be close to 8000+ shots.
    I have replaced the steam thermobloc, 2 thermal fuses, and one magnetic low water level sensor.

I am sure not complaining about that.

My EM6910 rescued from hard waste and restored by me is still going strong and the shot quality is superb for a domestic machine. The milk quality obviouy is the weak point with this machine especially if you want to make more than one coffee at a time - but that's OK, cause patience is a virtue, and the coffee still tastes great time and time again !

I posted here over a year ago about the positive experience upgrading to a EM7000 was, and still say the same 18 months on.
    My boss also bought one for our office, everyone's happy, easy to use, quick to brew....

Quote Originally Posted by askthecoffeeguy View Post
    My EM6910 rescued from hard waste and restored by me is still going strong and the shot quality is superb for a domestic machine. The milk quality obviouy is the weak point with this machine especially if you want to make more than one coffee at a time - but that's OK, cause patience is a virtue, and the coffee still tastes great time and time again !
    G'day askthecoffeeguy

When properly cleaned, every 6910 will froth the milk in a similar time to a normal coffee shot. Actually, a bit less - about 20 seconds for a 100ml milk / 300ml jug, and a bit more - about 35 seconds for a 200ml milk / 600 ml jug (want some coffee in your milk sir?).

Almost every 6910 I have encountered needs a major clean of the milk wand. The manual recommends that you do not clean it at all! Needless to say, I disagree... however if there is any warranty involved, please ignore my personal method below.

Personally, I use white vinegar (from the "Sunbeam Manual strength" for the milk thermo to double that for the coffee thermo). The worst machines need a ten+ minute soak in the milk thermo section, followed by around 500ml of immediate flushing (watch the brown stuff come out if it is really bad...). They then need to have a little "dry steam run" into a large "non tasting jug or bowl (I use stainless)" with a lid. Wait until the steam condenses - if you can taste anything untoward clean it again (and again... sometimes) until the only thing you can taste is vinegar. Eventually you can do a final flush until even the vinegar taste is gone and "Hey Presto" the milk process is up to speed and good quality.

Enjoy your cuppa (with decent milk)

TampIt
    nickwalt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    G'day askthecoffeeguy

When properly cleaned, every 6910 will froth the milk in a similar time to a normal coffee shot. Actually, a bit less - about 20 seconds for a 100ml milk / 300ml jug, and a bit more - about 35 seconds for a 200ml milk / 600 ml jug (want some coffee in your milk sir?).

Almost every 6910 I have encountered needs a major clean of the milk wand. The manual recommends that you do not clean it at all! Needless to say, I disagree... however if there is any warranty involved, please ignore my personal method below.

Personally, I use white vinegar (from the "Sunbeam Manual strength" for the milk thermo to double that for the coffee thermo). The worst machines need a ten+ minute soak in the milk thermo section, followed by around 500ml of immediate flushing (watch the brown stuff come out if it is really bad...). They then need to have a little "dry steam run" into a large "non tasting jug or bowl (I use stainless)" with a lid. Wait until the steam condenses - if you can taste anything untoward clean it again (and again... sometimes) until the only thing you can taste is vinegar. Eventually you can do a final flush until even the vinegar taste is gone and "Hey Presto" the milk process is up to speed and good quality.

Enjoy your cuppa (with decent milk)

TampIt
    TampIt - a bit of advice if you don't mind. I've got an EM6910 steam arm retro fitted to my Italian HX machine. It's done the job for me since I fitted it, but I guess it could do with a clean. I've actually just bought an EM5900 wand (which is essentially the same) as it has a proper fitting on it, something I've lacked since fitting the first wand. I can see a bit of build up in the end of the wand I've just bought so I guess I should clean them both then use the best one. The only problem is that my machine isn't capable of flushing water through the steam wand. Does this mean I shouldn't use vinegar for cleaning as I'll never get rid of the smell and taste? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    TampIt - a bit of advice if you don't mind. I've got an EM6910 steam arm retro fitted to my Italian HX machine. It's done the job for me since I fitted it, but I guess it could do with a clean. I've actually just bought an EM5900 wand (which is essentially the same) as it has a proper fitting on it, something I've lacked since fitting the first wand. I can see a bit of build up in the end of the wand I've just bought so I guess I should clean them both then use the best one. The only problem is that my machine isn't capable of flushing water through the steam wand. Does this mean I shouldn't use vinegar for cleaning as I'll never get rid of the smell and taste? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    G'day LeroyC

Caveat: any unknown machine can be destroyed by something that is innocuous in any other machine. Please check your manual first!

I have been using white vinegar on a large number of Italian commercial machines (mostly suggested by their manuals) since the 70's: no issues except getting rid of the vinegar taste can take a while. Any boiler machine: I usually flush & clean the boiler(s) out fully before going near either coffee or steam section. 90% of foul tastes I found in commercial machines are the dreaded fish oil taint from their boiler. Sometimes the coffee / steam section then loses the awful taste without any further cleaning (saves time & effort). I also (always) clean any removable parts (especially showerscreens & baskets) thoroughly as even the slightest hint of brown on them usually affects the taste. Yeah, I know I am a finicky SOB as far as cleaning goes - I just don't see why I should use great beans and good water and then trash them on their final trip into the cup.

After that cleanup, the taste test: If either the coffee or steam section tastes of anything other than water then they need a clean.

Perhaps my earlier post was unclear: just run the vinegar solution through the steam wand "as per normal use" (i.e. initially as a little "vinegar water" and then mostly "vinegar steam" as it warms up) until it runs clear (seriously, some of them have been near black!). Check that it only smells / tastes of vinegar (repeat if necessary). Then use enough "rough filtered water" (i.e. no chlorine / fluorine or too much mineral anything) until there is no vinegar taste left.

Then you can fill it with whatever high quality water you actually use for your shots. Presto: back to normal operations for that gear... unless, of course, your grinder is crap or in need of a clean...

Enjoy your cuppas & have a great new year (to all CS'r's, even the flamers - I reckon we all just want a decent coffee, even if three CS'r's will have ten opinions as to what that means).

TampIt
    nickwalt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    G'day LeroyC

Caveat: any unknown machine can be destroyed by something that is innocuous in any other machine. Please check your manual first!

I have been using white vinegar on a large number of Italian commercial machines (mostly suggested by their manuals) since the 70's: no issues except getting rid of the vinegar taste can take a while. Any boiler machine: I usually flush & clean the boiler(s) out fully before going near either coffee or steam section. 90% of foul tastes I found in commercial machines are the dreaded fish oil taint from their boiler. Sometimes the coffee / steam section then loses the awful taste without any further cleaning (saves time & effort). I also (always) clean any removable parts (especially showerscreens & baskets) thoroughly as even the slightest hint of brown on them usually affects the taste. Yeah, I know I am a finicky SOB as far as cleaning goes - I just don't see why I should use great beans and good water and then trash them on their final trip into the cup.

After that cleanup, the taste test: If either the coffee or steam section tastes of anything other than water then they need a clean.

Perhaps my earlier post was unclear: just run the vinegar solution through the steam wand "as per normal use" (i.e. initially as a little "vinegar water" and then mostly "vinegar steam" as it warms up) until it runs clear (seriously, some of them have been near black!). Check that it only smells / tastes of vinegar (repeat if necessary). Then use enough "rough filtered water" (i.e. no chlorine / fluorine or too much mineral anything) until there is no vinegar taste left.

Then you can fill it with whatever high quality water you actually use for your shots. Presto: back to normal operations for that gear... unless, of course, your grinder is crap or in need of a clean...

Enjoy your cuppas & have a great new year (to all CS'r's, even the flamers - I reckon we all just want a decent coffee, even if three CS'r's will have ten opinions as to what that means).

TampIt
    Gotcha. Yep, that clears it up cheers. Happy NY.