Thread: Silvia - Pump Not Activating (coffee delivery)

Silvia - Pump Not Activating (coffee delivery)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Hoping you can provide some assistance. Very much a newbie when it comes to machines, so hoping you can help provide some assistance in getting me up and running on my coffee journey.

Purchased a 2nd hand silvia and just struggling to get it up and running. Pretty sure something is not working, hoping you can help isolate the issue and potentially point me in the right direction for a solution.

Tried to go through their recommended first startup process (turn on machine, water through steam wand followed by group head).

The coffee delivery button doesn't seem to make the pump kick in. There is no noise but a bit of water / steam trickles out of the wand, close that and then nothing happens.

If I turn on the hot water delivery button the pump starts up and water comes out of the wand. If I have both the coffee delivery and hot water delivery buttons on then water comes out of the group head. Just the coffee delivery button and then nothing.

The machine has a PID installed and set to a default boiler temp of 105. When it reaches temp the boiler light doesn't switch of buts starts flashing (not sure if this is normal? or normal for a PID machine?).

Haven't tried descaling, backflushing or anything like that yet.

So, is there a simple reason why when I click the coffee delivery nothing happens (am I missing something and being stupid?) or is there something you can suggest I investigate?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

R

hi raffles, i`m still learning about my silvia, i bought it new about 8 months ago. it does sound like you need to press the reset button on the boiler. There are a few tutorials on youtube showing you how, but bacially pop the top off the macine (just a few philips head screws) and locate the small red button on the thermostat. press it and you should have the pump back working . hope this helps, cheers

Thanks heaps for your help. It looks like it was just possibly me not understanding the pid functionality properly (saw a video on YouTube that helped).

Back to learning about the machine

Welcome "raffles"...

There's no need to worry too much about the PID Controller, so long as it's been installed properly. Is it a professional installation, do you know?

Basically, once you established what the Setpoint should be (for brewing), there should be no need to ever touch anything again. The Controller should not be connected in with the logic of the pump control but if there is something odd going on here, perhaps it would be worth your while, and to be safe, to arrange for your Silvia to be given a good going over by a reputable and qualified (espresso machine) technician. Would be money well spent and perhaps you could ask them while you're there, if they could give you a run-down on the correct operating procedure....

Best to play it safe...

Mal.

The coffee brew switch is wired pretty much strait to the pump. My bet would be a bad connection on the switch given you have proven the pump works by using tne hot water function.

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure it's a professional installation but at some stage I'll probably look at getting it serviced just to double-check everything is in order.

What I think I didn't understand was how the PID (auber) was setup to work. It has a temperature control (set to 105) but then also a pre-infusion and brew timer (similar to the youtube link below, 4 min mark). So I can either trigger the automatically timed brew process via a button on the PID or (I believe) use the water button instead to manually control the brew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mk7S-AcI2M

I've started testing with a couple of shots but quality is very much still a work in progress. Might try weighing some of the coffee next, 18-20g?, because I haven't been able to get a good consistency yet. First couple of shots were pretty much poison

Senior Member tobeanornottobean's Avatar
    Ratios are subjective but if you are going to weigh gs in, you might like to weigh gs out also. A good one to try is 1:2 or 20 gs in for 40 out. If you can do that in around 30 seconds give or take, and your beans are fresh etc, you are likely to be making good coffee. Good place to start anyways. Not everybody subscribes to this approach btw.

Quote Originally Posted by raffles View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure it's a professional installation but at some stage I'll probably look at getting it serviced just to double-check everything is in order.
    That's good to know at least but a once-over by a reputable technician would definitely be worth doing...

Quote Originally Posted by raffles View Post
    What I think I didn't understand was how the PID (auber) was setup to work. It has a temperature control (set to 105) but then also a pre-infusion and brew timer (similar to the youtube link below, 4 min mark). So I can either trigger the automatically timed brew process via a button on the PID or (I believe) use the water button instead to manually control the brew.
    I'm not familiar with this specific controller but going by the info located on the Auber website about the unit, it should be pretty reliable. If you want more info about this yourself, there's plenty to be found on the Auber pages...

Mal.

Hey mate,

I also have the Auber PID on my silvia with preinfusion and brew timer.

From your description, it seems correct.

There are three switches, I would call these:
    1) Group head switch
    2) Pump Switch
    3) Steam switch.

To use the timer on the PID, you need the group head switch ON, then setup your group handle with a shot, and press the button on the PID.

From memory, in regards to kosharis post, yes, with factory settings the first switch controls the three way valve solenoid as well as switches on the pump, whereas the second switch only turns on the pump. After the PID mod, the pump is taken off this first switch and is activated manually with the second switch.

You can do a manual shot by having the group head switch ON and then turning on the pump switch.

Steam switch obviously controls the heating of the boiler for steam.

When I'm done steaming, I always turn the pump on to flush it with water and refill the boiler to prevent emptying the boiler.