Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By deegee
  • 1 Post By victorgin

Thread: Machine and Grinder Advice!

Machine and Grinder Advice!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

First time coffee machine buyer here.. looking to spend around $1200 for both a grinder and espresso machine. mainly will be used for one or two milk based coffees in the morning and one or two in the evening. I was looking at getting the Rancilio Silvia model and perhaps pairing it with the Rocky grinder or even the Macap M2M but not to sure after looking at reviews of the Rocky grinder.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there. Your in a tricky price point there. You will be able to pick up some very good second hand stuff in your budget. You mention you mostly drink milk based drinks so id be looking at a heat exchange machine instead of a silvia. I recently upgraded from a silvia to a Bezzera and it is great. Second hand grinders like a K3p or like can be found on here for circa $250. Machines can vary. I paid 700 for my bezzera and it is in great knick. Do your research and keep a close eye on the hardware for sale section on here and you will get a great set up. Cheers Chris

Welcome "marshmanjim"...

The Macap M2M is a great first grinder for sure and there are many very happy owners here on CS. Can't go wrong...

Regarding the Silvia though, I'd recommend looking a the Lelit range of machines in preference though, much better bang for buck and a better selection of options....

Mal.

thanks for the advice, in terms of a lelit combi what are peoples thoughts? I have heard such mixed reviews about it, but in terms of money it does seem a little cheaper

The main attraction of combo machines is that they are very compact, and probably better bang for buck than individual units.

The downside is a lack of flexibility to change or upgrade just the grinder or the espresso maker. You should give some consideration to this.

Based on my own experience, it would not be my choice, but if you expect to stick with your first choice for the long haul, it could be fine for you.
    Dimal likes this.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    As a recent first time coffee machine owner, i have just upgraded from a 2nd hand Silvia to a HX machine. The Silvia is a great learning machine, and good for maybe 2-milk based coffees at a time. Any more and you end up having to take a while longer to make the drinks, temperature surf, and wait for the boiler to 'reheat' up for the steaming of the milk. That said, i enjoyed using the Silvia for the 13 months, but did eventually find the limitations and had to 'work' to keep getting consistently good milk, and shots. Before buying my upgrade HX machine, i liked the E61 look and the VBM Domobar junior was considered as the entry-point price (around $1600+). The Nuova Simonelli Oscar was another option.

I was doing stovetop Bialetti Moka pots for about 7 years before going for a machine. Enjoyed reading about machines and doing the study beforehand, and eventually the Silvia was my first entry-point machine.

There is quite a lot of value to be had going 2nd hand for your first machine, and then continuing your learning/search, before maybe settling on splashing out on a new 'forever' machine.

Enjoy your path, as most people on here appear to tinker/upgrade and reach some sort of happy equilibrium!

V
    DaveD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by victorgin View Post
    As a recent first time coffee machine owner, i have just upgraded from a 2nd hand Silvia to a HX machine. The Silvia is a great learning machine, and good for maybe 2-milk based coffees at a time. Any more and you end up having to take a while longer to make the drinks, temperature surf, and wait for the boiler to 'reheat' up for the steaming of the milk. That said, i enjoyed using the Silvia for the 13 months, but did eventually find the limitations and had to 'work' to keep getting consistently good milk, and shots. Before buying my upgrade HX machine, i liked the E61 look and the VBM Domobar junior was considered as the entry-point price (around $1600+). The Nuova Simonelli Oscar was another option.

I was doing stovetop Bialetti Moka pots for about 7 years before going for a machine. Enjoyed reading about machines and doing the study beforehand, and eventually the Silvia was my first entry-point machine.

There is quite a lot of value to be had going 2nd hand for your first machine, and then continuing your learning/search, before maybe settling on splashing out on a new 'forever' machine.

Enjoy your path, as most people on here appear to tinker/upgrade and reach some sort of happy equilibrium!

V
    Exactly my experience and thoughts as well!