Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: Sunbeam em6910 low water light always on

Sunbeam em6910 low water light always on

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I just bought a Sunbeam em6910 of ebay, it said it was "in perfect working order".
    Firstly it beeps 4 times when I turn it on, and the low water light stays on no matter what, I've checked the floating magnet and its freely floating.
    Second; the pressure gauge is always on 0, even after all the lights have lit up(apparently not critical, but does this hint that this machine has never been cleaned?).
    Third; it doesn't sound overly healthy, using the steam wand it seemed to struggle quite a bit(we have the same model at work, so I know what it should be sounding like).

Any tips? Or should I just push for a refund? The text is warn out on the knobs, so that should have been a give away to amount of use this machine has had.
    Haven't tried a descale or backflush yet.

ask for refund for sure if they advertised as "perfect"

Quote Originally Posted by Libertyrx1 View Post
    ask for refund for sure if they advertised as "perfect"
    Seems the easiest route, it came with a plastic coffee spoon which I thought I'd never use and threw it out, hopefully I can still get a refund.
    Thanks.

The magnet inside the plastic case will have broken down, it still floats but gives no reading to the machine.
    It needs to be replaced.

The pressure gauge will always sit at 0 when the machine is idling. It will only move once you are making a coffee and pressure is built in the group head circuit.
    If it still does not move when you are making coffee, either:

a) You have ground too coarse and are not building sufficient pressure for it to register on the gauge (grind finer and see if it changes)
    b) The gauge is broken
    c) There is a blockage of coffee between the gauge and the group head. This is often caused by poor maintenance.

These machines are notoriously noisy. They make a racket when making a coffee.

The poor steaming is most likely a scaled thermoblock. It can also be:

a) Blockage in the steam tip or wand
    b) Weak steam pump
    c) Loose fitting on the steam pump causing a water leak (you will see water drip from the machine onto the bench at the front left of the machine if this is the case)
    d) Pressure relief valve on steam pump opening when in normal use. To confirm this, remove the drip tray grille and switch on the steam. Once the steam is running at full power (or at least however powerful it is) there should be no water running into the drip tray from the small opening at the centre of the tray. If there is any water coming from here when steaming, the relief valve is operating when it shouldn't and you're losing power.

Check the basics first before you go any further. Remove the steam wand tip and check for blockages, remove shower screens and see how bad the build up of coffee grounds are.
    Clean shower screens and run a few chemical backflushes (Using coffee machine cleaner, can be purchased here: Cafetto espresso clean, 500 grams - Cafetto | Coffee Parts). This may also get the gauge working again if a blockage is the cause.

If you don't want to mess around with further repairs if you still have problems then maybe just get a refund.

Alternatively, I buy a lot of these machines to restore. Send me message if you want to work something out.
    jazrotorman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    The magnet inside the plastic case will have broken down, it still floats but gives no reading to the machine.
    It needs to be replaced.

The pressure gauge will always sit at 0 when the machine is idling. It will only move once you are making a coffee and pressure is built in the group head circuit.
    If it still does not move when you are making coffee, either:

a) You have ground too coarse and are not building sufficient pressure for it to register on the gauge (grind finer and see if it changes)
    b) The gauge is broken
    c) There is a blockage of coffee between the gauge and the group head. This is often caused by poor maintenance.

These machines are notoriously noisy. They make a racket when making a coffee.

The poor steaming is most likely a scaled thermoblock. It can also be:

a) Blockage in the steam tip or wand
    b) Weak steam pump
    c) Loose fitting on the steam pump causing a water leak (you will see water drip from the machine onto the bench at the front left of the machine if this is the case)
    d) Pressure relief valve on steam pump opening when in normal use. To confirm this, remove the drip tray grille and switch on the steam. Once the steam is running at full power (or at least however powerful it is) there should be no water running into the drip tray from the small opening at the centre of the tray. If there is any water coming from here when steaming, the relief valve is operating when it shouldn't and you're losing power.

Check the basics first before you go any further. Remove the steam wand tip and check for blockages, remove shower screens and see how bad the build up of coffee grounds are.
    Clean shower screens and run a few chemical backflushes (Using coffee machine cleaner, can be purchased here: Cafetto espresso clean, 500 grams - Cafetto | Coffee Parts). This may also get the gauge working again if a blockage is the cause.

If you don't want to mess around with further repairs if you still have problems then maybe just get a refund.

Alternatively, I buy a lot of these machines to restore. Send me message if you want to work something out.

Wow, thanks for the detailed response, I just asked for a refund over ebay, so we'll see what happens.
    Oh wasn't sure about the pressure gauge, just tested with coffee, it works fine.

With the steam wand, I took the tip off completely, still runs weak.
    Haven't seen any leaks so i don't think it's a loose fitting, and no water leaks down the relief when the steam is running.
    The pulses are are lot longer on this machine(compared to the same one at work) and it drops pressure between these pulses, if that helps narrow it down

When i take the group head off after making a coffee there are big divots in the ground coffee, so I'm guessing pretty blocked.
    If i cannot refund this, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks again!