Thread: advice on new basket

advice on new basket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi guys i'm looking at purchasing a new basket for my silvia V4, i will also be purchasing a naked portafiller. from my research i'm seeing a bunch of people recommend the Synesso Unridged double, however most of this was from a few years ago and im having issues finding it in stock. was wondering if there has been any changes since those recommendations in terms of baskets or if anyone knows where i can buy one online in stock?

Hi rayuki,

A good option would be the espresso parts precision basket
    Precision filter basket 58mm- Espresso parts | Talk Coffee
    It's good value for money, and definitely worth trying - I have a double and triple, and think they're fantastic.

The other option is the more expensive but highly regarded VST baskets.
    Search results for: 'vst'
    Whichever you decide on, it will be a massive step up from the standard Rancilio basket.

Cheers, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Hi rayuki,

A good option would be the espresso parts precision basket
    Precision filter basket 58mm- Espresso parts | Talk Coffee
    It's good value for money, and definitely worth trying - I have a double and triple, and think they're fantastic.

The other option is the more expensive but highly regarded VST baskets.
    Search results for: 'vst'
    Whichever you decide on, it will be a massive step up from the standard Rancilio basket.

Cheers, Dave
    thanks yeah i had seen VST come up in a few of my searches, think i'll give it a go. thanks for the link

It's a pity the Synesso is out of production - my 18g ridgeless is still my favourite basket, very tolerant and consistent. The EP Precision baskets have replaced the Synesso, and they're good, but I personally don't find them as good.
    At the risk of starting another VST bun fight I found the VST on the Silvia very inconsistent and intolerant of less than perfect distribution and tamping, but capable of making fantastic coffee when you get the planets all lined up.

If you're going to buy the VST I suggest you get an EP Precision for comparison, and to prevent bouts psychotic wailing and self-flagellation when you're unable get a repeat of a great shot on the VST, despite doing everything in exactly the same way.

Not to forget the very reliable Synesso Ridgeless Basket...

Still a good'n...

Mal.

Edit:
    Snap....
    Bummer that they're no longer available.
    I've got a couple of Bezzera ridgeless doubles too and they are very similar to the Synesso ones.
    May be a suitable alternative.

I'm currently using the EP Baskets referred to above and don't find them inferior to the Synesso at all.
    Last edited by Dimal; 15th January 2016 at 10:01 PM.

Cheers guys I will most likely pick up a few to try, might even go hunting on ebay or something for a Synesso I had a laugh.

edit: looks like i found some in stock commercial link removed per Site Posting Policy

will order and see what happens.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 17th January 2016 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Commericial link(s) removed