Thread: Help EM7000 group head seal!!

Help EM7000 group head seal!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all

I recently pulled out my shower screen and group head seal for a clean and accidentally pulled this gasket off somewhere while I was scrubbing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452916017.660090.jpg

My question is, is this a removable part, or has it come off the seal somewhere? There is water leaking around the portafilter now, no matter how tight I twist it in and I don't want to do damage to the machine. If I replace the seal, will it come with that part? I think I know the answer, so sorry if this sounds daft, just don't want to order a new seal and have the same problem!

Kizz84,
    Fear not,what you have there is simply a shim or a means to pack out the height of your group head seal.
    Bit surprising that it was fitted to a otherwise new machine,usually only used when the original group seal is old and too compressed to seal properly.Is you machine new or second hand?
    Refitting requires the shim 1st followed by everything else,shouldn't leak after that (depending on the age of the seal).You can install more shims if the machine still leaks or potentially a new group seal,see how you go.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

These are fitted to most new Sunbeam machines these days. Don't do much really, my Torino has one and it was useless, handle still turned all the way around and it was brand new.

It fits under the main seal. If you still have leaks with it refitted, use it as a stencil to cut out another shim from some thin card. Fit this card shim under the lot and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Kizz84,
    Fear not,what you have there is simply a shim or a means to pack out the height of your group head seal.
    Bit surprising that it was fitted to a otherwise new machine,usually only used when the original group seal is old and too compressed to seal properly.Is you machine new or second hand?
    Refitting requires the shim 1st followed by everything else,shouldn't leak after that (depending on the age of the seal).You can install more shims if the machine still leaks or potentially a new group seal,see how you go.
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    Hey Mick. The machine was second-hand, but not many miles on it, so I reckon this has to be a factory shim, as mentioned by noidle.

I pulled the seal out this evening and replaced the shim and all is working as it was now, so thanks for the advice!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453369296.577825.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    These are fitted to most new Sunbeam machines these days. Don't do much really, my Torino has one and it was useless, handle still turned all the way around and it was brand new.

It fits under the main seal. If you still have leaks with it refitted, use it as a stencil to cut out another shim from some thin card. Fit this card shim under the lot and you should be fine.
    Hey noidle, I find that surprising, given how tight the handle has been on my 6910 and now my 7000! Now I have put the shim back in its place, I could not turn the handle past 45 degrees without doing proper damage! How are you liking the Torino, by the way?

Thanks, Kiz