Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Libertyrx1
  • 1 Post By mulquemi

Thread: Machine Suggestion for Small Office

Machine Suggestion for Small Office

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Our office super-auto has died for the last time and I seek its replacement.

I am contemplating a manual machine such as a Breville Dual Boiler (which I have at home and love) but am open minded in case that's a bad idea.

If we went with a manual machine, I would have to train 2-3 staff in its use and ensure they don't spend all day perfecting their latte art on someone else's dime.

Any other advice appreciated.

Other more important issue I guess with manual machine in an office setting is cleaning up and who would be allowed to use it I guess (dont forget need to clean grinder as well). I know that people in our office cant even clean up after themselves when they make instant bloody coffee. You could almost pour boiling water into the sugar and make instant coffee in there because there is that much instant coffee in the sugar container. I'm guessing that's why fully automatic machines are the most popular in offices, mostly no mess, no fuss and if they make a decent coffee, saves half the office going out to grab a coffee.
    mulquemi likes this.

Lewko,
    Staff room coffee machine selection can sometimes be difficult ,I begun this two years ago and prior to this only way to get coffee was to move away to the main (big) staff room,well away from the actual departmental area.
    First we tried a little Sunbeam 54mm manual together with a small sunbeam grinder.Proved a bit messy so had a go using the coffee ESE pods,although less mess most staff thought they were too wasteful environmentally.
    Have tried other manual machines (Krups/& no names).
    We now have courtesy of a keen machine collector,Saeco auto ,Bezzera single group HX and a Boema single group teamed with a great Iberital challenger grinder.
    This combination is excellent,all staff users eventually find their own way around the machines and everyone gets to enjoy their own perfect coffee,without travelling around the whole site.
    Life's great with functional coffee machines!Hope that is some help.(all achieved for less then $500).
    Cheers,
    Last edited by mulquemi; 29th January 2016 at 07:53 AM. Reason: typo x many!

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Lewko,
    Staff room coffee machine selection can sometimes be difficult ,I begun this two years ago and prior to this only way to get coffee was to move away to the main (big) staff room,well away from the actual departmental area.
    First we tried a little Sunbeam 54mm manual together with a small sunbeam grinder.Proved a bit messy so had a go using the coffee ESE pods,although less mess most staff thought they were too wasteful environmentally.
    Have tried other manual machines (Krups/& no names).
    We now have courtesy of a keen machine collector,Saeco auto ,Bezzera single group HX and a Boema single group teamed with a great Iberital challenger grinder.
    This combination is excellent,all staff users eventually find their own way around the machines and everyone gets to enjoy their own perfect coffee,without travelling around the whole site.
    Life's great with functional coffee machines!Hope that is some help.(all achieved for less then $500).
    Cheers,
    Mulquemi, these machines you now have, are they the ones that have been mentioned in threads here by the collector with regards to some nice referb project work?

I have no experience with this machine, but an idea is possibly the Breville Oracle. Similar to the Breville dual boiler but with inbuilt grinder and as I understand is nearly fully auto but partially manual, better for office scenario. Hopefully some snobs here can give more feedback on this option, how it operates and reliability and serviceability (as it is a home appliance brand). I had a breville for 4yrs and it didn't miss a beat, only moved it on to upgraded to my Faema HX.

AlastairMcG,
    Sorry to divert the op's original inquiry however,yes all of these machines I've worked on end up at my workplace staff area's,demand for coffee demands sacrifice!
    Cheers,
    mick.
    AlastairMcG likes this.

Hello Lewko,
    Just now finished a fairly thorough check over and adjust of the staff room HX machine (Bezzera),both of the other machines (Boema and Saeco auto) are humming along nicely however,the Bezzera had exhibited some leaks during this last year.All sorted after removing steam wand cleaning/clearing ,back flushed and cleared group head and generally tightened things to reduce some rattles etc.
    All machines despite their very random use by any staff in the departmental area have stood the test exceptionally well.
    Really worthwhile putting in some high quality machines in this environment,teachers are some of the worse users of these or similar machines! Good thing I'm neither a teacher or an otherwise disinterested bystander!
    Descaling is unnecessary as I only use bottled (rainwater) but coffee oils will still build eventually,under control by myself.
    All I really do now is ensure the water supply is maintained,and keep an ear/eye out for anything out of the usual,easy.
    The Bezzera was $200,the Boema at $100 and the little Saeco auto was a roadside find (free) and finally the Iberital grinder was free (a coffee forum person $20 postage).Incidentals like hose,connectors,check valves etc and some plastic water tanks were something like $50 total.
    As I always find myself saying "life's great when a perfect coffee can be had and enjoyed".
    I do hope you can find a similarly successful staff room coffee environment as I've had.
    Cheers,
    Mick.