Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Rancilio Silvia and meCoffee PID

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by matust View Post
    I don't think that's accurate. He sells a product that has proven to be unreliable and he leaves many people in the dark because he doesn't respond to their emails.
    He has tried to explain the issues with the product as per the link. The non-response to emails seems to be a case of being overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by matust View Post
    Would you recommend a MeCoffee to your friends?
    Currently, probably not. If he catches up and gets back on track I'll probably take a chance.

He is not alone in this circumstance. The difference is he responded honestly to the issue at hand and seems to be trying to take responsibility, albeit slowly. A few years ago I spent a considerable sum on a coffee related item. Had an issue and after much analysis was told I was the problem, not the item. Eventually it turned out to be electronic. In my case I had the feeling customers were not only being used as Beta testers but also at their own expense.
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 2nd December 2018 at 05:31 PM.
    level3ninja likes this.

Hi,
    Im sorry to read so many posts of people having problems. I purchased one without reading this thread. I may have not gone ahead with the mod after reading these. Fingers crossed mine survives.
    I’ve just done the complete install on this PID and the machine is running really well. There is just one thing that I’m confused about. I can’t get the settings to save. For example, every time I adjust temperature settings, upload them to the device then close and re-open the app, the settings are back to default. Is this normal? Is there a way of getting the settings to stay?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Froudy View Post
    Hi,
    Im sorry to read so many posts of people having problems. I purchased one without reading this thread. I may have not gone ahead with the mod after reading these. Fingers crossed mine survives.
    Iíve just done the complete install on this PID and the machine is running really well. There is just one thing that Iím confused about. I canít get the settings to save. For example, every time I adjust temperature settings, upload them to the device then close and re-open the app, the settings are back to default. Is this normal? Is there a way of getting the settings to stay?
    Thanks
    I seem to recall that the not saving settings bug was one of the reasons I rolled back to an older release of the mebarista app.
    Also try rolling back the pid firmware, if memory serves, that stops the solenoid closing when steam switch is turned on bug....
    I may have got that the wrong way around tho....
    Froudy likes this.

Any updates on this mod?

I've been using one of these for 2.5 years now. Yes it is buggy, but fundamentally it works as a PID. I'm still happy with it. I've spoken to Jan @ meCoffee a few times in regards to bugs and he 's been responsive (maybe he only responds to polite emails and bins the abuse?). Though I think he's struggling to deal with the stresses of running his one-man-shop business.

I was very excited to see he's open-sourcing the meCoffee app and (eventually) firmware
    https://mecoffee.nl/blog/opening-up-mebarista/
    https://git.mecoffee.nl/meBarista/meBarista_for_Android (why didn't he just use GitHub?.... I won't ask)

When he gets the firmware up, I'm hoping to jump in and get a good understanding of how it works. Hopefully fix some of the bugs. Hopefully don't break my machine. Maybe he'll read this post and be prompted to get the firmware out?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123