Thread: Breville Bes860 no crema

Breville Bes860 no crema

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have just purchased a BES860. Using the handy Breville guide for the correct extraction, I found everything is in the correct range: flow starts after about 8 seconds, extraction in the correct range limit, espresso dark colour, the whole process, from pushing the button until end of extraction takes just over 25 seconds. But quite watery coffee and very thin and not consistente crema.

[COLOR=#333333]I should add I am using the single wall filter, single shot. I tried a slightly finer setting (from 10 to 12) and that didnt seem to change anything either.

What I'm missing?

Here are some photos

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ynujwgigs...lVfMtaDia?dl=0
    Last edited by Javaphile; 6th February 2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Fix link(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morenobonechi View Post
    I have just purchased a BES860. Using the handy Breville guide for the correct extraction, I found everything is in the correct range: flow starts after about 8 seconds, extraction in the correct range limit, espresso dark colour, the whole process, from pushing the button until end of extraction takes just over 25 seconds. But quite watery coffee and very thin and not consistente crema.

I should add I am using the single wall filter, single shot. I tried a slightly finer setting (from 10 to 12) and that didnt seem to change anything either.

What I'm missing?

Here are some photos

Hi there and welcome. Those photos don't seem to have loaded. I can't see them anyway, just a bunch of crosses. Where did you get your coffee beans from? A local roaster or the supermarket?

Hy Leroy,

if you click here you can see the photos https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ynujwgigs...lVfMtaDia?dl=0

I bought my beans online at Illy Store, do you think that the problem is related to Illy beans?

Thanks in advance for you help

Quote Originally Posted by morenobonechi View Post
    Hy Leroy,

if you click here you can see the photos https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ynujwgigs...lVfMtaDia?dl=0

I bought my beans online at Illy Store, do you think that the problem is related to Illy beans?

Thanks in advance for you help
    Ok, I can see them now. Is that not crema on the top of the espresso shot? The two photos you've posted showing the espresso are both from the side and both seem to have some sort of crema layer on them. Or is it just a ring of foam around the outside of the glass with nothing in the middle? If that's the case then I'd blame the beans for sure. I'd never buy Illy beans. There's a variety of reasons, but mainly because - 1. Ridiculously overpriced, 2. More importantly, they aren't fresh. Last time I checked they were roasted in Italy and vacuum packed for shipping around the world. Eeeeww. Buying beans online is fine, but maybe try a local roaster. Beanbay here on CS is a great option if you're in Australia, as are any of the site sponsors that sell coffee such as Di Bartoli or Talk Coffee.

I have the BSE870 but the machines are similar so here is my advice.

Firstly going from setting 10 to 12 is actually making the grind more course, rather than finer. The lower the number the finer the grind. (This is the case on the 870 so i am assuming it's the same on your machine)

I suggest you change your grid size down to about 3 and go from there.

When first starting I found it easier to use the single wall double cup basket. Once I was getting consistent shots I worked on using the single cup basket.

Use loads of pressure when your tamping. I initially wasn't using nearly enough pressure and struggled for ages to get a good shot. Since I realized I wasn't using enough pressure and changed that I have never looked back.

Don't be too concerned about getting exactly the same timings as per the supplied information. Timings will vary according to many different factors. Getting a good tasting shot is more important than how long it takes to pour it.

Good luck. Keep us posted with you progress.
    Last edited by Horace01; 6th February 2016 at 10:14 PM.

As you said Leroy, it is a sort of crema layer, but very thin.

The crema layer if full, not a ring, but is a thin layer.

This afternoon I'll go to a local roaster and I'll buy new beans to compare them with the Illy ones, I'll post "experiment results".

Thanks

Hi Horace01,

thanks for your reply.

I'll go for the downgrade and I'll try the pressure with a scale to have a more "direct" feedback.

This afternoon also I'll go to a local roaster and I'll buy new beans to compare them with the Illy ones, I'll post "experiment results".

Thanks

You were both right:

a) Fresh beans bought yesterday at a local shop

+

b) More pressure measured with the help of my FitBit scale

= now I have the crema as you can see.

Thanks for your help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc2y6zwi9k...ender.jpg?dl=0