Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fondie

Thread: Not sure where to start?

Not sure where to start?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,

I am looking to replace my current machine and I am a bit confused as to where to even begin.
    We currently have a Saeco Xelsis super automatic, it is approaching four years old and is starting to make some very odd noises, plus the coffee it is producing is really not very nice.
    So I am tasked with researching a new machine, I would love some recommendations
    I don't want another super automatic
    My hubby drinks espresso and I like latte styled coffee.
    We use the machine every day and probably drink about 6-8 cups between the two of us a day, more if we have family or friends over.
    We do not have a grinder, so I guess we would need to add that to any purchase
    We can spend up to $2000 but I would rather not spend that much
    What are your recommendations?

Thanks in Advance
    Emily from Perth

TC
    Hi Emily and welcome.

Buying Guide- Espresso machines | Talk Coffee might assist you in gaining an idea of what you want/need v budget....

Happy shopping!

Chris

first of all you need a millingmachine if you want to have a good espresso.

Thanks for the reply Chris,

I have read your buying guide and I found it very helpful; I also found that it increased my upper limit for my budget
    I am now looking at the Vibiemme Domobar Junior, the Isomac Tea, or the ECM Barista- which kind of puts it out of the mid-range price. I would probably have to buy a cheaper grinder like $200 breville or sunbeam as a stop gap measure until we have saved up for a better grinder.
    I do have one question, what is the start up time for any of these machines? We need our morning coffee
    Thanks

Hi there. I have found the second hand section of this site to be excellent for buying coffee stuff. I have bought 2 machines off here now and both have been great. You will easily buy a really good machine and grinder for under 1600. Happy shopping

Site Sponsor
    Hi Emily,

Heat up time for a HX with E61 is typically in the 30 to 60min range. Auto timers are a popular option for those with a sub 15min morning routine,

charlie

I have an ECM heat ex machine and I'd say it reaches brewing temp with 1.2 bar pressure in around 10-15 min, but it has optimal warmth around the 30+ minute mark. As others have said, a timer may be used, but I haven't found it a big issue. My advice is that good espresso shouldn't be rushed! I avoid making coffee if I get up at 5am before day shift, I struggle for time snd it's too noisy and gives my wife the sh$ts. Happy wife, happy life!

Also re grinders, if you purchase a decent machine, don't pair it with a cheap nasty grinder. Best to source a decent second hand grinder, like a compak k3 of similar. Your machine is only as good as your grinder!

I know I should buy a better grinder, unfortunately it a matter of buying what we can within our budget.
    Our current super-auto is not sounding right and the coffee is horrible, so the priority is to replace it before it dies.
    At the moment I am looking at either the Lelit PL43MMI Coffee Grinder or the Iberital Challenge Coffee Grinder.
    I am sure that even with a cheap grinder I can look forward to better coffee ��

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisj1984 View Post
    Hi there. I have found the second hand section of this site to be excellent for buying coffee stuff. I have bought 2 machines off here now and both have been great. You will easily buy a really good machine and grinder for under 1600. Happy shopping
    This is good advice ^^^^ , plenty of great machines out there at affordable price, that way you get a great machine AND a decent grinder! It actually exactly what I did, new Compak Push and a 2 year old ECM for under $1400

Its worth a thought, only problem is, it takes time to find the "right" machine, and by the sounds you need one ASAP

n8

Re the grinders, if it was me and I couldn't stretch initially to a K3 or M2 (or better), I would get the smart grinder (~$200 on sale) in the interim (instead of the ones you suggested).

Yes it is an appliance but very user friendly, mess free, well featured and good value. I used one for a few years on a "serious" machine with great tasting coffee and results. I still have it for travel or other brews (quick grind adjustment over large range).

Cheers

Thanks for the reply artman,
    I don't want to have to upgrade the coffee machine anytime soon, so it makes sense to put down some serious cash on the machine. Unless I change my mind again I think we will come home with the ECM Barista on Tuesday; that means using either a Breville or sunbeam grinder for a maybe six months, then we can look at a lovely Mazzer grinder or similar.

Hmmmmm...it's confusing running two threads on the one topic Emily....

It's better to keep things tidy and all together. It helps the continuity and other readers who are, or will be, in the same boat. :-D

link to new topic: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...35-choose.html

I posted the other thread because I ended up increasing my budget and the machines I was looking at were all way above $1500. Sorry for any confusion
    Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    Hmmmmm...it's confusing running two threads on the one topic Emily....

It's better to keep things tidy and all together. It helps the continuity and other readers who are, or will be, in the same boat. :-D

link to new topic: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...35-choose.html

Thanks for the link, i am in the same boat looking to get my first manual coffee machine after having fully automatic machines for years now.

Hi MightyBean,

I ended up blowing my budget big time! So maybe my example is not one to follow (unless you like spending lots of cash)
    It is a bit of a change, coming from a super-auto but the taste of the coffee makes all the extra "work" worthwhile.
    I am finding that there is a bit of a learning curve but I like learning new skills and, hey I get to feed my caffeine addiction at the same time
    Dimal likes this.