Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By noidle22

Thread: Group head shim for Sumbeam EM6910

Group head shim for Sumbeam EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

Just thought i would share this information as many people have a Sunbeam EM6910 with a worn collar causing the portafilter to turn too far around or not even seal at all.

The ideal remedy is to replace the group collar however applying a small spacer (shim) under the blue group head seal may give you some more time on the worn group collar.

A shim can usually be made by tracing the group head seal onto a laminated card or other medium then cutting it out and making it fit but that's a fair bit of effort.

Coffee Parts sell a group head shim that is an exact fit for the EM6910 group head.
    The shim part number is 700728 and is only around a dollar.
    You will support a site sponsor and save yourself some time.

I've attached a photo of the shim in place and a well fitting group handle.

20160316_161621.jpg 20160316_161451.jpg

Cardboard works but it is a fair bit of mucking about to get the size right. For a buck why bother.

I cut my own out of PP sheeting. It took all of 5 minutes to measure, print a template and cut it. The main benefit was not having to wait a few days for it to arrive.

Be aware that a shimmed seal will have a larger gap between the puck and the shower screen, necessitating a higher dose. Also my collar has worn unevenly so the left side is tighter than the right.

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    Hi,
    Coffee Parts sell a group head shim that is an exact fit for the EM6910 group head.
    The shim part number is 700728 and is only around a dollar.
    You will support a site sponsor and save yourself some time.
    Out of interest do they offer a custom postage price for this item? The item is 95 cents, but the cheapest shipping option is $7.95.

Just buy more stuff??!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RATLSNAKE View Post
    Out of interest do they offer a custom postage price for this item? The item is 95 cents, but the cheapest shipping option is $7.95.
    That is a problem. Maybe give them a call and see if they can put it in an envelope or something.

Or, as mentioned, buy more things. Once you browse coffeeparts there will be many things you realise you need to buy.

It's like browsing a hardware store......I only came in for a pack of screws, $150 later and a box full of stuff.......

Days later still didn't hear back from them. That said, found an eBay seller once more. All good.

I orders three of them from coffee parts, not the same as mentioned above. I think I got a 71x59x0.8mm. I needed two my group was so worn!! But I'm back at 6 0'clock!!!
    My experience with them was good, I ordered a tamper also and they called to tell me it wasn't in stock to discuss options almost immediately.