Results 1 to 33 of 33
Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By kbc
  • 3 Post By kbc
  • 1 Post By Caps
  • 1 Post By readeral
  • 1 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 1 Post By -Alchemist-
  • 2 Post By kbc
  • 1 Post By kbc

Thread: Blew my budget...

  1. #1
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960

    Blew my budget...

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I blew my budget as well - couldn't say no to an ECM Controvento at MICE yesterday !

  2. #2
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauly404 View Post
    I blew my budget as well - couldn't say no to an ECM Controvento at MICE yesterday !

    Holy crap!!! Well if you're gonna blow your budget you might as well do it proper!!!!

  3. #3
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Yep - DID IT PROPER

  4. #4
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,433
    What a sexy beast!!

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Dang! Nice!
    Is that the portafilter that came with it though?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,363
    Congrats @Pauly404 - I was admiring that one last week... looks even better in the metal than I was expecting!

  7. #7
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Dang! Nice!
    Is that the portafilter that came with it though?
    Yep, this came with these PFs. They match the lever.

  8. #8
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    I would've expected the ones that fully match the lever like the ones that come with the Technika/Mechanika machines
    http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/cat...421_detail.jpg

  9. #9
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    My mistake - the pic has my old PF. This did come with the matching PFs (ie, with the SS handle ends. They look awesome !

  10. #10
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    I'm curious with these handles whether the bakelite (or whatever it's made of) could be removed without damage, and a wooden inner could be made up, capped by the stainless steel end. That's totally something I would do with my machine if I could!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,363
    I'm pretty sure I've seen some ECM handles with very nice aftermarket wooden and acetal inserts @readeral - perhaps on one of the US forums. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

  12. #12
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Pic with ECM PF.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    14
    Beautiful Beast for Kitchen...

  14. #14
    Senior Member iggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    206
    Are you sure this should be in the 'mid range machine' forum? ;-P Haha

  15. #15
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Quote Originally Posted by iggs View Post
    Are you sure this should be in the 'mid range machine' forum? ;-P Haha
    Good point - it's not mid range

  16. #16
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen some ECM handles with very nice aftermarket wooden and acetal inserts @readeral - perhaps on one of the US forums. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.
    So, I was wrong - I was thinking of a thread with some lovely matching handles for PF, lever and steam/water toggles for an Alex Leva.

    I would also like to replace the black plastic on my ECM (water and steam toggle levers, PF and brew lever bits), but no idea whether the latter could be removed non-destructively. Installing the replacement would be simple enough - just construct it as two halves and glue in place. But breaking the plastic to remove it doesn't appeal at all... I'm particularly keen to replace the toggles as they let the overall look down a touch IMO, but suspect timber with the black PF and lever would look a little odd. Hmmmm....

  17. #17
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    So, I was wrong - I was thinking of a thread with some lovely matching handles for PF, lever and steam/water toggles for an Alex Leva.

    I would also like to replace the black plastic on my ECM (water and steam toggle levers, PF and brew lever bits), but no idea whether the latter could be removed non-destructively. Installing the replacement would be simple enough - just construct it as two halves and glue in place. But breaking the plastic to remove it doesn't appeal at all... I'm particularly keen to replace the toggles as they let the overall look down a touch IMO, but suspect timber with the black PF and lever would look a little odd. Hmmmm....
    Yeah I wasn't so keen on breaking the plastic either. There's a risk in non-reversible changes that makes me nervous :P Oh well! TBH, I'm the only one that notices these things on my machine anyway.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Yeah I wasn't so keen on breaking the plastic either. There's a risk in non-reversible changes that makes me nervous :P Oh well! TBH, I'm the only one that notices these things on my machine anyway.
    Yep, I have had the same thought. I did manage to take apart my PF's though without breaking them - wasn't easy. I got the SS ends off and you then require an allen key, but I didn't have 1 big enough. So I drilled a neat hole between the thread and the handle so it would be hidden when they were put back together. Put a random allen key through the hole which gives better leverage to unscrew the handle. The brew lever is another story. If we can find someone with a lathe.........

  19. #19
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,363
    Interesting - does the SS end screw off, or a resistance fit?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    121
    Yep screws off, not easy. I heated it up with some boiling water first and used a rubber glove to give some grip
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  21. #21
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960

    Blew my budget...

    I love the SS-black plastic-SS look on the PFs and Lever.
    What I'm thinking about is asking the factory if they can do matching steam and hot water joy sticks.
    Might not work because they may get too hot...
    What do you think of that for an idea?

  22. #22
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    I love the SS-black plastic-SS look on the PFs and Lever.
    What I'm thinking about is asking the factory if they can do matching steam and hot water joy sticks.
    Might not work because they may get too hot...
    What do you think of that for an idea?
    I reckon it wouldn't have a problem. Heat wouldn't travel through that handle too quickly.. Heck, it'd almost be something we could get a local to do up and cut off the end of the levers for us
    kbc likes this.

  23. #23
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,433
    Maybe you could adapt the brew lever to the steam/water taps to have a matching set. The plastic/stainless ends look great.

    Cheers
    kbc likes this.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,363
    Getting beyond uber-picky, but I'm also not a huge fan of how the plastic on the brew lever ends without a SS bit covering it at the cam end... the inserts on the pf handles are great though. Matching toggle levers would definitely be a nice upgrade
    kbc likes this.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    121
    Turns out the brew lever is the same thread as the steam and HW toggles. It is a bit long, and I'm not keen on the look. I am going to get some timber ones made, eventually.....

    20160417_153542.jpg

  26. #26
    Senior Member readeral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Caps View Post
    Turns out the brew lever is the same thread as the steam and HW toggles. It is a bit long, and I'm not keen on the look. I am going to get some timber ones made, eventually.....20160417_153542.jpg
    Yeah it'd definitely need to be a 'small' version of the lever

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    I love the SS-black plastic-SS look on the PFs and Lever.
    What I'm thinking about is asking the factory if they can do matching steam and hot water joy sticks.
    If you get a reply in the affirmative - I'm in!! :-)
    Magic_Matt likes this.

  28. #28
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,433
    Hard to tell from the pic but perhaps you could cut off a bit of the black plastic bit to make it shorter (and lengthen the hole/thread if required). It might still be too large in diameter and look out of proportion?

    I might have seen a pic of a machine with plastic/stainless toggles but I might be haulucinating?

    Cheers

  29. #29
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    This thread has gone right off track. My fault .

    Anyway, I will bring this up with ECM.

    For the Contravento the brew lever looks ok when used as a toggle. See pic.

  30. #30
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    ECM Controvento with brew lever as hot water toggle:



  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    This thread has gone right off track. My fault .

    Anyway, I will bring this up with ECM.

    For the Contravento the brew lever looks ok when used as a toggle. See pic.
    Wouldn't be the first thread to get off track Pauly - they should also do a few timber options while they are at it.

    Did you get anywhere with the raised drip tray for the Technika?

  32. #32
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Not yep. Raised drip tray may be an option down the track. Next shipment is due late May. I'll see if there are any in that one.

    Guys, let's move ECM talk to this thread, setup buy a happy K Beaner a few days ago.
    Magic_Matt and Caps like this.

  33. #33
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Let's move our ECM talk to this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/showthread.php?t=43789
    Caps likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •